By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ESPN journalist Chris Broussard on NBA's Jason Collins: Homosexuality is a sin and living in sin isn't Christian

Cueil said:
prayformojo said:
ps3-sales! said:
Why are you condemning him for his opinion? That's pretty ignorant. Christians don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle; you act as if that's news?

Opinions are fine, but when it becomes a politcal CAMPAIGN? That's when I get mad. Alot of these Christian groups want acutal laws to prevent equal rights because of their belief system. To me, that's when the line is drawn and the fighting begins.

THIS makes me want to punch people in the face... They have equal rights... what you're talking about is special rights for a group of poeple who choose to live an alternate life style... and don't give me "it's not a choice" I make choices every day contrary to what I am.  Rights should be made to make sure they are not discriminated against and laws to assure that they are not pursicuted to protect them from violence. They should not get special rights to marry their partner.

As for the sin part... it is a SIN. This isn't debatable anymore then a LIE is a sin. Punching someone in the face without just cause is also a sin. In The Bible (yes people it is a book please as least capitolize it) the only sin that is unforgivable is blasphemy. All sin is equal in God's eyes... meaning it's all equally horrible and he can't look on us dirty pethetic sinners who bang our girlfriends and boyfriend or lie to our bosses when we're late or can't make it because we are sick(hungover).

Love the sinner, hate the sin. I fully support those who come out even if I don't agree with the life style they choose to live. That's on them and I am not responsible for the actions of other adults.

Equal rights means, you know, that we ALL have....equal....rights? It's not realy hard to understand. Whatever rights you have, the next human being should have them as well. If they don't? Kinda not equal......

Around the Network

I actually find this pretty offensive. I am not a christian but to be one, all you have to do is believe in jesus christ and that he is your saviour. plain and simple. THAT makes someone a christian. so to then say he isnt one just because this intolerant piece of shit doesnt like him...is despicable. jesus didnt tell his filthy rectum here to go around judging people and act like he is their god.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
I actually find this pretty offensive. I am not a christian but to be one, all you have to do is believe in jesus christ and that he is your saviour. plain and simple. THAT makes someone a christian. so to then say he isnt one just because this intolerant piece of shit doesnt like him...is despicable. jesus didnt tell his filthy rectum here to go around judging people and act like he is their god.

wow.... he didnt say he didnt like him first of all. and he is not being intolerant. 

Max King of the Wild said:
MrBubbles said:

wow.... he didnt say he didnt like him first of all. and he is not being intolerant. 

telling a christian they arent christian because they disagree with them and then condemning them for how they live is pretty intolerant.  as well as pretty indicative of their personal opinion on them.

and finally,

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
MrBubbles said:

telling a christian they arent christian because they disagree with them and then condemning them for how they live is pretty intolerant.  as well as pretty indicative of their personal opinion on them.

and finally,

he doesn't condfem them in any way. he actually says he is fine with them as long as they dont harp on him. he seems to be very understanding, at least from this qoute:

""“In talking to some people around the league, there’s a lot of Christians in the NBA, and just because they disagree with that lifestyle, they don’t want to be called bigoted and intolerant and things like that. That’s what L.Z. was getting at. Just like I may tolerate someone whose lifestyle I disagree with, he can tolerate my beliefs. He disagrees with my beliefs and my lifestyle, but true tolerance and acceptance is being able to handle that as mature adults and not criticize each other and call each other names….

“Personally, I don’t believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an openly premarital sex between heterosexuals, if you’re openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says you know them by their fruits, it says that’s a sin. If you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, adultery, fornication, premarital sex between heterosexuals, whatever it may be, I believe that’s walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ. I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I do not think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian.”""

I cant find anything wrong in that. He also does not say they aren't christian, merely that they are sinning, along with anyone who has sex out of marriage.

EDIT: I guess in the video he does he would not charactize them as a christian. But he certaintly seems reasonable in what he says an not that he is gay bashing in any way.

Around the Network
thranx said:
MrBubbles said:
MrBubbles said:

and finally,

he doesn't condfem them in any way. he actually says he is fine with them as long as they dont harp on him. he seems to be very understanding, at least from this qoute:

""“In talking to some people around the league, there’s a lot of Christians in the NBA, and just because they disagree with that lifestyle, they don’t want to be called bigoted and intolerant and things like that. That’s what L.Z. was getting at. Just like I may tolerate someone whose lifestyle I disagree with, he can tolerate my beliefs. He disagrees with my beliefs and my lifestyle, but true tolerance and acceptance is being able to handle that as mature adults and not criticize each other and call each other names….

“Personally, I don’t believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an openly premarital sex between heterosexuals, if you’re openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says you know them by their fruits, it says that’s a sin. If you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, adultery, fornication, premarital sex between heterosexuals, whatever it may be, I believe that’s walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ. I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I do not think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian.”""

I cant find anything wrong in that. He also does not say they aren't christian, merely that they are sinning, along with anyone who has sex out of marriage.

"I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I do not think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian"  aka they arent a christian.

MrBubbles said:
thranx said:
MrBubbles said:
MrBubbles said:

and finally,

"I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I do not think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian"  aka they arent a christian.

I did edit my post. but all he is saying is that they are not christian in his eyes. Which people should be entitled to their opinions. he doesnt say that they should be persecuted, or that they shouldn't be in church. He doesn't agree with their life style, whats wrong with that?

I'm a god warrior.

MrBubbles said:
thranx said:
MrBubbles said:

and finally,

I'm thinking your anger glasses are interfering with your ability to fully understand what he said, which is really quite simple. He didn't say 'there's no way he's a Christian', he said (please pay attention to the key phrase in BOLD) "I WOULDN"T CHARACTERIZE THAT PERSON as a Christian because I DO NOT THINK the Bible would...' By saying 'I wouldn't'  and 'I do not think', he was clearly framing this as his personal opinion on the matter, and in no way being intolerant. The first paragraph is pretty clear that he's not expressing hate, dislike, personal judgement against, or any intolerance at all (really quite the opposite), but merely (and very obviously) a personal opinion on specific actions or lifestyles, not just homosexuality, and not any judgement on the person. He even went as far as to equate the homosexual lifestyle to sex before marriage, just expressing his personal views on the subject.

I disagree with his assessment about the guy not being a Christian, because Christianity is not just about rules and never 'sinning', but accepting a personal savior to forgive your sins, but nothing in his statement was bigoted or intolerant of any individual or group.

My theology teacher brought this up in class yesterday because we are on the topic of homosexuality. He thinks they speaker would emphasis "leading a life of unrepentant sin" if he had a chance to clarify what he meant by not being a Christian. Not everyone are as clear as they think they are being when responding to a question on the whim. And its obvious why. Because they know what they mean but dont realize how the ones hearing it are understanding it.

Even so, nothing he said is even that controversial , if at all.