By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [UPDATED] GameSpot: Nintendo's Failure to Innovate and the Trouble With Nostalgia

Do you agree?

Yes 160 41.99%

No 221 58.01%

Total:381

Why is always Nintendo that have to come up with new "innovations" every damn Gen?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network
oniyide said:

Whichs is why i said SOME people, just like SOME people didnt think it was worth it, and did not buy those. I wasnt disagreeing with him.

Ah, I suppose I misread then. Sorry. I just interpreted "don't use your opinions as facts" to be a big sign of disagreement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjYQEtXi4Nw

This guy makes some good points.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Suke said:
http://www.youtubpoints superh?v=ZjYQEtXi4Nw

Yeah he brings up some good points

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

update, go check the first post

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

Around the Network
Suke said:

To which points are you referring? The part where he claims that Nintendo relies solely on its old franchises while a trailer for The Wonderful 101 is showing? The part where he laments the fact that Bayonetta 2 is Nintendo-exclusive because apparently Platinum Games will be kicking themselves, and must have given in to Nintendo buying exclusivity... when Platinum Games specifically said that they tried to get other publishers to publish it, and Nintendo was the only one that was willing to do it?

The part where he shows video of X while talking about how Nintendo doesn't innovate (we'll ignore games like Wii Sports, too)? Or maybe it's the part where he complains about how Nintendo relies only on its core franchises resulting in nothing else selling well especially from third parties (hello there, Just Dance; oh, hi Nintendogs; hey look, it's Brain Training; my goodness, it's LEGO Star Wars; Epic Mickey seems to be grinning, over there)? I'm surprised he didn't try to pull out the old chestnut of "the Wii U was made weaker, and that's why EA isn't making games for it".

Nintendo does more to innovate in this industry than any other large dev company (that is, not counting the indies, etc). Almost every major franchise out there can be traced back to something Nintendo did - what is Darksiders, but a variation on Zelda? What is Call of Duty, but a refined Goldeneye?

And sometimes, Nintendo tries to innovate, and it doesn't work, too. Disaster: Day of Crisis. Wii Music. There's plenty of examples out there... but of course, those don't count because they're not annualised franchises, and thus don't get as much notice from the high-and-mighty hardcore gamer, who apparently can't even be bothered to check facts like why Nintendo is publishing Bayonetta 2.

Here's a partial list of new franchises that Nintendo has published for the Wii (not including titles with partial connection, like Excite Truck): Wii series, Disaster Day of Crisis, Endless Ocean, Captain Rainbow, Flingsmash, Zangeki no Reginleiv, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Eco Shooter, Bonsai Barber, Rock & Roll Climber, Line Attack Heroes, Snowpack Park. Are they all major titles? No. Did they all release in America? No. Are they all going to get lots of sequels? No. But every one of them is a new franchise, starting on the Wii. Notice that I'm not even counting those that began on the DS. And for Wii U, there's already Sing Party, The Wonderful 101, and possibly X, not to mention the rumoured new IP from Retro Studios.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a publisher that produces so many new franchises. What's different is that a lot of them aren't specifically targetted at the hardcore gamer - and THAT is what the hardcore gamer hates so much about Nintendo. That Nintendo isn't all about appeasing the hardcore gamer. Never mind that Nintendo are pretty much the only company in the industry that made a large profit over the last generation. Never mind that a long list of hardcore-focused studios collapsed during this generation, and even multiple major publishers folded... and in almost every instance, those studios and publishers tried to avoid Nintendo systems more often than not.

Quite simply, the industry, and especially the media, have an absurd bias against Nintendo. Note that I'm not saying that they should be praising Nintendo - just that the attacks are absurd and unjustified, and would be called out by hardcore gamers if they were said of any other publisher. Even EA gets better treatment by hardcore gamers.

EDIT: Here's a demonstration of the absurdity of it - you've noticed, I assume, that on this message board, you see similar frequency of "PSV Doom!" and "Wii U Doom!" threads and posts, right? Now go and look for articles predicting PS Vita's doom amongst the gaming media. The system is being outsold by the Wii U most weeks, with the only reason for it being close being that the Japanese prefer handhelds over consoles at the moment, and yet you never see a single article going "XXX not coming to Vita". I'm almost surprised that I haven't seen an article going "Halo 5 not coming to Wii U". The true absurdity, though, is that most hardcore gamers are willing to admit, under pressure, that Nintendo always does well enough... and yet they continue to predict Nintendo's doom. And they denounce Nintendo when they announce new titles because "it's not Mario", and then denounce Nintendo when Nintendo shows Mario.

Does anyone at alpay any attention to anything Gamespot says. Their journalists' opinions are about as useful as a chocolate teapot tbh.

Plus, as I'm sure plenty of others have pointed out they do come up with new IPs. I think they've got the balance about right.

The only thing you could rightfully criticise them about is the way that the 2D Mario platformers are way too similar.

What I can see happening is the old guys, people like Miyamoto and Arumora leaving or retiring as new faces join Nintendo which could lead to Nintendo getting a new image because who understand the new generation of gamers better, young gamers themselves. Age 10 & 35, I sound like a snob when I say this, but I feel Iwata and the other workers who been their since the 90s just doesn't understand the new audiences of gamers. For example, Skyward Sword was mostly developed by young gamers from the 90s who grew up playing Zelda, young developers who are in their 20's did most of the developing for Skyward Sword. I think Nintendo need to hire new young faces who love and are inspired by games. New face plus new ideas equal new experience and franchises.

— 

Half and half for me. I do love Nintendo's games and I'd like for them to continue doing what they do best. However, I do agree with the author in the sense that I find they are not producing enough new IPs.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Aielyn said:
Suke said:

To which points are you referring? The part where he claims that Nintendo relies solely on its old franchises while a trailer for The Wonderful 101 is showing? The part where he laments the fact that Bayonetta 2 is Nintendo-exclusive because apparently Platinum Games will be kicking themselves, and must have given in to Nintendo buying exclusivity... when Platinum Games specifically said that they tried to get other publishers to publish it, and Nintendo was the only one that was willing to do it?

The part where he shows video of X while talking about how Nintendo doesn't innovate (we'll ignore games like Wii Sports, too)? Or maybe it's the part where he complains about how Nintendo relies only on its core franchises resulting in nothing else selling well especially from third parties (hello there, Just Dance; oh, hi Nintendogs; hey look, it's Brain Training; my goodness, it's LEGO Star Wars; Epic Mickey seems to be grinning, over there)? I'm surprised he didn't try to pull out the old chestnut of "the Wii U was made weaker, and that's why EA isn't making games for it".

Nintendo does more to innovate in this industry than any other large dev company (that is, not counting the indies, etc). Almost every major franchise out there can be traced back to something Nintendo did - what is Darksiders, but a variation on Zelda? What is Call of Duty, but a refined Goldeneye?

And sometimes, Nintendo tries to innovate, and it doesn't work, too. Disaster: Day of Crisis. Wii Music. There's plenty of examples out there... but of course, those don't count because they're not annualised franchises, and thus don't get as much notice from the high-and-mighty hardcore gamer, who apparently can't even be bothered to check facts like why Nintendo is publishing Bayonetta 2.

Here's a partial list of new franchises that Nintendo has published for the Wii (not including titles with partial connection, like Excite Truck): Wii series, Disaster Day of Crisis, Endless Ocean, Captain Rainbow, Flingsmash, Zangeki no Reginleiv, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Eco Shooter, Bonsai Barber, Rock & Roll Climber, Line Attack Heroes, Snowpack Park. Are they all major titles? No. Did they all release in America? No. Are they all going to get lots of sequels? No. But every one of them is a new franchise, starting on the Wii. Notice that I'm not even counting those that began on the DS. And for Wii U, there's already Sing Party, The Wonderful 101, and possibly X, not to mention the rumoured new IP from Retro Studios.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a publisher that produces so many new franchises. What's different is that a lot of them aren't specifically targetted at the hardcore gamer - and THAT is what the hardcore gamer hates so much about Nintendo. That Nintendo isn't all about appeasing the hardcore gamer. Never mind that Nintendo are pretty much the only company in the industry that made a large profit over the last generation. Never mind that a long list of hardcore-focused studios collapsed during this generation, and even multiple major publishers folded... and in almost every instance, those studios and publishers tried to avoid Nintendo systems more often than not.

Quite simply, the industry, and especially the media, have an absurd bias against Nintendo. Note that I'm not saying that they should be praising Nintendo - just that the attacks are absurd and unjustified, and would be called out by hardcore gamers if they were said of any other publisher. Even EA gets better treatment by hardcore gamers.

EDIT: Here's a demonstration of the absurdity of it - you've noticed, I assume, that on this message board, you see similar frequency of "PSV Doom!" and "Wii U Doom!" threads and posts, right? Now go and look for articles predicting PS Vita's doom amongst the gaming media. The system is being outsold by the Wii U most weeks, with the only reason for it being close being that the Japanese prefer handhelds over consoles at the moment, and yet you never see a single article going "XXX not coming to Vita". I'm almost surprised that I haven't seen an article going "Halo 5 not coming to Wii U". The true absurdity, though, is that most hardcore gamers are willing to admit, under pressure, that Nintendo always does well enough... and yet they continue to predict Nintendo's doom. And they denounce Nintendo when they announce new titles because "it's not Mario", and then denounce Nintendo when Nintendo shows Mario.

It's funny how your post got ignored, but you spoke the absolute truth. Everytime someone says Nintendo doesn't produce new IPs they should see your post, it's getting really tiresome to see someone pointing all the new IPs Nintendo made last gen and then seeing the next post talking about how Nintendo doesn't make new IPs.