By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [UPDATED] GameSpot: Nintendo's Failure to Innovate and the Trouble With Nostalgia

Do you agree?

Yes 160 41.99%

No 221 58.01%

Total:381

i'm confused because im right in the middle. I cant say Nintendo don't innovate..however recently imo those innovations tend to be gimmics. I also love my Zelda and Mario but im also so sick of it. Nintendo really need to do something different and thus i agree with that they need to take risks and create new ip's. Nintendo fan's should realize this! As a past Nintendo fan (i say this because i've purchased all Nintendo systems from NES - Gamecube. I borrowed a Wii from my friend for Zelda, and Mario because i dont think the wii is worth the money. Even so Skyward sword was dissapointing) i want something new! no gimmicks.

The Wii U doesn't interest me because it seems like Nintendo is repeating what they always do. A gimmic with a new Zelda and SMB game on the way. However because of this nostalgia i will purchase Zelda Wii U at some point but not at a $300 price tag...unless i can borrow someones Wii U lol

It's sad because Nintendo is part of my childhood but recently they dont seem to interest me specially considering the competition and the cool things they are doing. As a Nintendo fan i do hope they get there act together!

Around the Network
oniyide said:

Dont use your opinions as facts, they are not. SOME people are willing to spend the money, some arent. Ninty 2d platformers are only worth more to the people who THINK they are worth more. That goes for any product. I geniuely dont buy them because i dont think they are worth the full price. I can name a few games that are DL that are worth mor

Implicitly pointing to market data is not the same as using his "opinions as facts." I do not read anywhere in his statement any expression of universal acquiescence of a rule, only a (common sense) interpretation of data. At best he used a shorthand to say that extremely large numbers of people have shown, via spending habits, that they believe it is worthwhile to spend that money, even years after the products' releases. He did this rather than going through the elaborate exercise of spelling out all the obvious disclaimers, because frankly none of us have the time or patience to be hyper-specific when the readers should have the wherewithal to read between the obvious lines.

Where exactly do you read otherwise?

DanneSandin said:
Lawlight said:
DanneSandin said:

It doesn't really matter if Nintendo software are low if they sell like Mario Kart Wii...

They're not selling like Mario Kart Wii anymore...

But they're still selling pretty well; Mario Kart 7 has sold over 8m by now, and that number will only increase, and it has nearly an attach ratio of 30% - just like SM3DL

I can seem to find a source for the 8M. It sold 748,797 copies in Japan in 2012 and wasn't in the Top 10 selling games of 2012 according to NPD so where did those millions of sales come from?

Well, they surely haven't brought anything new in a while, as far as franchises go. Not on consoles, anyway. Truth be told, though, I can't say that I mind all that much. Sure, I'd love to have the best big "Zelda", or "Mario," but I'm pretty satisfied as it is, and they've been doing a great job with keeping it both fresh AND nostalgic on the 3DS. So much so that I can hardly wait to get the system for myself.

I disagree with everything about what gamespot said.

Around the Network

Well, Nintendo has been doing extremely well just living off its 30+ year old franchises. Bungee is a lot younger than Nintendo, of course they need new IPs but I'm not complaining about the ones they have. This is the first HD generation for Nintendo and I'm excited for Zelda and 3D Mario in HD. I'm extremely excited. I think new IPs will come with time. When Miyamoto and the original crew are gone, new ideas will come in time but don't expect Nintendo to just shove Mario to the curb. Miyamoto said he's working on a new IP, so let's wait. CoD series is newer than Mario yet it still feels so much older and less innovative. Just wait.

noname2200 said:
oniyide said:

Dont use your opinions as facts, they are not. SOME people are willing to spend the money, some arent. Ninty 2d platformers are only worth more to the people who THINK they are worth more. That goes for any product. I geniuely dont buy them because i dont think they are worth the full price. I can name a few games that are DL that are worth mor

Implicitly pointing to market data is not the same as using his "opinions as facts." I do not read anywhere in his statement any expression of universal acquiescence of a rule, only a (common sense) interpretation of data. At best he used a shorthand to say that extremely large numbers of people have shown, via spending habits, that they believe it is worthwhile to spend that money, even years after the products' releases. He did this rather than going through the elaborate exercise of spelling out all the obvious disclaimers, because frankly none of us have the time or patience to be hyper-specific when the readers should have the wherewithal to read between the obvious lines.

Where exactly do you read otherwise?

Whichs is why i said SOME people, just like SOME people didnt think it was worth it, and did not buy those. I wasnt disagreeing with him.

The two individuals in the video came across as pseudo intellectuals who wre trying to find a reason not to like games that they enjoyed.

My favorite part was that they decided to judge an entire game (the new Zelda) by the small session which they were allowed to play and concluded it was the essentially the same game as on the SNES.

Given the basic similarities of FPS games and given the annual "updates" of sports games, charging Nintendo alone with milking franchises and not innovating new IPs is trolliish,

I agree that Nintendo could use some new IPs. But I also know it often puts new ideas with old characters because that will lead to people buying them -- a real consideration when many gamers pass on new IPs.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Lawlight said:
DanneSandin said:
Lawlight said:
DanneSandin said:

It doesn't really matter if Nintendo software are low if they sell like Mario Kart Wii...

They're not selling like Mario Kart Wii anymore...

But they're still selling pretty well; Mario Kart 7 has sold over 8m by now, and that number will only increase, and it has nearly an attach ratio of 30% - just like SM3DL

I can seem to find a source for the 8M. It sold 748,797 copies in Japan in 2012 and wasn't in the Top 10 selling games of 2012 according to NPD so where did those millions of sales come from?

Well this is all according to VGC stats, so the numbers could be wrong. But if we assume the numbers for mario kart 7 and sm3dl are wrong I guess we have to assume ALL numbers here is wrong....

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Those franchises still sell well, that's the thing. Don't fix what isn't broken. It's a sad reality from my own perspective, I love different IPs, characters, worlds, stories, etc. Sadly, it is becoming harder and harder for some IPs to make it big but they are possible. I always hope Nintendo would step it up in new franchise making but they haven't taken many risks this gen. The Wii U might change it up, we'll see.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian