By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [UPDATED] GameSpot: Nintendo's Failure to Innovate and the Trouble With Nostalgia

Do you agree?

Yes 160 41.99%

No 221 58.01%

Total:381

I still fail to see the relation between game quality and "not being a new ip". all I see is people complaining nintendo doesn't invest in many new ips, but these people don't explain what's the problem with that. nintendo games are dam good and they wait a while before releasing the same ip. people also don't complain about mortal kombat NINE or the tenth call of retrocess in 7 years. 

Around the Network

I agree, to some extent.

Nintendo is indeed too conservative, but it has its pros and cons.

Nintendo KNOWS what makes a game good and they stick to that formula. They innovate in some aspects when it comes to their games, but the "core" mechanics of each game is kept, so that everyone who enjoyed the game before is more or less guaranteed to enjoy it again. I really like that Nintendo does it this way, because there's nothing worse than seeing a beloved IP turn to shit (I'm looking to you, Sega! Ex. Sonic). Some of Nintendo's IPs are what, 20-30 years old and they are still excellent. Familiar characters, sound effects, etc. Nintendo does it very well.

Now, when it comes to hardware, I'm actually glad Nintendo suffers some consequences at times. I mean, if it wasn't for Sony we'd probably be playing super underpowered consoles, with cartridges and terrible networking/online features. Nintendo needs to push their hardware further. Although they did take a big risk with the Wii and it paid off, I still wish it was more powerful... 

If it works, don't try to fix.

- Words more of these "editors" should learn.

aikohualda said:

yeah nintendo failed to innovate.... again

this is called innovation fucker

DO NOT DO THINGS LIKE THIS HERE.

The ensuing quote towers will topple and break things.

(for example, people's spirits)

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Well just look at their 'big three' ips of last gen.
-Metroid Prime 3 was the first competent fps with the Wiimote.
-Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 invented a new way of platforming (awesome gravity physics).
-Skyward Sword had 1:1 motion control.

Around the Network

Gamespot?! ha!

Skyward Sword - 7.5 (cause Tom played the game using a banana instead of a Wii remote)

Luigi's Mansion 2 - 6.5 (cause Carolyn found it too hard)

yeah quality review site.

BasilZero said:
Nintendo succeeds in bringing new elements to already existing IPs - there isnt anything wrong with that however like Valve who is much pretty much frozen solid in terms of software production - Nintendo hasnt really created a new AAA quality like IP - and when I mean AAA quality I mean like popular games like Mario/Zelda/Pokemon.

Werent most of the new IPs simply casual grabbers like Wii Sports/Brain Age or something minor on the portables?

No they fucking were not.

Many a time did I bust out my Balance Board for Rock 'n' Roll Climber - a game so far beyond AAA that its actual rank looks like the phoneticised screams of "hardcore" gamers falling limp to its brutal physical and mental demands.

Even the Art Style games made me their bitch. Cubello is some sort of arsehole Chesstris, Orbient requires players to use judgement and reflexes for more than just smashing a button for a QTE, and I only learned how to play Light Trax because I had a feeling that it was the sort of game that would blossom into something awesome with some patience and understanding. I am now allowed to be a smug bastard while playing it, because I know how to win, even if no-one else knows what the hell is happening (it's a racing game, by the way).

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

BasilZero said:
Gnac said:
BasilZero said:
Nintendo succeeds in bringing new elements to already existing IPs - there isnt anything wrong with that however like Valve who is much pretty much frozen solid in terms of software production - Nintendo hasnt really created a new AAA quality like IP - and when I mean AAA quality I mean like popular games like Mario/Zelda/Pokemon.

Werent most of the new IPs simply casual grabbers like Wii Sports/Brain Age or something minor on the portables?

Many a time did I bust out my Balance Board for Rock 'n' Roll Climber - a game so far beyond AAA that its actual rank looks like the phoneticised screams of "hardcore" gamers falling limp to its brutal physical and mental demands.

Never heard of it.

Go and stand in the corner, you despicable casual.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Gnac said:
BasilZero said:
Gnac said:
BasilZero said:

Never heard of it.

dont call basil despicable!! he is one of the most awesome users on this site! apologize this instant young man!

bananaking21 said:
Gnac said:
BasilZero said:
Gnac said:
BasilZero said:

Never heard of it.

dont call basil despicable!! he is one of the most awesome users on this site! apologize this instant young man!

Never heard of him.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3