By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [UPDATED] GameSpot: Nintendo's Failure to Innovate and the Trouble With Nostalgia

Do you agree?

Yes 160 41.99%

No 221 58.01%

Total:381
VGKing said:
mushroomboy5 said:
I'm pretty sure Nintendo are aware of what they could be doing in order to stay relevant, but they can't just pull 100 original new triple a ip's out of their asses just like that.

Here's a thought, start off with just 1. Miyamoto doesn't have to be the one to create it, there are other talented developers out there. Here's a crazy idea, why doesn't Nintendo create a Western studio? Create an action adventure or shooter. 

Here's a thought: maybe they already have done that recently, and you just weren't paying attention and/or don't care to admit it? Besides, what happened to the good ol' days of

VGKing said:
Was going to write a comment about how I agree with this but it's pointless.

? Let's go back to those days!

VGKing said:

Didn't realize Retro was a western studio. In fact, I'm not really that familiar with Nintendo studios in general.

NightDragon83 said:

That's sort of a contradiction considering the fact that they kicked off the generation offering NES/SNES era games for $5-$10 on the VC, and are now charging full retail prices for essentially the exact same types of games, just with a visual facelift.

We've gotten 8/16-bit era downloadable games that are both updates/remakes and completely new like Mega Man 9 & 10 & Sonic 4 that are in the $5-$15 range, yet on Nintendo consoles games like DKC Returns and NSMB Wii and U go for $50-$60 because Nintendo knows how to take advantage of both the "casual" gamer who just buys what everyone else does and the long suffering Ninty fans that need to get their nostalgia fix every so often.

You're smarter than this. Surely you can grasp the difference between releasing an actual 8-bit game from creating a brand new game (complete with modern bells and whistles) that simply harkens to the gameplay of earlier eras. Surely. Your example of Sonic 4 is equally inapplicable, unless you're urging Nintendo to release LttP2 in one-dungeon sized segments.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Mariokart is heavily bundled.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

It came as a bundled package with the wheel.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
VGKing said:
Mr Khan said:
VGKing said:
mushroomboy5 said:
I'm pretty sure Nintendo are aware of what they could be doing in order to stay relevant, but they can't just pull 100 original new triple a ip's out of their asses just like that.

Here's a thought, start off with just 1. Miyamoto doesn't have to be the one to create it, there are other talented developers out there. Here's a crazy idea, why doesn't Nintendo create a Western studio? Create an action adventure or shooter. 

Nintendo did actually wound down one of their western studios (Nintendo Software Technology, which hasn't done a major project since Metroid Prime Hunters in 2006), while Retro remains an unknown.

Didn't realize Retro was a western studio. In fact, I'm not really that familiar with Nintendo studios in general. I have no idea who makes what.

I don't know anything about Sony in details, but, I tend to agree with anything negative about them.

It's just opinions, man. Don't hang me for it.

Good for you. You'll probably get banned for it one day.

I myself form my own opinions based on my own research and personal taste. That's just me though. 

noname2200 said:
VGKing said:
mushroomboy5 said:

Here's a thought: maybe they already have done that recently, and you just weren't paying attention and/or don't care to admit it? Besides, what happened to the good ol' days of

VGKing said:
Was going to write a comment about how I agree with this but it's pointless.

? Let's go back to those days!

VGKing said:

Didn't realize Retro was a western studio. In fact, I'm not really that familiar with Nintendo studios in general.

Huh? I haven't given my opinion on this yet and I won't for fear of retaliation from people like you. I cant imagine how many replies I would have gotten if I actually went in-depth with my opinion on this article. I won't stick around to find out.

VGKing said:

I won't stick around to find out.

Any way we can hold you to that? Please say yes.

noname2200 said:
VGKing said:

I won't stick around to find out.

Any way we can hold you to that? Please say yes.

As long as you stop replying to me, yes I'll stay out of this thread. My opinions can offset the balance of this thread. You sound like you're ready to refute everything I say.(even though it would be my opinion which in a way makes it a fact)

Good day. 

Around the Network

I agree to a point but you can say that about EVERY successful game company outside of newer ones that struck rich with recent franchises. What innovation has EA or Activision or UBI Soft really brought to the table in recent years?

Their major flaw software wise has been falling too heavily on tried true favorites like Mario or Kirby too much and expecting great returns consistently (especially last year with the New Super Mario Bros series). Honest, I just question whether Nintendo's upper management is good at guessing trends properly because the past few years seems to indicate that not to be the case.

DanneSandin said:
Lawlight said:
DanneSandin said:
Lawlight said:
DanneSandin said:
Lawlight said:
Jumpin said:
Lawlight said:
As I said before, their IPs are selling less these days.

Actually, for the most party their franchises have been selling more. Over the last 6 years Nintendo has seen more success than at any point in the past in terms of how high their franchises have been selling.

IPs whose sales are lower now than the previous gen:

Brain Age

Nintendogs

NSMB

Mario Kart

Luigi's Mansion

Paper Mario

Mario Tennis

You serious abou Luigi and Mario Kart???? You're totally wrong about Luigi, and Mario Kart is only selling less if you compare it to the Wii-iteration. Mario Kart 7 has sold more than 8m copies so far, on a 30m instal base. That's HUGE. You don't know what you're talking about.

Attach ratio for 1 franchise doesn't mean much when other games' sales are poor. Overall software sales on Nintendo systems have always been low. Now, this gen, it's going to be even lower given than their key franchises aren't as popular as the previous gen. 

I actually think that GC had the second highest attach ratio on any console ever, so I wouldnt say that the software sales alwahs been low...

A system can have an attach ratio of 20 but software sales are still low if it only sold 20M units of software.

It doesn't really matter if Nintendo software are low if they sell like Mario Kart Wii...

They're not selling like Mario Kart Wii anymore...

dahuman said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nem said:

Piss off Gamespot. Nintendo is the only company with balls to give fans what they want.

What other company would have the balls to grab one of their iconic franchises and bring it back to the 16 bit era gameplay. We dont get big budget classic games like that anymore. The only company that tried that in recent memory was Ubisoft with Rayman Origins.
Software developers should be more like Nintendo. This senseless hating needs to stop. Not all of us want every franchise ever revived has an FPS for next-gen consoles. Enough already.

Rephrase that...Nintendo doesn't give the fans what they want, you just so happen to like what they deliver, plain and simple. I grew out of Nintendo, so speak for yourself. Nintendo has an old fashioned stance that you market new games around the same old characters in a spin dry fashion. No new characters, just nostalgia for days. They are there for you in childhood, but they dont follow you into adulthood with their offerings. Most Nintendo fans like the product so they stick with it because they know its never going to change and thats comforting. To gamers like me, change is a good thing and sometimes franchises must go for new ones to be invented and set a newer standard. Nintendo is after the newer generation of gamers. If I was the age I was when I got my first Nintendo console I would be going gaga over it as well. 

Enjoy Nintenod products, but to say they give the fans what they want is definitely a strong opinion I am willing to dispute. Nintendo is an old fashioned company that does what Nintendo wants.

P.S.

Nintendo die hards can refute what is true, remember this. At one point in time a great portion of people here were Nintendo fans and grew up with Nintendo. Theres a reason we grew out of it. I completely agree with Gamespot. Theres is something wrong with Nintendos broad outlook when it comes to dedicated gamers outside of their first party and for the growing serious gamers in their first party. 

Why "grow out"(such a shitty term to use in this case TBH, growing older or out of something never makes a man wiser, just more stubborn) of something when you can have it all? :P I literally didn't go back to "owning" a Nintendo console until the Wii after the NES LOL, so I guess I grew inwards? Like WTF does that even mean? ^_^; At the same time I game on other platforms as well, gotta keep your options open to enjoy the good games, or have friends that have them I suppose hehe.

I understand what you're saying, but growing up is just another way of saying it. We go from rated G movies to PG-13 to R movies. We go from Disney to MGM to Universal. When adults grow up they mostly tend to be interested in different things from when they were younger. I never grew out of videogames, I focused on the interests that I grew into liking more mature videogames with detailed stories and focus on intuitive gameplay narrative which gives me a reason to fight. I'll play games with less narrative like Demom/Dark Souls or but the narrative based game will get me first. It's like reading a good book or watching a really long sci-fi trilogy (which would amount to the same amount of hours as one game). I know I will revert to rated G movies again, but I am sure it will be when I have kids. For some women, they don't grow out of Disney, but I did, but notice women are the larger percentage of Nintendo console owners compared to Playstation or Microsoft which are clearly dominated by males. Nintendo has a clear 50/50 ratio between both genders and thats groundbreaking. Nintendo can get me again because was once a fan but I grew out of it just like I did from watching kids animes from up until the end of highschool when I started watching Gantz, Ergo Proxy, Perfect Blue and other mature animes with more drama/thriller/sci-fi themes. I watch my comedy in FLCL and the like from time to time. Its not an insult to say we grew up or grew out of things. We're human, we have the potential to because our roles in life change (depending on the person) and it also depends on the time we're living in. Somethings stay the same but a lot of things change outside of the physical.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
dahuman said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nem said:

Piss off Gamespot. Nintendo is the only company with balls to give fans what they want.

What other company would have the balls to grab one of their iconic franchises and bring it back to the 16 bit era gameplay. We dont get big budget classic games like that anymore. The only company that tried that in recent memory was Ubisoft with Rayman Origins.
Software developers should be more like Nintendo. This senseless hating needs to stop. Not all of us want every franchise ever revived has an FPS for next-gen consoles. Enough already.

Rephrase that...Nintendo doesn't give the fans what they want, you just so happen to like what they deliver, plain and simple. I grew out of Nintendo, so speak for yourself. Nintendo has an old fashioned stance that you market new games around the same old characters in a spin dry fashion. No new characters, just nostalgia for days. They are there for you in childhood, but they dont follow you into adulthood with their offerings. Most Nintendo fans like the product so they stick with it because they know its never going to change and thats comforting. To gamers like me, change is a good thing and sometimes franchises must go for new ones to be invented and set a newer standard. Nintendo is after the newer generation of gamers. If I was the age I was when I got my first Nintendo console I would be going gaga over it as well. 

Enjoy Nintenod products, but to say they give the fans what they want is definitely a strong opinion I am willing to dispute. Nintendo is an old fashioned company that does what Nintendo wants.

P.S.

Nintendo die hards can refute what is true, remember this. At one point in time a great portion of people here were Nintendo fans and grew up with Nintendo. Theres a reason we grew out of it. I completely agree with Gamespot. Theres is something wrong with Nintendos broad outlook when it comes to dedicated gamers outside of their first party and for the growing serious gamers in their first party. 

Why "grow out"(such a shitty term to use in this case TBH, growing older or out of something never makes a man wiser, just more stubborn) of something when you can have it all? :P I literally didn't go back to "owning" a Nintendo console until the Wii after the NES LOL, so I guess I grew inwards? Like WTF does that even mean? ^_^; At the same time I game on other platforms as well, gotta keep your options open to enjoy the good games, or have friends that have them I suppose hehe.

I understand what you're saying, but growing up is just another way of saying it. We go from rated G movies to PG-13 to R movies. We go from Disney to MGM to Universal. When adults grow up they mostly tend to be interested in different things from when they were younger. I never grew out of videogames, I focused on the interests that I grew into liking more mature videogames with detailed stories and focus on intuitive gameplay narrative which gives me a reason to fight. I'll play games with less narrative like Demom/Dark Souls or but the narrative based game will get me first. It's like reading a good book or watching a really long sci-fi trilogy (which would amount to the same amount of hours as one game). I know I will revert to rated G movies again, but I am sure it will be when I have kids. For some women, they don't grow out of Disney, but I did, but notice women are the larger percentage of Nintendo console owners compared to Playstation or Microsoft which are clearly dominated by males. Nintendo has a clear 50/50 ratio between both genders and thats groundbreaking. Nintendo can get me again because was once a fan but I grew out of it just like I did from watching kids animes from up until the end of highschool when I started watching Gantz, Ergo Proxy, Perfect Blue and other mature animes with more drama/thriller/sci-fi themes. I watch my comedy in FLCL and the like from time to time. Its not an insult to say we grew up or grew out of things. We're human, we have the potential to because our roles in life change (depending on the person) and it also depends on the time we're living in. Somethings stay the same but a lot of things change outside of the physical.

Oh come on, you didn't like Shrek? The hell is wrong with you? :P

Also, try watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica, you are gonna be like "WTF?" because the art style seems kiddy but the story is pretty dark for the most part too. What I'm trying to say is that outter layer doesn't tell you the whole story. It's the same thing with Gundam AGE(good work Level 5!) I was all like "why the fuck is it so kiddy looking?" but I watched it anyways and all I watched were hate, politics and people dying left and right lol..... Same idea with Nintendo games, on the surface, they look very uh, universally appealing is how I would put it, but beneath the surface is usually packed with really good game play and content, and I would never ignore any game that has those elements no matter which platform it's on.

I've been a video gamer for the majority of my life, there really isn't growing out of anything, the moment you are convinced that you've grown out of something is another part of you dying and you'll be a grumpy ass old man at the age of 30 before you realize it :P.

Though the story is different if you talk about FPS with me, I hardly ever play or finish SP FPS games these days(I think those story telling generally suck, I don't even like Bio Shock that much) and haven't really done so since the late 90s'(last one I finished was actually Half-Life, I didn't even finish Half-Life 2 or Doom 3 lol). I'm one of those online MP FPS people that only cares about skill and capping people when it comes to FPS games lol....... No modern CoD though, those seriously fucking suck donkey dick balls for competitive FPS.