By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If You Haven't Bought a Wii U, Why Not?

Why Don't You Own A Wii U?

I'm not a Nintendo fan. 57 10.40%

Not enough games yet. 94 17.15%

I don't have enough money. 43 7.85%

Waiting for a price cut. 32 5.84%

Waiting for a Zelda/Metroid/etc.. 38 6.93%

I'm not a console gamer. 4 0.73%

The GamePad doesn't interest me. 46 8.39%

Dunno... 7 1.28%

I already own one. 146 26.64%

Not powerful enough. 80 14.60%

Total:547

Mine's just arrived today. It's refusing to download the new update. The 3DS gave me the same problems when it came to downloading updates. Not happy at all.

Around the Network

Ive been a multiple console owner every gen since the NES (minus last gen I pretty much roamed the streets my teen years so I skipped it). This gen I will probably stay a one console owner. It's expensive and I don't have as much time. Considering Nintendo completely fucked up with the Wii for me and Sony nailed the Ps3 I think it will be the first time I don't own a Nintendo system... Who knows though, Zelda may force me to buy the Wii U. After all, that was the game I bought the Wii for

I got one for free so I didnt have to buy one xD

I bought it on December and I don´t regret it at all.
Actually, the main reason for me to buying it was my family. I had a Wii and we enjoyed multiplayer sessions a lot on it, specially on weekends when we were not traveling. When I got the WiiU, I sended the Wii to my brother (who lives in the countryside) and we kept playing games on the new console.
I not a big fan of home consoles actually - have been playing much more on portables for the last 2 years - but I´ve been having a great time with it. Our current collection is NMSBU, Cod:Bo2, MH, TTT2, NintendoLand, Sonic All-Stars Racing, ZombiU, Lego Cities, JD4.

Just as a note, I also play on Xbox360 regularly, because my nephew has one.

Nothing on it that interests me until Pikmin 3 releases, and Pikmin 3 alone is not reason enough for me to buy a console. As with Vita, it'll have to have 3 games that I really, want to play.

3D Mario should make two, and I'll have to see if anything else Nintendo has in the pipeline makes three.

Around the Network
FrancisNobleman said:
All the haters voting the gamepad does not interested them, would sing a different tune if sony or microsoft came up with a rip off, like how they trashed the wiimote and all of a sudden motion controls were the "future".

The only majority I've seen saying that motion control was the future were Wii fans.  Few PS360 fans even like the Kinect and Move, much less have said they were the future of gaming.

The Wii U is as much the future of gaming as the DS because that's exactly what the Wii U is.  A consolized DS without the software.  I really like the DS and 3DS, but it's a fact that the second screen on 99.9% of all DS and 3DS games has displayed nothing butt a map, status, or inventory screen.  There is the extremely rare game that has actually put the DS to good use and used the full screen meaningfully.  Feel the Magic, Rub Rabbits, Contra 4, and Lunar Dragon Song are the only ones I can think of that actually utilized the extra screen rather than being the usual map, inventory, status screen.

The Wii U pad has been shown to be the same as the 3DS' second screen.  So far, almost every game released has used it as a map, inventory screen, status screen, or an accumulation of them.  There's the off screen play using the Wii U pad which is a nice feature, but most people probably will have an available television for use, and if anyone wants to take their system with them to a friends home, they'll more than likely bring one of their portable devices and/or games from consoles their friends already own.   

enditall727 said:
Cobretti2 said:
I want to know the 50 people who said not powerful enough? Did you buy a gamecube or a n64 as they were more powerful than their competitors?

I damn sure bought those bad boys!

Nintendo didnt receive this "underpowered" image until the wii came around

I chose it, and I had a 64 and loved it.  Exclusives aside, even if the Wii U gets every single third-party title that the PS4 and Xbox get, almost all of them (allowing for a few lazy ports) will be technically inferior.  And that just doesn't work for me.  I personally can't justify buying something that's immediately sub-par just to be able to enjoy Smash Brothers and Zelda (which admittedly are both great franchises).

It's all about the game.

I see no reason to buy one today compared to a couple years from now. There is no "wow, I want to play this game NOW" factor here. I could see being very happy in 2015/2016 buying a Wii U for $150-$200 and getting Smash and Mario and a half dozen other games. In the meantime I am quite content with my 3DS and PS3 for the short term.

I've had all Nintendo console from the Snes to the Wii. But I'll probably never buy a Wii U because

1. The Wii legacy : the concept was new, innovative and great. It was small, retrocompatible with one of the best console (Gamecube) but was something completely new. But the console was already too underpowered, obscolete in terms of configuration (no HD) and the downside of selling a lot of cheap console to casual gamers and women made AAA and quality publishers flee the saturation. So now, it's so easy to play HD upscaled Wii game on Dolphin that there is no point in keeping the Wii contray to the PS3 or 360

2. The Wii U project : this is the first time Nintendo doesn't release a completely new console, with new design and new pad, but just a weak follow. This couldn't be good and turns out...

3. The Wii U concept : is really bad. There is nothing innovative, the design is the same, which are not really problem since the wiimote still is a killer idea. But the Wiipad idea is terrible

4. The Wii specs : once again, the Wii is already obsolete for the futur game streaming, 4K resolution, blu-ray, wireless DLNA future. BUT most importantly, this is WAY too underpowered at a time where people are really expecting a big jump forwarded more than they expected back at the time of the Wii release

lilwingman said:
enditall727 said:
Cobretti2 said:
I want to know the 50 people who said not powerful enough? Did you buy a gamecube or a n64 as they were more powerful than their competitors?

I damn sure bought those bad boys!

Nintendo didnt receive this "underpowered" image until the wii came around

I chose it, and I had a 64 and loved it.  Exclusives aside, even if the Wii U gets every single third-party title that the PS4 and Xbox get, almost all of them (allowing for a few lazy ports) will be technically inferior.  And that just doesn't work for me.  I personally can't justify buying something that's immediately sub-par just to be able to enjoy Smash Brothers and Zelda (which admittedly are both great franchises).

And those third party releases(the ones that aren't running on the new Unreal Engine that WON'T work on WIIu) will look technologically inferior OR they're going to run slower.

My question to people?  Wii Who?