By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox Live adds 6 Million members in a single Year, is the hate unjustified?

Does Xbox Live deserve the criticism it gets in the forums?

Yes Xbox Live is a rip off 221 45.19%

No Xbox Live is the best ... 208 42.54%

No opinion / don't care 60 12.27%

Total:489
PullusPardus said:
kain_kusanagi said:
PullusPardus said:
kain_kusanagi said:
I'd be happy to get XBL Gold for free and I'd be happy to gas my car for free. I could ride my bike for free if I really didn't want to pay for gas. Sometimes the price of entry is just that, the price you pay to get what you want. Maybe someday everything we all want will be free, but I'm not going to hold me breath. Halo keeps me coming back for more.

You sound like this guy, and thats sad.

Oh yeah, we're saying practically the same thing. He said deal with it and I said that Halo is worth the price of XBLG. Yeah, you nailed it. Same thing.

Sheesh ಠ_ಠ

You both are trying to justify something unjustifiable.

Unjustifiable? You act like your opinion is irrefutable fact.

You not wanting to pay for XBLG is a fact. You not thinking it's worth it to you is a fact. But it's all just a fact of your opinion. The fact is that millions pay because it is worth it to them and they aren't suckers for enjoying their favorite games. Your opinion is no more right than mine. I enjoy Halo and I'm willing to pay the entry fee for it and other Xbox games. I'd love if it were free, but it's not so I'll pay the tiny fee to get what I want. That's not justification, that's the reality of the situation. Free or paid I'm going to continue to enjoy Halo games. Now that's a fact.

Around the Network

I only really play games during the holidays (Christmas break and summer break) so I only pay for live during those times. For the past few years there has always been a sale for 3 months for a few bucks whenever I connect my 360 around the time when school finishes. I end up paying less than $20 for the entire time that I do play games. Basically nothing to get excited about. I think its worth it, especially since a lot of my friends are on it and I can play split screen Halo online with my brother. That is a lot of fun by the way, all the goofing around and failed strategies are definitely some of my best experiences playing games. So I guess friends and Halo make it worth the money.

I'm sure the 6 million new members is absolutely nothing to do with the annual banwaves or the spate of new nokia lumina phones that integrate xbl features, or people just making new accounts and other such things, it's for sure just 6 million people that went out and paid full retail for a years subscription...

Really though, registration numbers mean nothing, i freaking dare you to find a person that has just one account on the ps3 or 360.

As for the argument of "is it worth it", that's entirely up to the individual, sure it would be nicer if it was free, but it is not, you either pay or you dont, if your opinion is it's crap then that's your *opinion*, there are millions of paying live members who would dissagree, just like theres millions of potential online players who wish it wouldn't cost them extra to play online.

My only issue with it is that premium services should be a 'value added service', rather than an 'added service', so here's hoping the next xbox will allow a modcrum of online functionality for games, and just reserve access to premium servers and such for gold members.

nightsurge said:
Scoobes said:
Carl2291 said:
Hynad said:

^^^^ The apologetics I mentioned. Here they come.

To answer your question, yes, I have a mobile phone. I pay to have access to the phone network. As phones always worked. There's nowhere I can go to phone without charge. Gaming? I pay my internet to get bandwidth. This allows me to play games online, among plenty other things. No services charge me for playing multi-player online, unless it's an MMO or XBox Live.

I guess the part that said "everywhere else" didn't register...

Oh, so you bought your phone. Yet you have to pay more to use services your phone offers. Right.

Youre paying to talk to someone, rather than going to see them. Youre paying a premium to write messages to someone, instead of telling them in person or taking the time to actually send them a letter/postcard/whatever. I mean, talking to people has always been free. Why should I have to pay a premium to talk to someone? Why should I pay per minute to talk to my friend who lives 5 minutes away?

You choose to buy a phone and you choose to pay for the extra services. Why? Because its convenient. Your friends have phones and it generally makes things quicker and easier. I think this is very similar to Live. You buy into the console knowing that if you want to use other features you have to pay extra. There are cheaper alternatives that are arguably better or worse. You go where you feel comfortable. You go where your friends are. You go where you think the services will be better.

When Millions upon Millions of people are happy paying for the service, why should they change it? You pay premium prices for premium services. Thats pretty much it. Thats life. If you dont like it or cant afford it then that cheaper option is open to you. Microsoft dont force you to buy an Xbox. You do that out of your own free will. If paying to use the online really, really bothered the consumer that much... Then the consumer would go to the competition instead.

Your comparison doesn't really work. A mobile networks primary purpose is to connect people. Whilst the customer may tailor a certain package to their needs, every network has to charge in order to make money.

The only way your comparison would work is if all the other networks were free to talk, text and offered a range of third-party apps, yet a single network charged money on a contract to access slightly more apps but essentially a very similar services overall.

You actually just validated his comparison. "Every network has to charge in order to make money." Guess what. Xbox Live, PSN, Steam, etc are networks, networks and services. Steam doesn't charge because they make all their money selling games. PSN charges with PS+ because they realized they lost way too much money with a completely free service. Xbox Live charges because they know you need the income and can use that to make the best services/network available.

His comparison works because there are extremely cheap or even free alternatives to using a phone/cell phone network. :)

No, the difference is that the core of PSN, Steam, Battle.net etc. are all still free to the user; MS' rivals find alternative revenue streams instead of forcing users to pay for the most basic feature. There are plenty of viable business models that don't block out the basic feature of playing games online behind a subscription fee. In fact, in the wider gaming industry we're actually seeing a push towards F2P products which all use alternative business models to generate revenue.

The mobile phone comparison doesn't work because at present, the only viable business models are the phone contract or pay as you go. What alternatives are there that are cheaper and/or free?

nightsurge said:

You actually just validated his comparison. "Every network has to charge in order to make money." Guess what. Xbox Live, PSN, Steam, etc are networks, networks and services. Steam doesn't charge because they make all their money selling games. PSN charges with PS+ because they realized they lost way too much money with a completely free service. Xbox Live charges because they know you need the income and can use that to make the best services/network available.

His comparison works because there are extremely cheap or even free alternatives to using a phone/cell phone network. :)

His comparison didn't work, as I pointed out, the phone is used to get onto the mobile network, a 360 is not primarily used to play on Live, the ISP is for that and you've already paid for it.

Also, an extremely cheap and even free alternative to playing games online would be to play football outside in a park with your friends based on this comparison.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:

There are people who think everything should be free and feel that they are entitled to play games like it's some kind of right. Look what happens when a light hearted thread tryings to discuss why people choose to play games on XBL: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=155821 Attacks on personal character and missquotes taken out of context.

To me the thread got out of hand as for those who use Live and pay for it, it seems they think everyone else is attacking them for doing so, while everyone else is attacking the idea of what Live is.

If you buy a game, which includes every part of it included on the disc, you should have the right to play evey part of the game and not locked out until you pay more.

Hmm, pie.

Mr Puggsly said:
Zkuq said:

And do you think Steam's Big Picture mode wouldn't work better if Steam was primarily meant for TVs? Besides, for what Steam is primarily meant for, it's very stable. If it was built for TVs from the beginning, you wouldn't experience those crashes. You saying Steam is bad because its TV mode crashes is like me saying XBL is bad because I can't use it on PC. Steam at least on the same level as a service on its primary platform compared to XBL yet it's free. Do you have anything to say about instead of circling around my point.

PC gaming in general can often be unstable compared to consoles. Not just big picture. Anyhow, I'm just pointing out consoles are more simple for the masses.

I don't think Steam is on the same level. Valve doesn't operate the servers for online gaming on 3rd party games. It doesn't offer Netflix either!

Yeah, can't argue about PCs being less stable than consoles. But let's not go there any further 'cause it's not important in this discussion. (In some other discussion it would be, though.)

I'm fairly sure servers for third-party games get shut down more often on XBL than on Steam. Does EA shut down servers for its games on XBL as well as PSN? And then there's the thing that console games commonly use p2p-based solutions instead of dedicated servers which leaves only matchmaking servers for MS to handle. And on PC, you generally don't see such shutting down servers happening because often it's the community that owns the servers and it has worked just fine for ages.  And about Netflix... Well, it's not included in the XLB subscription, is it? Well I mean it technically is but you still have to pay for it in addition to XBL which makes no sense at all.

Zkuq said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Zkuq said:

And do you think Steam's Big Picture mode wouldn't work better if Steam was primarily meant for TVs? Besides, for what Steam is primarily meant for, it's very stable. If it was built for TVs from the beginning, you wouldn't experience those crashes. You saying Steam is bad because its TV mode crashes is like me saying XBL is bad because I can't use it on PC. Steam at least on the same level as a service on its primary platform compared to XBL yet it's free. Do you have anything to say about instead of circling around my point.

PC gaming in general can often be unstable compared to consoles. Not just big picture. Anyhow, I'm just pointing out consoles are more simple for the masses.

I don't think Steam is on the same level. Valve doesn't operate the servers for online gaming on 3rd party games. It doesn't offer Netflix either!

Yeah, can't argue about PCs being less stable than consoles. But let's not go there any further 'cause it's not important in this discussion. (In some other discussion it would be, though.)

I'm fairly sure servers for third-party games get shut down more often on XBL than on Steam. Does EA shut down servers for its games on XBL as well as PSN? And then there's the thing that console games commonly use p2p-based solutions instead of dedicated servers which leaves only matchmaking servers for MS to handle. And on PC, you generally don't see such shutting down servers happening because often it's the community that owns the servers and it has worked just fine for ages.  And about Netflix... Well, it's not included in the XLB subscription, is it? Well I mean it technically is but you still have to pay for it in addition to XBL which makes no sense at all.

I'm sure you aren't sure.

Come back to me when Steam offers as much services as Xbox Live. Until then, they aren't equal.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Zkuq said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Zkuq said:

I'm sure you aren't sure.

Come back to me when Steam offers as much services as Xbox Live. Until then, they aren't equal.

Ha ha. Do list those services you speak of.

Because most of the services on Live aren't offered by it. Live merely serves as an added gate before you have access to those third party services. For which you also have to subscribe to, on top of Gold. Which isn't the case on PSN, PC or Wii U.

Hynad said:

Ha ha. Do list those services you speak of.

Because most of the services on Live aren't offered by it. Live merely serve as an added gate before you have access to those third party services. For which you also have to subscribe to, on top of Gold.

And Steam offers no option!

I gotta move Steam aside to get to Netflix. That's why I gave up on PC gaming.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)