By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [UPDATED] GameSpot: Nintendo's Failure to Innovate and the Trouble With Nostalgia

Do you agree?

Yes 160 41.99%

No 221 58.01%

Total:381
Player2 said:
bananaking21 said:
Player2 said:

They're right, because Nintendo still hasn't made that M-rated FPS people has been saying they need to do. Now that will be a game like no other we've seen before.

if you actually heard what they said they in no way mentioned or indicated that they wanted that

And I've never said that they (Gamespot) wanted that game, but we have plenty of people here saying that that's what Nintendo needs to do.

well 83% of people on the site think they are smarter than most users on here as well. it doesnt mean that everything people say on here is true

Around the Network
dahuman said:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere once that Nintendo would come up with game play mechanics first, then throw their known characters on top of it then refine the game world to the style of the characters, so they are basically constantly improving or innovating game play, but are reusing characters, which is extremely smart considering that that's what a lot of companies are trying to do these days and is a popular way to grab 100% cash cow income in the United States at least.

Just think about how many numbers games we have these days, at least Nintendo does 90% of their games right lol.

some guy actually just made a thread about this. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=158891&page=1# 

i personally call bullshit on that method and say that its just a PR statement to show how "innovative" and "special" nintendo are

Ji99saw said:
Gamespot just got themselves a fan, this is why I don't game on Nintendo

cool, maybe you should join their forums and make that place your permanent home :)

Being a older gamer, I agree 100% what those two were talking about in that video.

I agree, but it's not a problem that's exclusive to Nintendo. Almost every other developer has joined them recently, franchises that were successful at the start of this gen on PS3 and 360 have been milked to death.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
dahuman said:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere once that Nintendo would come up with game play mechanics first, then throw their known characters on top of it then refine the game world to the style of the characters, so they are basically constantly improving or innovating game play, but are reusing characters, which is extremely smart considering that that's what a lot of companies are trying to do these days and is a popular way to grab 100% cash cow income in the United States at least.

Just think about how many numbers games we have these days, at least Nintendo does 90% of their games right lol.

some guy actually just made a thread about this. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=158891&page=1# 

i personally call bullshit on that method and say that its just a PR statement to show how "innovative" and "special" nintendo are

I don't think that's "special" per say, I just think it's a smart way to do franchiases. Why else do you think stupid shit like DC comics and Marvel comics are still alive and have a ton of fans these days? Why do people still orgasm to Star Wars? If you stop working with your iconic characters, people will eventually forget them, and then you'd make no money off them. That's one part where Sony never caught on IMO, whereas MS is trying their best to farm the living shit out of Halo and Master Chief too.

The method clearly works.

Th3PANO said:
RazorDragon said:
BloodyRain said:
Player2 said:

They're right, because Nintendo still hasn't made that M-rated FPS people has been saying they need to do. Now that will be a game like no other we've seen before.

Truthfully just thinking about it seems kind of cool though. What kind of fps would nintendo make? They have the metoid prime series  so maybe their next fps might be just as good that appeals to more people. It would be like nintendos version of halo or killzone. Anyways the notion that nintendo making an m rated fps kind of amuses me lol.

Metroid Prime is the core FPS Nintendo game, specially Prime 3. It just didn't had blood and gore to be actually rated M, which, in fact, is something I like, because it would be absolutely pointless in to introduce these elements in Metroid's case.

Metroid Prime is more of a First Person Adventrue then a FPS

weird just looked it up and you're right. I always just thought of it has an fps.

bucky1965 said:
Being a older gamer, I agree 100% what those two were talking about in that video.

never too old man, never too old.

dahuman said:
bananaking21 said:

I don't think that's "special" per say, I just think it's a smart way to do franchiases. Why else do you think stupid shit like DC comics and Marvel comics are still alive and have a ton of fans these days? Why do people still orgasm to Star Wars? If you stop working with your iconic characters, people will eventually forget them, and then you'd make no money off them. That's one part where Sony never caught on IMO, whereas MS is trying their best to farm the living shit out of Halo and Master Chief too.

The method clearly works.

i think i should have clarified my post. i wasnt calling bullshit on nintendo's strategy with releasing franchises (im not a fan but i wasnt attacking it in my post) i was calling bullshit on the PR statement released in the thread i linked you. where the guy says they just come up with idea's and then they see if the idea's fit the franchises they have. while it could have happened a few times before, i call bullshit on that is they way they do all their games. there is no doubt in my mind that they say "hey, lets make the new 3d mario or lets make the new zelda" then start thinking of some idea's for it. there is no way that any serious and big game production starts with people just thinking about random idea's then slapping it to a franchise and there you go you have a new game. 

I can just imagine after the video was over Microsoft shoved their pockets with money.