By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Capcom: “We’ve Got no Plans for a PS Vita Monster Hunter at the Moment”

ECM said:
BaldrSkies said:
It's kind of a myth that Monster Hunter made the PSP a success in Japan. It added maybe a few million sales, but given that the hardware sales is nearly 20 million (that's well beyond even the Wii) a few million from MH wouldn't make or break the system.

You he no idea how this works, do you? It's called *momentum*. The PSP derived almost all of the momentum that 'made' the platform from Monster Hunter--take that away, and it wouldn't have sold anywhere near the number of units it did. 

(It is *not* about absolute numbers, or you could say that COD had no beneficial effect on 360 since it 'only' sells 12-million units a year in a userbase of 70-million--*if* single games in a franchise are selling to 20%+ of a systems' overall userbase, you can be damn sure that game is woth its weight in gold, and its effects are far more than just the sum of the sales of any one SKU.)

The Monster Hunter "boom" didn't really start until MHP2G in March 2008. By then the PSP had already sold 8.5 million units in Japan. Monster Hunter did not make the system. It simply boosted what was already successful in its own right, this is not something to attribute to Capcom. If you look at PSP sales after each big MH release (MHP2G and MHP3), it gets a hardware boost but that boost dries up pretty quickly. You're really overestimating the momentum this one series generated for the PSP itself.

Around the Network
Magnus86 said:
Seems Capcom doesn't want easy money... well, 20h on the Soul Sacrifice demo and no regrets. ;)

Well I'm sure Nintendo is compensating them nicely otherwise MH4 would be multplatform. Its the only logical thing to assume from the fact that Capcom made a massive U turn before Vita was even out and whilst the 3DS was still underperforming. They went from demoing monster hunter on the Vita to what we see today. MH3 HD would have made for a nice launch title :(

So if PSV needs Monster Hunter, what are Sony going to do about it? Capcom says "No plans at the moment" does that mean the door's open and Sony are talking to them about it? Or Capcom is waiting for Sony to knock on their door? Unless a developer says "Franchise X will not be made on Console Y" it always means there's potential for the franchise to make an appearance.

There's no doubt Monster Hunter would sell well on PSV. PSV is getting somewhat better sales in Japan and it's climbing towards a reasonable install base. I get the feeling Nintendo bought a period of MH exclusivity, 2-3 years maybe. Capcom are hedging, and if PSV gets a decent install base in Japan after 3 years there is a good chance of PSV getting a MH game.

Monster Hunter Freedom came out for PSP in 2005 when PSP had an install base of 2 Million in Japan, and it went on to sell 1 million. I do find it interesting that the "Freedom" title isn't on 3DS.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Booyah said:
007BondAgent said:
pretty weak considering it was originally a psp franchise

this is why i dislike capcom

So by the same logic I'm assuming you hate Square seeing as how Final Fantasy was originally a NES/SNES franchise?

finalfantasy are still on nintendo handhelds

007BondAgent said:
Booyah said:
007BondAgent said:
pretty weak considering it was originally a psp franchise

this is why i dislike capcom

So by the same logic I'm assuming you hate Square seeing as how Final Fantasy was originally a NES/SNES franchise?

finalfantasy are still on nintendo handhelds

Monster Hunter are also still on Sony handhelds.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
RazorDragon said:
007BondAgent said:
Booyah said:
007BondAgent said:

Correction: Final Fantasy will be on future Nintendo handhelds just like they have been in the past (there's been at least one title on each system even the GB/C).

Monster Hunter is only on PSP as far as Sony handhelds go and I wouldnt be surprised if Capcom doesnt release/make one for the Vita. Like people have said why make a new version or port over to a system with a small userbase. Capcom's going to go to where the money is gonna be made and stay in one place. Squareenix will do the same but I think its possible a FF title can still be made on the Vita (oh wait FFX is coming out on the Vita as well nvm).

N64 didn't get a Final Fantasy game, and Nintendo haven't gotten any of the "main" franchise since the SNES era. If Capcom made as many monster hunter games as Square made Final Fantasy games then there would be enough spin-offs to fit on every system.

I was just addressing the issue that being mad at Capcom for this move but being ok with Square is a double standard. And if they do start putting games on Vita, maybe we should allow them time to actually make games before we crucify them?

BasilZero said:
Booyah said:
BasilZero said:
RazorDragon said:
007BondAgent said:
Booyah said:
007BondAgent said:

Correction: Final Fantasy will be on future Nintendo handhelds just like they have been in the past (there's been at least one title on each system even the GB/C).

Monster Hunter is only on PSP as far as Sony handhelds go and I wouldnt be surprised if Capcom doesnt release/make one for the Vita. Like people have said why make a new version or port over to a system with a small userbase. Capcom's going to go to where the money is gonna be made and stay in one place. Squareenix will do the same but I think its possible a FF title can still be made on the Vita (oh wait FFX is coming out on the Vita as well nvm).

N64 didn't get a Final Fantasy game, and Nintendo haven't gotten any of the "main" franchise since the SNES era. If Capcom made as many monster hunter games as Square made Final Fantasy games then there would be enough spin-offs to fit on every system.

I was just addressing the issue that being mad at Capcom for this move but being ok with Square is a double standard. And if they do start putting games on Vita, maybe we should allow them time to actually make games before we crucify them?

Notice I said Nintendo Handhelds...I dont think the Nintendo 64 is a handheld.

Its pretty obvious that both Squareenix and Capcom are the eastern equivalent to EA so I'm pretty sure any mistake be it little or big is enough of a reason to bash them especially with all the stuff they did recently l0l.

Sorry, I just misread when you said every system had a FF game.

I don't have a problem with what either company has done regarding FF (besides the slide in quality for the games) or Monster Hunter. I just think its funny the double standard that people have sometimes.

Carl2291 said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Carl2291 said:
I think people need a reality check.

PlayStation Vita Japan Sales - 1,471,044

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3DS JP Sales - 1,863,668

Numbers speak louder than words.

Absolutely! That's 1,471,044 additional potential costumers, they should start working on it at once.

They ignored a JP userbase of 30 Million last generation. A userbase of less than 1.5 Million is hardly enticing when youre already working with a userbase of over 10 Million.

The first MH Freedom was released in Japan when PSP was at ~7M WW and ~2.2M in Japan.
The second was released in Japan when it was at ~20.8M WW and ~4.9M in Japan.
MH Freedom Unite, best seller not only on PSP, but also of the whole franchise, was released in Japan when PSP was at ~35.4M WW and ~8.6M in Japan.

If there is no exclusive, or just a timed one for 3DS, these numbers can suggest us when PSV could become interesting for Capcom, and if it will happen, also how many MH titles it could release for it, depending on HW growth trend and the title's attach rate.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Scisca said:
ironmanDX said:
Scisca said:
As long as crapcom keeps ignoring Vita, I'm going to ignore crapcom. Personally, I don't really care about MH.

Lol, didn't have to look far after all.

Yeah, you could try to read my whole post and see that I do care about RE: R. Don't try so hard to be such a smarta$$, cause you obviously can't do it and just humiliate yourself.

I did read it all. Why not by console Resident Evil games hmm? The idea of not buying Capcom games just because MH didn't release on the Vita is stupid. That would act as more of a deterrent if anything. The more games they sell, the more they will release. The more they release on the Vita, the more Vita's get sold, the more games they sell again in turn to release more.

As long as they keep their biggest guns off of Vita, they won't get a single penny from me.

If you think that boycotting them will work though, by all means.... It hasn't worked so far, has it.

ryuzaki57 said:
Soundwave said:

Where exactly does the WiiU benefit Capcom at all?

- Lower userbase (much lower)

- More expensive development cost

They can sell far more Monster Hunter games on the 3DS at a cheaper dev cost. Why even bother with the WiiU. Capcom isn't supporting the platform at all anyway.

Fixed!

And yeah, why do superior versions of games when you can do gimped ones for lower cost? Developers should also still work on DS games. Seriously, the gaming industry isn't looking too brilliant with reasonings like this...

then why bother making games for ps3 at all when the PC is a far superior platform? Or was your response supposed to be a dig. Maybe the gaming industry is looking at the install base of specific hardware before committing millions of dollars to projects that may not be profitable.