By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Major Issue that Needs to be Addressed by Moderators

Carl2291 said:
BenVTrigger said:
Give me a break.

People make jokes about men on here constantly. Your on forums on the Internet grow tougher skin

Just because were on the Internet doesnt mean we should just sit back and take shit from people. Some stuff offends certain people. To tell someone to just get thicker skin is just stupid.

There is a reason the rules are here. They should be kept to, not ignored.

@BenVTrigger I love a thick skin. I practice it vigilantly. Both on the internet and in the art world, where people will constantly knit pick at every mistake, thing they think is horrible in my art. So that point is lost on me.

The point is, saying "Oh grow a thick skin, get over it"... what is VGC, Gladiator for trolls? You know, I come here out of choice... if I get upset, I close a thread immediately and go back to work. I almost never start a flamewar if really ever. I think I practice very well what people are trying to pass off as just "thick-skinned".

The problem is really the apathy. You guys think, hey it's OK... let's have a select few users who prefer to stay ignorant about their own behavior discuss and joke and do whatever the heck they want. Then why even have moderators? Is this the Wild West for trolls? Or do we actually care about the quality of discussion in this community? Maybe you don't actually care I don't know.

It's not "over-sensitivity" that drove me to make this post. Yes, I have a personal gripe about the female thing... yeah, I get tired of nothing being done when it's clear contradiction with the rules. It's a problem. But it's not just a female problem, there are huge problems with the standards in this site. It's driving away decent discussion and driving away users... eventually, it may even drive me away because as it is I don't login nearly as often because I am already like that.... if I don't like it, why the hell am I reading it? But... I care enough to make this OP... but you know, if I don't say something, the other girls will get harassed and leave so I might as well say something for them rather than put up with it because you think I need to grow a "thick skin"

I can have a thick skin, and still have pretty big opinions of things. I have addressed the "grow a thicker skin" argument, so I wil just move on at this point... other people have/are making points already to that effect anyway.

Edit: I should still point out though there is a difference between "thick skin" and "apathy"... we can very well control the level of discussion on this forum and do things to make it better, but why do that... you usually have a"thick skin" for dealing with things you can't control. ... Ok, last on that topic.

Around the Network

So if a woman made a joke about one of you guys having a boner you would become upset and want her banned?

I mean come on people. That is just rediculous

Link to thread / joke please.

pezus said:
badgenome said:
I'm not sure he meant anything by that, but banning Galaki is something I can always get behind.

And badgenome is someone I can always get behind

brendude13 said:
Link to thread / joke please.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=159026&page=1#2

the link is actually the first thing in the OP

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
So if a woman made a joke about one of you guys having a boner you would become upset and want her banned?

I dont find racist jokes offensive, it doesnt mean they arent offensive to others. Just because I dont care if people insult my race... If someone called me white trash, I wouldnt care. If I called someone a little chink, they would care.

People have thicker skin than others. Different things offend different people. Thats just the way it is.

pezus said:

And badgenome is someone I can always get behind

Just don't stand too close... it makes me nervous.

Carl2291 said:
BenVTrigger said:

I dont find racist jokes offensive, it doesnt mean they arent offensive to others. Just because I dont care if people insult my race... If someone called me white trash, I wouldnt care. If I called someone a little chink, they would care.

People have thicker skin than others. Different things offend different people. Thats just the way it is.

Except for the fact he never insulted women

She made a thread about a PM problem and he made a joke about PMS.  A play on words.  I mean my god if were banning people based on something as simple as that now the entire forum will be perma banned within 2 weeks.  This nothing more than someone being oversensitive about litteraly nothing.  There was zero attack on women in his comment

KHlover said:
Carl2291 said:
KHlover said:
It is not only our Blue Slime Rocket and it is not only PMS jokes. Certain users on this site (mostly senior members) seem to be able to get away with anything, all you will hear is along the lines of "Hurr durr, he's always been like this. That's just who he is. Deal with it."

Fuck this, I don't care if he got away with violating the forum rules for years. I do my best to follow the forum rules and keep up a normal discussion, so if someone purposely breaks them he should be punished accordingly. I understand that the mods have LOADS of works to do and can't possibly keep controlling all threads. But reporting certain people doesn't seem to have any impact at all.

Btw. I wholeheartedly (is this even a word? :D) agree with all of your points, Marucha^^

Name names. Dont be shy.

And thus break the forum rules myself? Nope, not gonna happen.

You wont be breaking any rule. You havent insulted anyone.

BenVTrigger said:
Give me a break.

People make jokes about men on here constantly. Your on forums on the Internet grow tougher skin

Why should she (or anybody else, including males) should grow tougher skin for browsing a forum?

The first job of a moderator should be to create a healthy and fun environment on the site that they are moderating, for all the users. I think the mods of this site are failing at that however I basically don't care about personal attacks or trolling so it doesn't bothers me that much, but is obvious that it bothers some people.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"