By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 made the greatest comeback ever.

Tagged games:

PS3 made the greatest comeback ever

Agree 471 71.04%

Disagree 192 28.96%

Total:663
platformmaster918 said:

I'm just looking at week to week sales.  I'm sure 3DS did better during the holidays.  Look obviously 3DS is going to win a marketshare to marketshare battle considering it has only 1 competitor compared to PS3's 2 competitors.  I still don't see how selling less than PS3 in PS3's worst region marketshare wise can be considered good sales with all the things I mentioned.  PS3 is old and dominated in that market by its competition (well not Wii anymore) while 3DS is dominating handheld marketshare, relatively new, and cheaper yet it sells significantly less than PS3 most weeks.  It's more of a sign of general handheld decline in the US but it's still not good.  Japan is kinda the opposite where handhelds are strong and home consoles are weak.  Also PS3 is still a comeback considering that 2 years into its life and 3 years into 360's it didn't look like it would ever pass or would take forever to do so.  360 managed to get Kinect to catch on and give it a secondary boost, but PS3 has definitely come back.  If it passes Wii will that be enough for you?  Also how do you consider 3DS a comeback when it was never behind or selling that horribly yet PS3 isn't?

You made a comment about 3DS sales being bad because they can't outsell PS3 in PS3's worst region. That's a hilariously misleading comment considering you're putting a US region where it's sold 26,000,000+ consoles behind a region where it has sold 1/3 that amount, due to "marketshare". Regional marketshare is irrelevant when you're comparing raw sales numbers between two consoles, especially given such a large difference in sales between the US and Japan. It doesn't matter that in Japan the PS3 only trails the Wii. You're talking about a consoles sales in the US, where the PS3 does fine. The only reason you're adding a marketshare spin is because you were called out for making a stupid comment. I'm not gonna comment on this anymore, it started hilarious but your continued defense of it is boring me. You can't honestly believe you made some good point there. Fact of the matter is in 2012 the 3DS outsold the PS3 in the US. Also, fun fact: the US was actually the worst region for the 3DS and yet it still outsold the PS3 here :(

2 years into the PS3's life in 2008 it got outsold by the 360 by like 700k units worldwide. Not nearly enough to take it off the pace it had been since day one, to pass the 360. And you just said it yourself right there with the bolded. That is exactly what has happened. There is no comeback when the expected is exactly what is going on.

Around the Network

SNES made a comeback from last, and much lower sales than Megadrive place to a dominant first place.
Wii made a comeback from the Gamecube era from distant last to a distant first.

PS3 didn't even make a comeback, it just caught up a little over the past 6 and a half years and still remains in last place by tens of millions. Nice to see that, on this site, there are hundreds of Sony fans who desperately want to believe in this fantasy though.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I think Nintendos comeback from the horrible days of the GC to the incredible release of the Wii was the best comeback the tech industry

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

J_Allard said:
platformmaster918 said:

I'm just looking at week to week sales.  I'm sure 3DS did better during the holidays.  Look obviously 3DS is going to win a marketshare to marketshare battle considering it has only 1 competitor compared to PS3's 2 competitors.  I still don't see how selling less than PS3 in PS3's worst region marketshare wise can be considered good sales with all the things I mentioned.  PS3 is old and dominated in that market by its competition (well not Wii anymore) while 3DS is dominating handheld marketshare, relatively new, and cheaper yet it sells significantly less than PS3 most weeks.  It's more of a sign of general handheld decline in the US but it's still not good.  Japan is kinda the opposite where handhelds are strong and home consoles are weak.  Also PS3 is still a comeback considering that 2 years into its life and 3 years into 360's it didn't look like it would ever pass or would take forever to do so.  360 managed to get Kinect to catch on and give it a secondary boost, but PS3 has definitely come back.  If it passes Wii will that be enough for you?  Also how do you consider 3DS a comeback when it was never behind or selling that horribly yet PS3 isn't?

You made a comment about 3DS sales being bad because they can't outsell PS3 in PS3's worst region. That's a hilariously misleading comment considering you're putting a US region where it's sold 26,000,000+ consoles behind a region where it has sold 1/3 that amount, due to "marketshare". Regional marketshare is irrelevant when you're comparing raw sales numbers between two consoles, especially given such a large difference in sales between the US and Japan. It doesn't matter that in Japan the PS3 only trails the Wii. You're talking about a consoles sales in the US, where the PS3 does fine. The only reason you're adding a marketshare spin is because you were called out for making a stupid comment. I'm not gonna comment on this anymore, it started hilarious but your continued defense of it is boring me. You can't honestly believe you made some good point there. Fact of the matter is in 2012 the 3DS outsold the PS3 in the US. Also, fun fact: the US was actually the worst region for the 3DS and yet it still outsold the PS3 here :(

2 years into the PS3's life in 2008 it got outsold by the 360 by like 700k units worldwide. Not nearly enough to take it off the pace it had been since day one, to pass the 360. And you just said it yourself right there with the bolded. That is exactly what has happened. There is no comeback when the expected is exactly what is going on.

right so in other words you have no counter.  How else would it be the PS3's worst region?  I mean seriously I only would've said it was PS3's worst region if I was talking marketshare.  How else would it be PS3's worst region?  That's nice that 3DS outsold it in 2012, but like I said it definitely is getting outsold week to week right now.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Jay520 said:
Nope. Here is the greatest comeback ever:

Not to mention the comeback actually resulted in a win.

That was really, really cool! Even for a non-basketball fan.

Around the Network

Regarding the side argument of of what is a comeback, a comeback involves tying or winning, not coming close. Coming close is a "late surge" or "comeback bid that falls short".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comeback

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/comeback

It could be argued that neither the SNES or PS3 made a comeback, because they were not in a lead, lost it, and returned to glory. If we use the sports reference, SNES made a comeback because it was losing at the begining and won at the end. The PS3 did not make a comeback as it is still losing. At this stage we would call it a late surge. If PS3 sells another 30 million or so and eventually leads the generation, it will have a completed a comeback, and it would probably be considered the greatest comeback. As it stands right now, SNES is the only comeback winner by any definition, and as such is the greatest comeback winner.

Kasz216 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
This thread has gone all over the place and has some misinfo and misunderstanding.

The PS3 is the second biggest comeback console. #1 is the SNES, and the stories are kinda similar for the two. The SNES launched last behind the Genesis and Turbographix 16, but it was more powerful and had much better 3rd party support. As the generation went on the other systems lost steam while the SNES eventually dominated the market. Whoever said Genesis beat SNES and was a big comeback is way off. SNES outsold Genesis 50 million to 30 million. Genesis was an early starter, not a comeback.

PS3 is a similar story, as it was a follow up to a massive success but started slow and took a long time to gain market. But it istn't the biggest comeback because, as has been said by others, it's still in last place. It will probably finish a slight second in the end but it will still have about 30% market share. SNES meanwhile went from last to around 60% market share, making it a much, much bigger comeback success.

Did the SNES start selling awful though?

I mean... as i seemed to remember, the Genesis had such a huge lead because the NES was still doing amazing so it took a while for it to even need to be released.

The SNES was never awful, but it was behind. It was behind in total sales, in market share, and most importantly, was behind in current weekly sales as well.  Upon its release it was selling at a slower rate than Genesis in the US, Europe and globaly in total.  It wasn't just a head start for Genesis, Sega was doing better head-to-head.  The launch of Street Fighter 2 and other major third party content changed perception, and as Genesis died DKC was released and SNES lived on long after.  The situation is very much like PS3 vs Wii.  SNES remains the one console that used processing power as a significant edge to winning a generation, though you could argue that games like DKC were more about programing tricks than the power of SNES.

platformmaster918 said:

right so in other words you have no counter.  How else would it be the PS3's worst region?  I mean seriously I only would've said it was PS3's worst region if I was talking marketshare.  How else would it be PS3's worst region?  That's nice that 3DS outsold it in 2012, but like I said it definitely is getting outsold week to week right now.

No counter to what? Yikes, you're still stuck on worst region. I understand that if you look at it in a:

Japan: 2nd place
EU: 2nd place
US: 3rd place

manner, it is PS3's "worst region". But you're comparing pure sales numbers between it and the 3DS. So the reality is:

Japan: 9+ million
EU: 29+ million
US: 26+ million

So even if, by marketshare, the US is PS3's "worst region", getting outsold by it here is not some huge deal  because it sells very well here. Again, you're just using a marketshare spin because it's the absolute only way you can try to put some negativity on the numbers. It's sad and hilarious to see both at the same time. Toodles.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Kasz216 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
This thread has gone all over the place and has some misinfo and misunderstanding.

The PS3 is the second biggest comeback console. #1 is the SNES, and the stories are kinda similar for the two. The SNES launched last behind the Genesis and Turbographix 16, but it was more powerful and had much better 3rd party support. As the generation went on the other systems lost steam while the SNES eventually dominated the market. Whoever said Genesis beat SNES and was a big comeback is way off. SNES outsold Genesis 50 million to 30 million. Genesis was an early starter, not a comeback.

PS3 is a similar story, as it was a follow up to a massive success but started slow and took a long time to gain market. But it istn't the biggest comeback because, as has been said by others, it's still in last place. It will probably finish a slight second in the end but it will still have about 30% market share. SNES meanwhile went from last to around 60% market share, making it a much, much bigger comeback success.

Did the SNES start selling awful though?

I mean... as i seemed to remember, the Genesis had such a huge lead because the NES was still doing amazing so it took a while for it to even need to be released.

The SNES was never awful, but it was behind. It was behind in total sales, in market share, and most importantly, was behind in current weekly sales as well.  Upon its release it was selling at a slower rate than Genesis in the US, Europe and globaly in total.  It wasn't just a head start for Genesis, Sega was doing better head-to-head.  The launch of Street Fighter 2 and other major third party content changed perception, and as Genesis died DKC was released and SNES lived on long after.  The situation is very much like PS3 vs Wii.  SNES remains the one console that used processing power as a significant edge to winning a generation, though you could argue that games like DKC were more about programing tricks than the power of SNES.

Huh.  No kidding.

Also... i'd argue being able to take advantage of programming tricks IS power.  At least in it's "final" most important form. 

Max King of the Wild said:

Kasz - people do refer to being down and out and making a game out of it later a come back as I've posted evidence earlier.

In the Southern Unites States people call Pepsi, "Coke."  (As well as every other kind of Soda Pop.)

Pepsi is not Coke.

Someone may misuse or shorten a term here or there... doesn't actually change anything.