By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS4 outsell the XBox One and WiiU?

Think it depends on how the casual Market take to the xbox one

Ps4 - 75mil

Xbox one - 80mil

WiiU - 50mil

Around the Network

Of course sales are going to increase dramatically. Given that software I've named above it won't even need a price cut. Do you honestly think that the sales figures aren't going to explode when 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8 are released before Christmas...? Do you honestly believe that the PS4 and One aren't going to be supply constrained and do gangbusters at launch despite being more expensive than the Wii U..? If so then you should seek urgent psychological help and shouldn't be allowed outside without responsible adult supervision lol.

The Wii U won't even need a price cut to have an installed userbase between 8m and 10m+ on New Year's Day.

snowdog said:
Of course sales are going to increase dramatically. Given that software I've named above it won't even need a price cut. Do you honestly think that the sales figures aren't going to explode when 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8 are released before Christmas...? Do you honestly believe that the PS4 and One aren't going to be supply constrained and do gangbusters at launch despite being more expensive than the Wii U..? If so then you should seek urgent psychological help and shouldn't be allowed outside without responsible adult supervision lol.

The Wii U won't even need a price cut to have an installed userbase between 8m and 10m+ on New Year's Day.

Off course those games will sell a ton, but core gamers just don't care for games like Mario Kart or 3D Mario, especially when the ps4 is out before Christmas as well. Like I said, Nintendo can only sell big numbers if they can lure in the casuals again and not just the die hard Nintendo fans. WE still have to see how the casuals will repond to the Xone's Kinect 2.0 games, but the core gaming market seems to be locked down by Sony for the next gen. Also, supply contraints really don't mean a thing. It's the sales of the entire console life-cycle that will matter, not just launch numbers and holiday sales.

Zero999 said:
AnthonyW86 said:
snowdog said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the bandwidth either. You'll find developers happier working with two systems with low latency. As soonas GDDR5 was announced you've had developers happy about it but once they realise that the higher latency has the potential to cause bottlenecks they'll prefer working with the DDR3 and eDRAM/ESRAM combinations believe it or not.

Latency these days doesn't really matter that much, back in the day it could make a pretty significant change but not with the much higher clocks these days.  It doesn't really impact game performance(maybe 1%-2% tops), especially not with a APU one chip design and the memory sitting so close by. And for any gain it would give the gain of higher bandwith is bigger.

However Wii-U only has a bandwidth of 12.8 gb/s, witch is only have of what even the X360 and PS3 have.

and yet it makes stuff like zelda/ japanese garden demo and monolith x at the beggining of it's life, all of wich are quite superior than ps360 games. magic? nope, just technology. and if memory was a problem for wii u, it wouldn't be the most praised of it's parts by devs.

Exclusive software will still look great on the Wii-U, because they optimized everything for the system. If the bandwidth is limited, they will simply build the engine around that. However problems arise with multi-platform games and their engines. Also bandwidth becomes more important if you have more memory to fill, let me show you they problem:

Nintendo Wii: 88mb of memory with 4 gb/s of bandwidth.

Nintendo Wii-U 2000mb of memory with 12.8 gb/s of bandwidth

So the Wii-U has over 20 times the amount of memory but the bandwidth only tripled.

And again, you don't need to worry about engines working with the Wii U. Nintendo have been working closely with engine builders since the early stages of development. Any decent engine that runs on the PS4 and One will run fine on the Wii U, albeit with slight graphical downgrades.

Around the Network
snowdog said:
And again, you don't need to worry about engines working with the Wii U. Nintendo have been working closely with engine builders since the early stages of development. Any decent engine that runs on the PS4 and One will run fine on the Wii U, albeit with slight graphical downgrades.

Sure, they have been working closely with engine builders just to hear that their next gen engine isn't coming to the Wii U... at all...

goopy20 said:
snowdog said:

Sure, they have been working closely with engine builders just to hear that their next gen engine isn't coming to the Wii U... at all...

I'm expecting publisher demand causing Epic to bring UE4 support to the Wii U. It's only a matter of time. Mind you, I think Epic's stranglehold on the industry is beginning to loosen a little and will continue to do so as this gen goes on. I've heard nothing but bad reports from friends dealing with Epic's support, you'll see more publishers either creating their own alternatives or going for CryEngine instead.

And that's just one engine builder among many anyway.

You're going to see plenty of Unity 4-driven titles this gen due to developers getting a free licence with every dev kit and Sony arranging for Unity support for the PS4. Shame they couldn't manage to get a free licence for developers too though.

goopy20 said:
snowdog said:

Off course those games will sell a ton, but core gamers just don't care for games like Mario Kart or 3D Mario, especially when the ps4 is out before Christmas as well. Like I said, Nintendo can only sell big numbers if they can lure in the casuals again and not just the die hard Nintendo fans. WE still have to see how the casuals will repond to the Xone's Kinect 2.0 games, but the core gaming market seems to be locked down by Sony for the next gen. Also, supply contraints really don't mean a thing. It's the sales of the entire console life-cycle that will matter, not just launch numbers and holiday sales.

Dude, I haven't been back to this thread in a while, but I just wanted to call BS on the bold above.  Core games like ALL types of games.  

What you're describing sounds more like pubescent COD gamers who think gaming is related to image.  Thanks to the Wii, and general expansion of the market, Nintendo's fanbase (not just casuals as you put it) has grown.  Problem is those games they want are not out yet.

Bold 2:  Sonds like you're already gearing up to cover your ass if the other two consoles don't sell well.  And besides, to use your own argument againsts you, the Wii U has been out for less then a year and you are making sweeping judgements about it, yet we should know that we will have to wait to do the same thing for the other two.  What a load of rubbish.

I very much doubt it. Nintendo has a MASSIVE installed base with the Wii and 3DS. If Nintendo makes a $279.99 bundle for Wii U and Mario Kart, R.I.P. Sony and Microsoft. I still have a feeling that the 3DS is gonna dominate for the 3rd year in a row this Holiday though.

yes i believe so

my rough LT estimates as of now

PS4 130M
XB1 80M
WiiU 30M

Play Me