By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are some good technology devices that should have caught on, but didn't?

Tagged games:

Those TV glasses

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

Sony MiniDisc. It was great for its time, but a HUGE flop.
Audio DVDs.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

The Vita, I think any chance for it to catch on has really passed now sadly. Its a real shame.

Also, the Wii U may join this list but theres time to turn it round.

Aside from the things others have said, I think Netbooks.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

crissindahouse said:
blu-ray players, there are still so many people without one but they all bought a huge plasma or lcd tv years ago

because it is crap. yes, picture quality is good but there are so many things i dislke...

1. rip-off. blu-rays are so expensive sometimes, it's ridiculous. especially for the ones that don't look much better than their dvd-versions.

2. load-times. it's unbelievable how long it takes to start a bluray on my samsung bdp.

3. unskippable ads. HATE! i want to watch the damn movie! argh!

4. "extras" wow, they put a trailer from the movie also on the disc. i mean: wtf? never used extras on dvd and don't on bluray

5. different languages: the publishers dare to release discs in europe that don't come with every language! W T F! there is plenty of size but to make even more money they release discs with 3 or 4 languages, mostly especially without german so we have to wait for our version which can sometimes be way more expensive as the version released in france, for example.

6. "bd-live" this was the most entertaining thing ever i had with bluray: i wanted to watch a movie with friends (i think it was something bourne) and my friends said "c'mon, do this bd-live stuff. we are curious what they offer!" ok, started the thing and it took ages  since something from warner bros. was loaded. well, it wasn't really ready but showed some sort of a wallpaper. a few minutes after that my bdp prompted me to put in my credentials (!) to log in to warner to see what bd-live stuff they offer me. W T F! of course i didn't have credentials and of course i didn't make an account. wanted to go back but it was faster to just reboot my player.

now i use my bdp as playback-device for 1080p mkvs. i really wanted to join the bd-party but for consumers this is the worst experience i can think of!

Around the Network
Damagon said:
Zune

In its prime it was vastly superior than any Ipod. And cheaper.

I'm with you on this one. It was a great product.

oldschoolfool said:
virtual reality is the only thing that I can think of. Something like google glasses is something I've always thought would catch on more then it has.

Google glasses are so dorky. They aren't VR, they're just sticking text in your vision. My laser tag set as a kid did that too.

walsufnir said:
crissindahouse said:
blu-ray players, there are still so many people without one but they all bought a huge plasma or lcd tv years ago

because it is crap. yes, picture quality is good but there are so many things i dislke...

1. rip-off. blu-rays are so expensive sometimes, it's ridiculous. especially for the ones that don't look much better than their dvd-versions.

2. load-times. it's unbelievable how long it takes to start a bluray on my samsung bdp.

4. "extras" wow, they put a trailer from the movie also on the disc. i mean: wtf? never used extras on dvd and don't on bluray

5. different languages: the publishers dare to release discs in europe that don't come with every language! W T F! there is plenty of size but to make even more money they release discs with 3 or 4 languages, mostly especially without german so we have to wait for our version which can sometimes be way more expensive as the version released in france, for example.

6. "bd-live" this was the most entertaining thing ever i had with bluray: i wanted to watch a movie with friends (i think it was something bourne) and my friends said "c'mon, do this bd-live stuff. we are curious what they offer!" ok, started the thing and it took ages  since something from warner bros. was loaded. well, it wasn't really ready but showed some sort of a wallpaper. a few minutes after that my bdp prompted me to put in my credentials (!) to log in to warner to see what bd-live stuff they offer me. W T F! of course i didn't have credentials and of course i didn't make an account. wanted to go back but it was faster to just reboot my player.

now i use my bdp as playback-device for 1080p mkvs. i really wanted to join the bd-party but for consumers this is the worst experience i can think of!

Yes, yes, oh, so much yes, yes, if you say so, and yes.  I acutally saved up to make sure I got a player that could have BD-Live.  I went on a few times, you are right, takes forever to load, then dodn't really give you anything.  Just an add, or a gossip page, such a disapointment.

But the worste part is those ads.  I've already bought the disk, why am I forced to spend so much time with Ads! Drives me to only get a BD if it's super cheap and something I just have to had - which is almost nothing.  I'd rather just stream it - fast play and no ads!

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

People buy blu-rays?

I always just rent em from the local library.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Zappykins said:
walsufnir said:
crissindahouse said:

Yes, yes, oh, so much yes, yes, if you say so, and yes.  I acutally saved up to make sure I got a player that could have BD-Live.  I went on a few times, you are right, takes forever to load, then dodn't really give you anything.  Just an add, or a gossip page, such a disapointment.

But the worste part is those ads.  I've already bought the disk, why am I forced to spend so much time with Ads! Drives me to only get a BD if it's super cheap and something I just have to had - which is almost nothing.  I'd rather just stream it - fast play and no ads!

At least I am not alone! :) I think the whole BD-Live java-crap is so unnecessary... Why don't they sell discs with just the movie to a lower price? No, they won't ;) BD is digging its own grave. Streaming is way better - click, buffering, go. Even the resume-feature works, my BDP fails every second time to do so.

And the point " I've already bought the disk" YES! YEHES! The companies are crazy! And yes, I know it's not allowed to copy the disc! I BOUGHT IT! If you get the mkv of the movie, it just plays... This is so silly... But the same is when you go to cinema: Ads, trailers, ads... A warning that cameras are not allowed... Guys, I payed 13 euros for your movie, just start it! Argh!