By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much money Sony really lost with the PS3

CGI-Quality said:
Mr Puggsly said:
CGI-Quality said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't think it aches nearly as much knowing Sony had to sacrifice billions of dollars just so it could out perform the 360. Sony essentially bought second place but won't taste it until next gen platforms are out. Now that is pitiful given the success of PS2.

If MS really cared for the 360 to stay ahead of PS3 they would have cut the price years ago.

I don't mind either way, but it is what it is. Both sides will be bothered with the realities. Also, just cutting the price wouldn't have been enough, given the PS3 is already more expensive. If you're getting outsold by a higher priced, competing device, it's probably more desired than your product. That certainly says something about the PS3, regardless of its financial woes.

The $300 model Xbox is more expensive than a PS3 that includes games. The 4GB model Xbox is cheaper but includes nothing. Obivously more price cuts could have gave a boost to 360 sales and slow the gap from closing. Instead MS did nothing and sales are still strong.

A cheaper incentive is a cheaper incentive. You shouldn't have to cut the price of a lower priced machine unless it is getting beaten by the more expensive alternative. If that's the case, the higher option is also the more desired product. 

I don't know what you're babbling about.

So I'll just say again. A cheaper Xbox 360 and some nice bundle software with the entry model would have boosted sales.

MS didn't really if PS3 surpassed the 360 in overall sales so it didn't happen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
archbrix said:

While I'm pretty sure you're well aware of what I meant and are just finding anything to argue about, allow me to spell it out for you.

When referring to products in the generic sense in popular media here in NA, such as "Coke" when referring to a soft drink or "Kleenex" for facial tissues, "Xbox" has become the term for video games that "Playstation" once enjoyed. That, along with hardware/software sales, points to the brand recognition of Xbox showing significant growth in NA whereas Playstation has shown decline. When you consider the utter dominance the Playstation brand had in the 6th generation, wowzers indeed...

1.  The 360 is not nearly as dominate as the ps2 was in US. 

2.  On top of that people dont say coke when referring to soft dring they say soda or pop. Hicks from Texas call it a coke.

3.  And no... people dont say "360" when referring to gaming. They are literally talking about a 360

1.  I never said it was.  Perhaps you should re-read people's comments before responding...

2.  Wow, you'll reach for anything, won't you.  And you're wrong.  Many people say coke when referring to soda; if "hicks from Texas" do it too it just adds further weight to my point. 

3.  I didn't say "360", I said "Xbox".  Again, see point 1.

shakarak said:
How much is Sony losing on every Vita though? That's the question I want to know now.

Good question. But I don't think they're losing anything on the Vita.

archbrix said:
archbrix said:

While I'm pretty sure you're well aware of what I meant and are just finding anything to argue about, allow me to spell it out for you.

When referring to products in the generic sense in popular media here in NA, such as "Coke" when referring to a soft drink or "Kleenex" for facial tissues, "Xbox" has become the term for video games that "Playstation" once enjoyed. That, along with hardware/software sales, points to the brand recognition of Xbox showing significant growth in NA whereas Playstation has shown decline. When you consider the utter dominance the Playstation brand had in the 6th generation, wowzers indeed...

2.  On top of that people dont say coke when referring to soft dring they say soda or pop. Hicks from Texas call it a coke.

3.  And no... people dont say "360" when referring to gaming. They are literally talking about a 360

1.  I never said it was.  Perhaps you should re-read people's comments before responding...

2.  Wow, you'll reach for anything, won't you.  And you're wrong.  Many people say coke when referring to soda; if "hicks from Texas" do it too it just adds further weight to my point. 

1. naw. In order for it to "replace the ps2" for people calling gaming "xbox" then it would need to be as dominate. If you think people are referring to their Ps3's or Wiis as xbox then you my friend are on crack. The reason why so many people referred to Playstation as gaming is because the sheer dominance. For every 4 ps2's you would have a xbox or GC (yes combined)

2. No it doesn't add further weight to your point.

3. Who cares? interchangebale in my opinion.

Looking at it that way, I am amazed the PS3 has lasted this long. It was a disaster of a console, And yet still will finish second.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
slowmo said:
DanneSandin said:
2 things has to be admitted; PS3 did in fact an incredible come back after it's fiasco of a launch. It did quite poorly to begin with, but turning that ship around, and now being a VERY close third is very impressive. That's one thing

The other thing we have to admit is that PS3 cost Sony A LOT of money. It's profitable now, and it'll continue to make money for some years to come, but it'll never TRULY offset the money that it lost. It might have earned back every cent and dime it initially lost, but it will never be a big financial success. Never. It has lost too much money for that.

What we as gamers all can hope for, is that Sony learned a great deal of things by the PS3; let's hope PS4 kicks ass!

We keep getting told that it did so awful at the start yet launch aligned we are also told it outsold the 360 so it obviously was never that bad to begin with.  Its a lie spread by Sony fans to make the situation appear worse than it was.  

Here's the easiest way to look at it - the PS3 may have always been set-up to outsell the 360, but BECAUSE of the failings of its launch (really till about 2009), it held itself back from such a reality, sooner.

Make no mistake, it is this gen's biggest loser (regardless of passing the 360), but it isn't a lie that it had a bad launch. 

Thank you for at least posting a reasoned argument to try and debunk my point, shame Max didn't have your civility.  Lie was a strong word but I think its fair to say there are some fans who paint the launch as being far worse than it actually was.  The console was too expensive and lacked games, 2007 when the 40GB was released saw the start of it being fixed.  That's less than 12 months really.

archbrix said:
archbrix said:

1. naw. In order for it to "replace the ps2" for people calling gaming "xbox" then it would need to be as dominate. If you think people are referring to their Ps3's or Wiis as xbox then you my friend are on crack. The reason why so many people referred to Playstation as gaming is because the sheer dominance. For every 4 ps2's you would have a xbox or GC (yes combined)

1. Clearly it doesn't have to be as dominant, since yes, the term "Xbox" has largely replaced "Playstation" when referring to gaming in a general sense. It's not about referring to a Wii or a PS3 specifically as an Xbox, it's about the terminology when referring to gaming in general.

2. Yes, it does, because not only "hicks in Texas" say this, which is what your point here was based on.

3. Well, you should care, since the specifics you're quick to disregard now was what your point hinged on, lol. "Xbox" is the terminology I'm referring to not "360". Same way people generally referred to "Playstation" as gaming last gen, not "PS2".

Yeah, Sony lost billions on the PS3. And people wonder why they're not going for a $1000 console anymore.

slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:
slowmo said:
DanneSandin said:
2 things has to be admitted; PS3 did in fact an incredible come back after it's fiasco of a launch. It did quite poorly to begin with, but turning that ship around, and now being a VERY close third is very impressive. That's one thing

The other thing we have to admit is that PS3 cost Sony A LOT of money. It's profitable now, and it'll continue to make money for some years to come, but it'll never TRULY offset the money that it lost. It might have earned back every cent and dime it initially lost, but it will never be a big financial success. Never. It has lost too much money for that.

What we as gamers all can hope for, is that Sony learned a great deal of things by the PS3; let's hope PS4 kicks ass!

We keep getting told that it did so awful at the start yet launch aligned we are also told it outsold the 360 so it obviously was never that bad to begin with.  Its a lie spread by Sony fans to make the situation appear worse than it was.  

Here's the easiest way to look at it - the PS3 may have always been set-up to outsell the 360, but BECAUSE of the failings of its launch (really till about 2009), it held itself back from such a reality, sooner.

Make no mistake, it is this gen's biggest loser (regardless of passing the 360), but it isn't a lie that it had a bad launch. 

Thank you for at least posting a reasoned argument to try and debunk my point, shame Max didn't have your civility.  Lie was a strong word but I think its fair to say there are some fans who paint the launch as being far worse than it actually was.  The console was too expensive and lacked games, 2007 when the 40GB was released saw the start of it being fixed.  That's less than 12 months really.

The shame is you are paranoid and always blame Sony fans for something and used flawed logic to get your conclusions. Such as 2 consoles launch badly. One console beat the other console. Therefore it didnt launch badly.

archbrix said:
archbrix said:
archbrix said:

1. Clearly it doesn't have to be as dominant, since yes, the term "Xbox" has largely replaced "Playstation" when referring to gaming in a general sense. It's not about referring to a Wii or a PS3 specifically as an Xbox, it's about the terminology when referring to gaming in general.

2. Yes, it does, because not only "hicks in Texas" say this, which is what your point here was based on.

3. Well, you should care, since the specifics you're quick to disregard now was what your point hinged on, lol. "Xbox" is the terminology I'm referring to not "360". Same way people generally referred to "Playstation" as gaming last gen, not "PS2".

Your right. I refer to Ps3 to xbox all the time. LOL