By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 made the greatest comeback ever.

Tagged games:

PS3 made the greatest comeback ever

Agree 471 71.04%

Disagree 192 28.96%

Total:663
brendude13 said:
JakDaSnack said:
brendude13 said:
JakDaSnack said:

Again, the console wars are about profit, not just selling the most amount of consoles.

Gamecube beat PS2 last gen?

That's the most idiotic thing i've read today....Sony made a ton more profit off the ps2 than Nintendo did with the gamecube...I get that your trying to be clever, but please, do research before making yourself look stupid.

Calm down.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136006&page=1

Not sure how accurate this is, though you'll probably refute it regardless.

Calm down?  um, ok

Anyways, those number include GBA and GC, it's hard to gauge just how much profit Nintendo made on the GC alone, at least with those numbers.  And if I am wrong, and the GC did in fact make more profit than the ps2, then yes, the GC was the console champ that gen.

Something...Something...Games...Something

Around the Network
JakDaSnack said:
brendude13 said:
JakDaSnack said:
brendude13 said:

Calm down?  um, ok

Anyways, those number include GBA and GC, it's hard to gauge just how much profit Nintendo made on the GC alone, at least with those numbers.  And if I am wrong, and the GC did in fact make more profit than the ps2, then yes, the GC was the console champ that gen.

You are so wrong.

Max King of the Wild said:
JakDaSnack said:
brendude13 said:
JakDaSnack said:
brendude13 said:

Calm down?  um, ok

You are so wrong.

about what?  lol

JakDaSnack said:
brendude13 said:
JakDaSnack said:
brendude13 said:
JakDaSnack said:

Again, the console wars are about profit, not just selling the most amount of consoles.

That's the most idiotic thing i've read today....Sony made a ton more profit off the ps2 than Nintendo did with the gamecube...I get that your trying to be clever, but please, do research before making yourself look stupid.

Calm down.

Calm down?  um, ok

It's the whole gaming divison, so that's true. Still, there is a possibility that the Gamecube did make more profit despite selling less than 1/7th what the PS2 did. I was just trying to point out that profits do not dictate whether a console wins a generation or not.

Viktor said:
Lawlight said:
Viktor said:

PS3 was considered to become the dominant market leader pre launch and to overtake X360 in the first 1-2 years, 3rd party support was therefore guaranteed. Games like GTA4, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid were even announced before PS3 came to the market, and every reasonable and actually most people said PS3 will be fine when it´s price gets down. Reading this thread I get the impression someones feelings got hurt and now try to compensate something because Sony failed to dominate back in the day.

I wonder how you feel about the PS3 finishing first this gen.

Like I said some of you are obviously still really sad because PS3 didn´t dominate the market. Most will just valuate it for what it is, while Nintendo (since 2011) and MS will have moved on and concentrate on next gen systems, Sony will try to squeeze out every little drop of PS3 due to their billions lost in the beginning. That´s also a reason PS4 likely won´t have backward compatibility.

This is also really similar to the reactions in 2010/2011, when NDS slowed down in Japan due to the shift of development and marketing resources to their next gen handheld and due to that PSP became the best selling system for some months, and we know what this "victory" was in the grand picture of the market today.

Most people would just recognise the sales but I doubt they will be obsessed with last-gen system sales like some people in this thread instead of beeing more interested in how the new systems perform. We know that likely this year and if there are any relevant delays next year all 3 (Sony, MS, N) will have huge marketing campaigns to market their new systems and this will affect any last gen system anyway.  

Wtf did I read. PS4 has no BC because it has a different architecture, Sony would've supported PS3 regardless if PS4 supported BC, thats how Sony rolls.

PSP became popular because Nintendo shifted resources away from NDS? PSP was the best selling system for "some months"? Lmao

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
JakDaSnack said:
brendude13 said:
JakDaSnack said:
brendude13 said:
JakDaSnack said:

Calm down.

Calm down?  um, ok

It's the whole gaming divison, so that's true. Still, there is a possibility that the Gamecube did make more profit despite selling less than 1/7th what the PS2 did. I was just trying to point out that profits do not dictate whether a console wins a generation or not.

I know what you were trying to do, but lets be honest, their is no "real" way to dictate who wins a console war.  The winner is always debated by the fan boys, but all in all, what really matters is profits.  That's why I believe that whoever makes the most money from their console is the winner, because that's all that matters in the end.  If Sony sells the ps4 at 100 dollars, ends up selling 100 million units, but goes bankrupt and exits the console wars, while neither the wiiU or xbox720 break 50 million, make a big profit, and go on to better things.  Would you really declare sony the winner?  I wouldn't, if you can be forced to go bankrupt because of your console AND win the console wars, then something is seriously wrong.

I wonder ... what's the brand with the biggest drop (in total sales) in the history of gaming? No flame intended; just another way to look at things. I know ... for this subject - everybody could put a spin. It's just like loosing a great comeback match.... the what if?

Ex Graphics Whore.

Max King of the Wild said:
This thread is ridiculous. A comeback for a company compared to a console? That's apples to oranges. Make a thread saying Nintendo made the best comeback if you want and I'm sure most would agree with you that are disagreeing with you here.

I'm not back peddling. I haven't made any claims to back peddle on. And I won't quote you when I'm on my phone.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo made more profit than Sony during GC era. Profits are important for a company but while talking about performance of an item it's irrelevant. Example I used earlier in the thread are sports teams that do great but can barely sell 5k tickets a game (Pheonix Coyotes and Chicago White Sox). You don't see people thinking the Cubs are a great team because they sell out every game.

Kasz - people do refer to being down and out and making a game out of it later a come back as I've posted evidence earlier.

I don't see how any rational person can come to that conclusion in a discussion like this. A comeback in this scenario should include all factors, not simply sales. Especially considering even if you took an entirely sales-centric angle, the PS3 still loses out because it's not even in 2nd place let alone 1st place. Furthermore, when was the PS3 having abysmal sales or anything? Some people in this thread act like it was on pace for GCN numbers and then just exploded.

360 launched in November of 2005. It sold less in 2005 than PS3 did in 2006 when it launched in November. In 2007, PS3's first year on the market, it sold more than the 360 did in either 2006 or 2007. Right from the start it was obvious the PS3, aligned for launch with the 360 numbers, was on track to eventually sell better. There was no "comeback". It was only a matter of time. Now, that time eventually took way longer than anyone imagined, due to unforseen success of the Wii and the 360 revival thanks to Kinect. But the point remains, it seems some people here have this theory that PS3 was heavily persecuted and started out terribly compared to the competition or something and neither of those theories mesh with reality.

Regarding your sports analogy, it doesn't really work because in both sports and the console wars, you have multiple perspectives. Yes, you're right, I doubt baseball fans would think the Cubs are a great team because they sell out. However, does the owner consider the Cubs a successful business, regardless of win/loss? No doubt. They are the 4th most valuable team in baseball. They made a lot of money without winning as many games as anyone else. That's not really a just comparison, sports to console sales, because the overall goal of every team in sports is to win a championship. And you win the championship by winning the most games, making the playoffs, and beating everyone there.

Meanwhile in the console business, I highly doubt that if Sony were to eventually pass the Wii in total sales, Nintendo execs would suddenly start panicing and would instantly consider this gen a total failure. Just like if Sony were to eventually pass the Wii in sales with the PS3, they might release some wordy PR about it, but it wouldn't result in Sony stocks surging, and wouldn't erase everything Sony lost this gen. It would still be a failure for them.

The sports comparison you're looking for is actually a "moral victory". For example, my Dallas Mavericks are missing the playoffs for the first time in like 11 years or so, but I am proud of the way they played considering they are a collection of old players on 1 year deals and our star player missed a big chunk of the season, putting the team in a huge hole and they only just yesterday climbed back to .500. That's a moral victory. What Sony might eventually achieve this gen is a moral victory.

TimCliveroller said:
I wonder ... what's the brand with the biggest drop (in total sales) in the history of gaming? No flame intended; just another way to look at things. I know ... for this subject - everybody could put a spin. It's just like loosing a great comeback match.... the what if?

nintendo virtua boy

J_Allard said:
platformmaster918 said:

doesn't it sell less than PS3 which is 5 years older in America, the PS3's worst region?  I mean it's doing great and is definitely dominating handhelds, but considering it's already $170 it should be outselling PS3 in America.  Also 3DS was never out of first for the handhelds.  It sold fairly strong (just not Nintendo handheld strong) in the first couple months then exploded.  PS3 is still in 3rd (not for long) but it was getting trounced and hated across the entire internet and news media.  They completely turned around the console and got it to be (by the time it's disontinued) a ~100m seller (PS1 levels).  That's one hell of turn around that took years.  I can't compare that to a handheld selling slightly less than expected before rebounding before the competition even came out.

Uh.. the US is not the PS3's worst region. Japan is the PS3's worst region. And the 3DS was getting shit on just like the PS3 was. Seems silly to say sales matter when disqualifying the 3DS but then at the same time sales can't matter when PS3 is involved because it's still in last place.

1. It's quite obvious PS3 won't remain 3rd.

2. I mean marketshare wise.  Europe it's going to be first.  Japan it's been second for awhile.  US it'll remain 3rd and has always sold the worst compared to its competitors.  Of course Japan isn't going to compete on raw numbers their population could never match.

3.  How was 3DS didn't get nearly the hate PS3 did and wasn't late to the party to complicate its problem.  The competition hadn't even announced their price and yet it was pretty obvious Nintendo was going to be the same price if not cheaper (certainly not $200 more).  Also even if you want to say the level of hate was the same, for 3DS it was a period of a couple months at most while PS3 got shat on for at least a year at that rate before people started to change.  If we're keeping with the comeback story PS3 is a fourth quarter comeback (when it happens) while 3DS is a favored team not getting as big a lead as they thought they would in the first before blowing the other team out.

4. I never said sales didn't matter but I'm not going to compare a country like Japan to a country like the US when it's pretty obvious it's impossible for PS3 to sell as much in Japan as it did in the US.  Hell the PS3 in the US oustold the PS2 in Japan.  I hope that puts into perspective how ridiculous it is to compare those 2 regions on raw numbers and not market share.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers