By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [UPDATED] GameSpot: Nintendo's Failure to Innovate and the Trouble With Nostalgia

Do you agree?

Yes 160 41.99%

No 221 58.01%

Total:381
bananaking21 said:
well they do say some good points, but after all its all their opinions. they are talking about how nintendo is pushing them away, and they have legitimate points but they arent the same as mine so i cant really say i agree with them. but a lot of what they said does make sense and their point of views are understandable

A good editorial never has to stand behind the "its all their opinions" defense.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I can only speak for myself, but the lack of new ips (like Xenoblade) and outdated hardware (wii, which I own; wiiu is fine) killed my interest in Ninty home consoles. Sure, hardcore fans still love Zelda and Mario, but I'm sick and tired of the Mario games being milked like that (mario golf, mario at the Olympics etc). Super Mario Bros 3 is one of the best games I'ever played, but Ninty really needs to evolve for me. Sure, they have some of the best selling ips, but I really wanna see them pull a Sony like they did with the ps3 and get some awesome new ip exclusives. Hopefully, the lack of success of WiiU will force them to do better (I see it as a blessing in disguise). Bayonetta seems to be a step towards the right direction.

Also, not sure if there is more hate from Gamespot to Nintendo or Nintendo fans to Gamespot.

i think people are too fanboyish towards Nintendo. well they made the Consoles thrive in the 80's. ya but their doing literally nothing anymore. people need to accept the fact Nintendo is gonna die out if they don't improve SOMETHING

SuperMarioWorld said:
Gamespot?! ha!

Skyward Sword - 7.5 (cause Tom played the game using a banana instead of a Wii remote)

Luigi's Mansion 2 - 6.5 (cause Carolyn found it too hard)

yeah quality review site.

wait what??? a 6.5  for LM2? How is that even possible?

And then they go and worship Bioshock Infinite, that game is a carbon copy of Bioshock 1 except it looks different and not really fun.

Around the Network

Judging from the latest batch of announced games for the 3DS, I'd say yes. All Nintendo seems to know how to do these days is rehash their franchises, including even specific games of their franchises. LoZ 3DS is basically ALTTP version 1.5. Same thing with the new Yoshi's Island game... SNES gameplay mixed with 2.5D look of Yoshi's Story.

Back in the day, each new installment of Nintendo's biggest franchises always brought something new and exciting to the table. Nowadays it's the same ol' shit, and they aren't even trying.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

curtiswolf said:
i think people are too fanboyish towards Nintendo. well they made the Consoles thrive in the 80's. ya but their doing literally nothing anymore. people need to accept the fact Nintendo is gonna die out if they don't improve SOMETHING

You are literally fucking the art of linguistic expression up the arse.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

curtiswolf said:

Ninty won't die any time soon. Their handhelds will keep doing well and worst case scenario, they can become third party and sell well on ps3/360. If they start releasing pokemon and Mario games on android and ios, sales will explode.

NightDragon83 said:
Judging from the latest batch of announced games for the 3DS, I'd say yes. All Nintendo seems to know how to do these days is rehash their franchises, including even specific games of their franchises. LoZ 3DS is basically ALTTP version 1.5. Same thing with the new Yoshi's Island game... SNES gameplay mixed with 2.5D look of Yoshi's Story.

Back in the day, each new installment of Nintendo's biggest franchises always brought something new and exciting to the table. Nowadays it's the same ol' shit, and they aren't even trying.

Given the fact that Nintendo is making SNES-era gameplay marketable as something other than a $5 downloadable game, i would say that is pretty original. They're giving worth to game-types thought of as worthless.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo are aware of what they could be doing in order to stay relevant, but they can't just pull 100 original new triple a ip's out of their asses just like that.