By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is E3 really necessary in our day and age for the big 3?

JakDaSnack said:
No, their is absolutely no need for Nintendo to have a big show at E3, the only ones who think that it is a big deal are Nintendo haters trying to throw another punch at Nintendo, that's it. Nintendo directs are a much bigger deal nowadays, and if they continue to announce the big games during Nintendo directs, it will only get bigger.

I think it is a big deal, and I love Nintendo and have a Wii U. But their whole strategy for the console has been a mess so far. The apologies for lack of games, and now swapping E3 for a couple of Nintendo Directs? That is just a bad idea, I mean their last one has been out for a week and has 206,000 views, but a Sony video on the DualShock 4 out yesterday? 230,000 views already. They are taking an online strategy that is doing worse than the competition, and deciding to rely on it in place of the biggest presentation of the year.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Around the Network
Just_Rocco said:
theprof00 said:
Just_Rocco said:
theprof00 said:
One major component of e3 is getting to square off. You get to see what the internet thinks of the show, and who won. This is a great time for gathering information on what the consumers found interesting, especially how they feel the consoles stack up against each other.

Or, you know...GAMES! Who needs this WWE nonsense with it really?

er, that's what I meant by the consoles, the console offerings.

A console is only as strong as its games. So, if M$ and Sony only talk about their new consoles  at E3 and no actual games, you'd be okay with that?

no,no, you're getting confused with the wording. Console offerings is the games.

When we have an e3 thread, saying Sony won, or ps3 won is pretty much interchangeable. Even though it was games we were looking at, it's reasonable to say that the 'consoles were pitted against each other', so to speak.

Just_Rocco said:
Its not the 90's anymore. What next? Nintendo needs that Electronic Gaming Monthly cover story in order for anyone to know about their game? How about a cereal box?

That's what I mean.  Trade show is the key phrase.  Back in the 90's where you had to see for yourself the video evidence of a game.  The only ones that will benefit from a trade show like E3 are your smaller companies that don't have this mainstream presence.  The ones that need the real boost in noteriety are Cloud consoles like the now defunct Onlive or OUYA.  They're the ones that truly need E3.  Sure, Sony and Microsoft will get a boost during this year's E3, but that's because they chose E3 to be the venue to show their wares.  Mind you, it's will be a watered down boost, since both machines will again duel for most badass.  I would have easily taken Sony's last conference ps4 unveiling than wait another 2 months before we get the E3 version. 

Osc89 said:
JakDaSnack said:
No, their is absolutely no need for Nintendo to have a big show at E3, the only ones who think that it is a big deal are Nintendo haters trying to throw another punch at Nintendo, that's it. Nintendo directs are a much bigger deal nowadays, and if they continue to announce the big games during Nintendo directs, it will only get bigger.

I think it is a big deal, and I love Nintendo and have a Wii U. But their whole strategy for the console has been a mess so far. The apologies for lack of games, and now swapping E3 for a couple of Nintendo Directs? That is just a bad idea, I mean their last one has been out for a week and has 206,000 views, but a Sony video on the DualShock 4 out yesterday? 230,000 views already. They are taking an online strategy that is doing worse than the competition, and deciding to rely on it in place of the biggest presentation of the year.

bolded: they're not swapping anything and considering the last two wii u focused directs (earlier this year and last september) were better than many e3, i wouldn't complain about it.

Osc89 said:
JakDaSnack said:

This, are people serious? Are they trying to compare NDs to damn E3?! NDs are for Ninty fans, those are the ones watching it. E3 reaches, press and a much wider audience. It doesnt even compare. Even if, NDs were more popular why not do both the show and NDs like they have been doing for years? 

OT the whole thing is laughable, so Ninty is going to have a much lower presence and all of a sudden E3 is unneccesary? Please, i wonder if some would feel that way if Sony or MS didnt show. 

Around the Network
Osc89 said:
JakDaSnack said:

Those view counts are misleading.  I watched most of it from gametrailers.  Others watch from IGN or other gaming sites.  So it doesn't really tally the real amount of views it's had.  Youtube numbers are never a good estimate of how popular something is when that something is popular enough to have many different posts. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzYIFEjuEc4

The link is for a full PS3 conference for 2012, posted 10 months ago, by GAMESPOT.  Only 478,166 views.  So E3 viewership isn't represented. 

As for their online strategy, who knows. 

I could have sworn years ago there was an attempt to subdue E3 and it was a smaller event for a spell. Then everyone came back and it is as big or bigger than ever.

Personally I get more excited about PAX and that is the show I dream of attending as it is a gamers first feel from all I've read and seen.

Osc89 said:
JakDaSnack said:

I honestly think people spend more time watching those clips of the games after the direct is over. I only watch the full direct the 1st time. The rest I spend on clips of games. Plenty of clips that have more views than the direct.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Big information blowouts and generating media excitement is extremely important for any company. E3 is supposed to be the biggest example of such in our industry. In that way, it is important.

However the industry isn't "the big 3" anymore. The industry is evolving and E3 has maintained its rather stagnant approach for years and years. In that sense, it's declining in relevancy.

Nintendo is changing the gaming world again, so it`s normal for the Microsoft and Sony fans to be mad.
in a few years e3 will be no more.