By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - development of GoW: A (may or may not) have cost 50 million $

Tagged games:

So a swiss newspaper did some article about the development of GoW A and i found this part to be interesting:

Rough translation
"how much the developnet of a game costs is usually not disclosed. However lead producer of God of War Ascention  Whitney Wade said that they invested a medium sized doubble digit amount of millions. Meaning the development of the newest GoW game cost about 50 million dollar.

The 50 million statment comes from the newspaper. They seem to have interpreted "medium sized" as the middle (it is a newspaper that is known for bad jurnalism after all). So take it with a grain of salt. Still according to the statment dev costs probably were betwen 40-60 million dollars.
So what do you tink? to expensive? to cheap?

Keep in mind that UC and Havey rain apparently only cost about 20 mil dollars.

Around the Network

UC 2 and 3 only cost 20mil.. not a chance

If the game cost $50 million to produce, then factoring in marketing costs this game needs to sell ~1.2 million at full price to turn a profit.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I think they're making some pretty huge assumptions based on not a lot of information. I doubt GoW:A cost 50 million. The engine/tech was already in place as well as some of the art assets from GoW3. GoW3 may have cost between 40-60 million, but with a lot of the tech already in place, I doubt Ascension would cost that much.

binary solo said:
If the game cost $50 million to produce, then factoring in marketing costs this game needs to sell ~1.2 million at full price to turn a profit.

The Super Bowl advertisment alone was probably a few million.

Around the Network

GOW 3 cost is already known, 44 million. They had the tools in place already, I doubt it is more than that. 40 million s my guess.

Nsanity said:
binary solo said:

Yep 1.2 million @ full price = $72 million. I figure around $20 million marketing, 10% of the marketing budget on Superbowl sounds about right.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Lol! No....... no way

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Considering it's going to sell at least 3 mil, and heavy rain made Sony 100m with 2.5m sales... not bad at all, seems very profitable. I doubt it really cost 50m though.

kowenicki said:
binary solo said:
Nsanity said:
binary solo said:

Yep 1.2 million @ full price = $72 million. I figure around $20 million marketing, 10% of the marketing budget on Superbowl sounds about right.

retailers sell it for free? 

That's the $2 million. Don't retailers get screwed on new games?

Jimi Hendrix