By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [UPDATED] GameSpot: Nintendo's Failure to Innovate and the Trouble With Nostalgia

Do you agree?

Yes 160 41.99%

No 221 58.01%

Total:381
Th3PANO said:
RazorDragon said:
BloodyRain said:
Player2 said:

They're right, because Nintendo still hasn't made that M-rated FPS people has been saying they need to do. Now that will be a game like no other we've seen before.

Truthfully just thinking about it seems kind of cool though. What kind of fps would nintendo make? They have the metoid prime series  so maybe their next fps might be just as good that appeals to more people. It would be like nintendos version of halo or killzone. Anyways the notion that nintendo making an m rated fps kind of amuses me lol.

Metroid Prime is the core FPS Nintendo game, specially Prime 3. It just didn't had blood and gore to be actually rated M, which, in fact, is something I like, because it would be absolutely pointless in to introduce these elements in Metroid's case.

Metroid Prime is more of a First Person Adventrue then a FPS

It's officially called an FPA, but, still, you move in first person and your character has a weapon that can shoot projectiles, so... 

Around the Network

And here I thought people in the past several years were criticizing Nintendo for putting too much stock in innovation...

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

bananaking21 said:
dahuman said:
bananaking21 said:

some guy actually just made a thread about this. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=158891&page=1# 

i personally call bullshit on that method and say that its just a PR statement to show how "innovative" and "special" nintendo are

I don't think that's "special" per say, I just think it's a smart way to do franchiases. Why else do you think stupid shit like DC comics and Marvel comics are still alive and have a ton of fans these days? Why do people still orgasm to Star Wars? If you stop working with your iconic characters, people will eventually forget them, and then you'd make no money off them. That's one part where Sony never caught on IMO, whereas MS is trying their best to farm the living shit out of Halo and Master Chief too.

The method clearly works.

i think i should have clarified my post. i wasnt calling bullshit on nintendo's strategy with releasing franchises (im not a fan but i wasnt attacking it in my post) i was calling bullshit on the PR statement released in the thread i linked you. where the guy says they just come up with idea's and then they see if the idea's fit the franchises they have. while it could have happened a few times before, i call bullshit on that is they way they do all their games. there is no doubt in my mind that they say "hey, lets make the new 3d mario or lets make the new zelda" then start thinking of some idea's for it. there is no way that any serious and big game production starts with people just thinking about random idea's then slapping it to a franchise and there you go you have a new game. 

ah okay, I didn't get it from there though, this was years ago when they said something like that, and it was directly from Miyamoto if memory serves correctly.

i agree mostly...make some new triple AAA IP already

dahuman said:
bananaking21 said:
i think i should have clarified my post. i wasnt calling bullshit on nintendo's strategy with releasing franchises (im not a fan but i wasnt attacking it in my post) i was calling bullshit on the PR statement released in the thread i linked you. where the guy says they just come up with idea's and then they see if the idea's fit the franchises they have. while it could have happened a few times before, i call bullshit on that is they way they do all their games. there is no doubt in my mind that they say "hey, lets make the new 3d mario or lets make the new zelda" then start thinking of some idea's for it. there is no way that any serious and big game production starts with people just thinking about random idea's then slapping it to a franchise and there you go you have a new game. 

ah okay, I didn't get it from there though, this was years ago when they said something like that, and it was directly from Miyamoto if memory serves correctly.

yeah my bad, should have been more clear with my post. and yes i think your memory does serve you correctly because another user just said the same thing to me in another thread

Around the Network
dahuman said:
Ji99saw said:
Gamespot just got themselves a fan, this is why I don't game on Nintendo

cool, maybe you should join their forums and make that place your permanent home :)

epic

Click HERE and be happy 

I do kinda wish Nintendo would do something more then the usual franchises. Zelda is always good fun, but do we seriously need more rehashed Pokemon games (playing Black atm. Just as boring as Platinum was) and over 10 mario games a year?

Put the focus into more titles like Xeno, Bayonetta and new IPs.

Grandia said:

In one point they really are right, Nintendo needs new IPs. Of course the should keep their old IPs every Nintendo Fan loves Zelda, Mario or Pokemon but their last really new core IPs was probably Pikmin and it was created on gamecube 12 years!!!! ago.
Nothing really new since 12 years this slowly starts to get really repetitive and it is ridiculous that they not investing in a few new IPs.

the last core new IP was pandora's tower which release on the wii in 2011 in japan europe got it in 2012 and the US got just a few days ago and the next one looks like to be the wonderful 101 

I wish Nintendo fans would buy more original content. Nintendo is catering to fans. I like that.

OT: gamespot?

yeah nintendo failed to innovate.... again

this is called innovation fucker