By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much money Sony really lost with the PS3

CGI-Quality said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't know what you're babbling about.

So I'll just say again. A cheaper Xbox 360 and some nice bundle software with the entry model would have boosted sales.

MS didn't really if PS3 surpassed the 360 in overall sales so it didn't happen.

I'm sorry you mistake reality for "babbling", but it is what it is. If I'm wrong, then how do you explain the higher priced PS3 outselling its closest competition? 

Also, whether Microsoft "cared"  if the PS3 ever passed their product or not is irrelevant (though I agree that at this point, they probably don't). If it was going to happen, I firmly believe that more price cuts may have only gotten them so far. 

No, your babbling is just your opinion. The Elite 360 cost more than a PS3.  The entry model includes no HDD or games.

For the record, I'm just saying further price cuts to the 360 would have slowed the gap from closing. Why is that getting you so worked up?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
archbrix said:
Max King of the Wild said:
archbrix said:

My, my... your lack of reading comprehension is alarming. I sincerely hope you're doing this on purpose just to boost your post count.

If you think I lack reading comprehension then I honestly dont think you know what you are saying. Or at least, what you say means

And therein lies your problem.  But hey, I suppose we're all wrong huh?  Oh, and paranoid...

No, only slowmo is paranoid which is comments have shown that I have provided.

Also: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=158991&page=1# Look at the picture People don't call soft drinks Coke except for the south like I said.

Machiavellian said:
torok said:
CGI-Quality said:
Glass half empty perspective. On the other foot, to some, it must ache, just a tad, knowing that Sony's worst console will still outsell Microsoft's best.

Yes, that is even more interesting if we look at how bad they managed the PS3 launch and still came a year later. In the end, Sony's totally terrible management of the first 4 years of PS3 (price, launch date, PSN hack) will still beat the best effort MS ever made in consoles.

When you really look at it, its not that interesting.  Sony sold about 6 mill in Japan where MS does not have a  market.  That alone gives Sony a huge boost in global sells. Sony also sell in more markets then MS which is also a boost to their total global sells.  When the PS3 came out it always sold more than the 360 even with the higher price because of the PS brand.  The fact that Sony probably will take 2nd everybody pretty much stated that from the beginning.  The difference is that people stated it would be much sooner than 7 years.

If you look at it from MS perspective.  The first Xbox was a complete lost finiancially.  The 360 also started this way and also had its own troubles but MS was able to tripple the size of its install base.  Tripple the size of its online userbase.  Start to make a profit on each console and make quite a penny on it online services.  Take over 2 major markets from your competitior which is the US and UK.  Increase your market share in Europe and sell to other regions.  

So while the fanboys can thump their breast at getting 2nd place, as a product I am sure MS is very happy with what the 360 has done and it gives them a competitive chance to battle Sony PS brand without having to rush to market.

It seems people always takes this narrow view that who sales the most console is the winner but in reality, its a much longer war.  I am sure a company wants to continue to move forward than go one step forward then 2 steps behind only to have to play catch up again.

Yeah, lets take out Japan to favor MS. While we are at it lets take out US too because that favors MS... and hell... why not take out everything else because that favors one of the other too... That line of thinking is absolutely ridiculous. It isn't Sony's fault that MS can't gain traction in Japan. Just like its not MS' fault Sony didn't get as popular in the US.

Also, MS was out to take over the PS3. They even said thats what they were targeting at the begining of the gen. Sure 360 was a success and MS can be happy about it. However, they failed to obtain something they wanted. That has to be upsetting to some degree.

Actually I am not taking out Japan at all, I am commenting that this was and is a strong terrority for the PS brand and thus it contributed to the overall global sells.  I am not looking at things like some fanboy who for some reason feel like they have accomplished something when a coporation sells a lot of their product.  Personally I cannot even understand this mentality.

Instead I am looking at the situation like a business analyst.  You take the 2 products, the PS3 and the 360 and which company do you believe will mark that product as a success on the books.  You are giving me fanboy type of comments like MS was out to take over the PS3.  I am sure MS 5 year plan for the 360 was first and formost is to expand penetration, make a profit, grow the business, Solidify their Online userbase and services.  This sounds more like a 5 year plan than "we want to crush the PS3".  Sony is a competitor not some bully on the street and I highly doubt that MS thought they would unseat the king for the 360 generation.  If you can find a statement of someone from MS making such a foolish comment please do so because I do not rememeber such a comment.  The best you might find is that MS state they want to compete or sell more which is a more reaslistic comment.  I highly doubt MS thought they were going to actually be in the situation they are today coming from your first entry into the market selling 24 mil against the beast called PS2 120+

I understand that people on here seem to narrow the scope of to just the global market which is fine but I am looking at the big picture.  To gain the market, Sony had to basically put their company in jeopardy.  Sony had to eat manufacturing cost benefits in order to get the PS3 down to a selling price.  Sony had to take out feature within the console to get it cheap enough to make or at least break even.  The PS3 today is something I would not want compared to the release which was big but at least it felt premium.  

So while people are trying to make it appear that MS is butthurt that the PS3 might move pass the 360 in global sells, I am thinking MS MS has a different mindset: without penetration in Japan, we were able to go toe to toe with the PS Brand and come out pretty successful.  So if you want to take a flag and state Sony Sold the most (well not yet if you go by this site) then be my guess but I am sure the investors at Sony isn't going around jumping up and down when you consider the PS3 was suppose to GROW the PS brand not take it back 3 steps.

If I wanted to read an essay I'd ask my classmates for one.

-moderated Kasz216

Scoobes said:
Mr Puggsly said:

And they had to sacrifice billions of dollars for that to happen.

The PS3 couldn't have sold a decent amount or remained as relevant without massive price cuts. The 360 was offering similar graphics and most of the same games, that forced Sony to sacrfice more money to get attention.

Seriosuly, if Microsoft gave up last gen, Sony would still have taken heavy losses on PS3.

But the potential to walk out of the 7th gen with a profit would have been much greater.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
archbrix said:
archbrix said:

My, my... your lack of reading comprehension is alarming. I sincerely hope you're doing this on purpose just to boost your post count.

If you think I lack reading comprehension then I honestly dont think you know what you are saying. Or at least, what you say means

And therein lies your problem.  But hey, I suppose we're all wrong huh?  Oh, and paranoid...

Also: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=158991&page=1# Look at the picture People don't call soft drinks Coke except for the south like I said.

You actually created a thread on this topic based on our conversation? That's rich.

But you didn't just say people from the south, did you? You said, "hicks from Texas", whereas I said "many people"... and there are several states on that map that are red, no?

But you know what? I'll even concede to your single point on what people call soft drinks in the US. One point for Max!

archbrix said:
archbrix said:
archbrix said:

You actually created a thread on this topic based on our conversation? That's rich.

But you didn't just say people from the south, did you? You said, "hicks from Texas", whereas I said "many people"... and there are several states on that map that are red, no?

But you know what? I'll even concede to your single point on what people call soft drinks in the US. One point for Max!

I'll give you one guess is the population of Texas.

archbrix said:
archbrix said:
archbrix said:

Can we now expect a thread from you on southern population too?

archbrix said:
archbrix said:
archbrix said:
archbrix said:

Are you going to argue that most people who live in the south dont live in texas?

archbrix said:

Are you going to argue that most people who live in the south dont live in texas?

Oh no, I wouldn't think of it.  Besides, I've already given you a win on the topic of generic soft drink names.  After all, it's the least I can do.