By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Gamecube Games become Wii U Virtual Console Titles? Is it possible?

If I understand correctly a GC disc only held 1.5GB so storage/download size isn't an issue...
And TruckOSaurus you are right but many more people want to play GC games that don't actually own a GC...
If Nintendo could make this work, with Star Wars Rogue Leader, F-Zero GX, Mario Kart DD, Resident Evil 4, Wave Race Blue Storm and even Super Mario Sunshine they could be on a winner....

Around the Network

i am keeping my wii around because it is bc with gamecube games, i kept eternal darkness and its still on of the best. plus the vc games i already bought. this isnt going to move wiius. not with so many wiis already out. it seems like a linear move that will not really hurt or help them. though yes its a nice feature.

fillet said:
Not going to happen, not powerful enough to emulate it without massive investment - which we all know Nintendo doesn't do.

The architecture is very similar (PPC 750), emulation would not be required

I hope so. Playing VC on the gamepad is great. GC games on the pad would be awesome. just look at some homemade portable gamecubes or n64s on youtube, and you'll get an idea of what gc games could be like on the U pad.

I hope so, but in reality the only GC I really want is ZeldaWW and that is getting a upgrade / retail release.

If it does I hope the entire VC gets a price reduction across the board.

Around the Network

I hope so, playing Resident Evil 4 or Metroid Prime on the gamepad would be epic.

TruckOSaurus said:
KHlover said:
It definately is. I spend a bit of my time on the GBAtemp.net forum where many homebrew developers reside, one of them is the developer of the homebrew app "Devolution". Devolution is a GCN backup loader for the Wii, which requires the actual game disk in the DVD drive to prevent piracy. A problem is that certain versions of the Wii (the black model) do no longer have ports for Gamecube controllers or memory card slots, rendering these models unfit for the app. Since many people bugged the dev with these issues he already has found a way to emulate the memory card from SD and posted he made good progress with emulating the GCN controller using a Dual Shock 3 (aka PS3 controller). Once he figured out a piracy protection for the WiiU he will also release Devolution on it.

-> Gamecube games on the WiiU are 100% possible, it is purely Nintendo's decision whether they want them on VC or not.

Am I missing something or is this app totally useless? The Wii already plays GCN games.

Ahaha, I forgot you only have to insert the disk at the FIRST start, making this a true backup loader as it indeed only loads your own backups. Anyways, this backup loader (the other one without piracy protection even more) is important since it allows the Gamecube mode of the Wii to use functions like bluetooth or the previously mentioned USB- and SD-Port, which it natively couldn't (since the original Gamecube had neither USB nor Bluetooth ports). Of course this is more of a nice-to-have feature (like the Wii backup loaders) on the Wii, but it will be very important for Gamecube emulation on the WiiU.

I thought this was a given already, even confirmed. The question is when.

And also if other systems will be supported again... *snif* SEGA...

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:

I thought this was a given already, even confirmed. The question is when.

And also if other systems will be supported again... *snif* SEGA...

Nintendo has only confirmed NES, SNES, N64 and GBA.

Soleron said:
fillet said:
Not going to happen, not powerful enough to emulate it without massive investment - which we all know Nintendo doesn't do.

The architecture is very similar (PPC 750), emulation would not be required

That's the CPU covered, still need GPU/Sound/IO emulation, lots of programming Nintendo won't do.