By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global UP! 20th April 2013

foodfather said:

um no...

Gears of War J is far less of a follow up than God of War A. Different developer, different mechanics even different main characters... God of War A at least was designed as a continuation of the franchise and has a lot in common with God of War 3.

GOWA's budget is bound to be much higher than GOWJ, especially with that superbowl spot which costs millions of dollars.

Thanks for not answer my question.

And no... GoW:A is not a continuation, neither a main plot into the GoW fanchise... Kratos is human and not semi-God like in the first GoW... it is prequel not related to the main story (you can fit it in the PSP games timeline I guess).

GoW:A sold sold ok for a prequel... Gears not... that's my point.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

foodfather said:

um no...

Gears of War J is far less of a follow up than God of War A. Different developer, different mechanics even different main characters... God of War A at least was designed as a continuation of the franchise and has a lot in common with God of War 3.

GOWA's budget is bound to be much higher than GOWJ, especially with that superbowl spot which costs millions of dollars.

Thanks for not answer my question.

And no... GoW:A is not a continuation, neither a main plot into the GoW fanchise... Kratos is human and not semi-God like in the first GoW... it is prequel not related to the main story (you can fit it in the PSP games timeline I guess).

GoW:A sold sold ok for a prequel... Gears not... that's my point.

Gears isn't just a prequel, its a spin off... 

MS didn't hype GOWJ up one bit, it was never intended to be a follow up to Gears of War 3. GOWA on the other hand with its massive budget and superbowl spots was supposed to be the next great chapter in the God of War series, for that... it flopped. 

Retailers are proof of this, GOWA is discounted pretty much everywhere, logic should tell you that if a game gets a swift price cut, it has been over shipped. GOWJ hasn't had any price cuts, its doing just fine. 

foodfather said:

MS didn't hype GOWJ up one bit, it was never intended to be a follow up to Gears of War 3. GOWA on the other hand with its massive budget and superbowl spots was supposed to be the next great chapter in the God of War series, for that... it flopped.

Retailers are proof of this, GOWA is discounted pretty much everywhere, logic should tell you that if a game gets a swift price cut, it has been over shipped. GOWJ hasn't had any price cuts, its doing just fine.

GoW IV is suppose to be the next great chapter in the GoW series... you know that even before GoW:A be announced... nobody expected more than that.

And in US the Gears:J have a $10 deal in some places... GoW:A is full priced yet.

Excuses and excuses but there are no real excuses to these sales.... 3 million to 750k is a 75% drop... and Gears always sold more than GoW but now that the sales are not that good the fans expect more from GoW than Gears... I don't get that because GoW never sold like Gears... GoW have more legs than Gears but that is another point to be showed in the next months of sales.

ethomaz said:

foodfather said:

GoW IV is suppose to be the next great chapter in the GoW series... you know that even before GoW:A be announced... nobody expected more than that.

And in US the Gears:J have a $10 deal in some places... GoW:A is full priced yet.

Excuses and excuses but there are no real excuses to these sales.... 3 million to 750k is a 75% drop... and Gears always sold more than GoW but now that the sales are not that good the fans expect more from GoW than Gears... I don't get that because GoW never sold like Gears... GoW have more legs than Gears but that is another point to be showed in the next months of sales.

No real excuses for these sales??? I'm starting to think there is something wrong with you. 

What is so hard to understand that GOWJ is in no way shape or some meant to be any kind of follow up to Gears of War 3. Different developer, different controls, different game mechanics, different characters, different multiplayer and zero marketing. That is the reason for the 75% drop. GOWJ is a spin off, it is never meant to follow the success of the main series...

If Sony release an prequal Uncharted game staring Sully, with a different developer, different controls and no marketing, do you not think  the sales would also be 75% less... 

foodfather said:

No real excuses for these sales??? I'm starting to think there is something wrong with you. 

What is so hard to understand that GOWJ is in no way shape or some meant to be any kind of follow up to Gears of War 3. Different developer, different controls, different game mechanics, different characters, different multiplayer and zero marketing. That is the reason for the 75% drop. GOWJ is a spin off, it is never meant to follow the success of the main series...

If Sony release an prequal Uncharted game staring Sully, with a different developer, different controls and no marketing, do you not think  the sales would also be 75% less... 

Ohhhh really? Can I make some questions?

1) What is GoA:A for you?

For me it is a spin off too... there are three main games (GoW, GoWII and GoWIII) and there are four spin offs (Chains of Olympus, Ghost of Sparta, Betrayal and Ascension)... you know when a game is a spin off when it get a new title and not a sequential number. I know the Gears:J is made by another dev like Halo 4 and what that means? I don't know... can hurt sales? Of course it can but it a excuse or rule? No... Halo 4 sold ok for the Halo (I know Halo 4 is a direct sequel).

2) In what world GoW have close sales to Gears?

GoW is a 5 million franchise... Gears is a 7 million franchise.
GoW is more leg wise... Gears is more front loaded.

Gears needs to sell a lot at launch to sustain the sales... GoW not... 700k for GoW is fine (500k less than GoWIII) and it will reach 3 million with these sales... 700k for Gears is bad (2 million less than Gears3) and it will reach 2 million in the end.

Well that is my opinion and I think the GoW:A is just a preview to make test with the new combat system and the new MP part to come in GoWIV... so a spin off to get the feeling about what the fans like or not with the new features... Epic moments, and strong story like everybody expected will come in GoWIV for PS4.