By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 made the greatest comeback ever.

Tagged games:

PS3 made the greatest comeback ever

Agree 471 71.04%

Disagree 192 28.96%

Total:663
Jay520 said:
Nope. Here is the greatest comeback ever:

Not to mention the comeback actually resulted in a win.

That was amazing.

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:
J_Allard said:
platformmaster918 said:

doesn't it sell less than PS3 which is 5 years older in America, the PS3's worst region?  I mean it's doing great and is definitely dominating handhelds, but considering it's already $170 it should be outselling PS3 in America.  Also 3DS was never out of first for the handhelds.  It sold fairly strong (just not Nintendo handheld strong) in the first couple months then exploded.  PS3 is still in 3rd (not for long) but it was getting trounced and hated across the entire internet and news media.  They completely turned around the console and got it to be (by the time it's disontinued) a ~100m seller (PS1 levels).  That's one hell of turn around that took years.  I can't compare that to a handheld selling slightly less than expected before rebounding before the competition even came out.

Uh.. the US is not the PS3's worst region. Japan is the PS3's worst region. And the 3DS was getting shit on just like the PS3 was. Seems silly to say sales matter when disqualifying the 3DS but then at the same time sales can't matter when PS3 is involved because it's still in last place.

1. It's quite obvious PS3 won't remain 3rd.

2. I mean marketshare wise.  Europe it's going to be first.  Japan it's been second for awhile.  US it'll remain 3rd and has always sold the worst compared to its competitors.  Of course Japan isn't going to compete on raw numbers their population could never match.

3.  How was 3DS didn't get nearly the hate PS3 did and wasn't late to the party to complicate its problem.  The competition hadn't even announced their price and yet it was pretty obvious Nintendo was going to be the same price if not cheaper (certainly not $200 more).  Also even if you want to say the level of hate was the same, for 3DS it was a period of a couple months at most while PS3 got shat on for at least a year at that rate before people started to change.  If we're keeping with the comeback story PS3 is a fourth quarter comeback (when it happens) while 3DS is a favored team not getting as big a lead as they thought they would in the first before blowing the other team out.

4. I never said sales didn't matter but I'm not going to compare a country like Japan to a country like the US when it's pretty obvious it's impossible for PS3 to sell as much in Japan as it did in the US.  Hell the PS3 in the US oustold the PS2 in Japan.  I hope that puts into perspective how ridiculous it is to compare those 2 regions on raw numbers and not market share.

It's in last place right now and this thread exists right now. Also, 2nd place this late in the game is still a failure for a company coming off PS/PS2 and the billions they lost.

Your comment about "worst region" was just a hilariously bad attempt at taking a swing at the 3DS. It makes absolutely no sense no matter how you try to justify it. So lets recap this. People are talking about the 3DS and you come in and say "well LOL US is ps3's worst territory and it still outsells 3ds LOL". Well the PS3 sold 17,000,000 units over the last 4 years in the US. In Japan, it sold 6,000,000. So you're basically saying that even though the PS3 sells three times as much in the US as it does in Japan, the 3DS not outselling the PS3 here is something to be ashamed of or something, because the PS3 happens to be the #2 home console in Japan. Yikes. Don't strain yourself with that reach.

The PS3 was on pace to outsell the 360 from the moment it launched. You guys are really overrating this negativity surrounding the PS3. Do not confuse NeoGAF threads and Kotaku articles with the real world please.

walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Sony managed an impressive turnaround with PS3, but it pales in comparison to the renaissance Nintendo achieved with Wii.

Honestly, the two scenarios aren't really close. PS3 endured a rocky launch and then improved greatly, but Nintendo moved from last place to first place with one of the most revolutionary, disruptive, financially successful consoles of all time.

Even if we're talking about a single console generation, Sony hasn't "won" anything. It's still sitting in third place. I'm not saying it deserves to be in third -- it doesn't -- but it IS there. If a basketball team had a 13-0 run to end the game, but still lost 78-75, it wouldn't be called a comeback, would it?

Really the only way to argue this is to cite software, but even that would be a losing argument. The early PS3 games might not be as impressive as the later ones, but there were some gems: Resistance, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, etc.

Well, the turnaround is a fluke, basically. It just so happened that non-gamers latched on to the novelty. No different from the tamagotchi.

I'm confused by your post. Are you refuting my point? Or are you taking a pot shot at Nintendo? Or both? Or neither?

Which point? The point where you assume that the race is over? As you say, the one with the most points win and we don't know the final score yet.

Then tell us when you think the race is over. When PS3 sold enough? :) This is the thing most argue about: when is the "race" over? Nintendo already quit race. So for them race is already over. Usually Sony sells their consoles longer than others so it's somehow shifted.

Well, the race is over when there is no possibility of any change in the ranking. And Nintendo forfeiting doesn't mean the race is over.

Thanks for your opinion to this.

That's not an opinion. It's a fact that the one who finishes with the most units sold wins - just like the football team which finishes with the most points wins.

Yes, but it is different if one football team keeps on playing while the other team already went to another opponent and is playing against the others. But let me ask you one question: if PS3 fails, god forbid, to gain number 1 in sales in 20xx, will PS3 automatically have lost this gen?

Well, if the team is still playing, then that means the race to the top isn't over. It just so happened that one team forfeited and stop playing. Yes, if the PS3 doesn't finish first, it would have lost.

J_Allard said:

It's in last place right now and this thread exists right now. Also, 2nd place this late in the game is still a failure for a company coming off PS/PS2 and the billions they lost.

Your comment about "worst region" was just a hilariously bad attempt at taking a swing at the 3DS. It makes absolutely no sense no matter how you try to justify it. So lets recap this. People are talking about the 3DS and you come in and say "well LOL US is ps3's worst territory and it still outsells 3ds LOL". Well the PS3 sold 17,000,000 units over the last 4 years in the US. In Japan, it sold 6,000,000. So you're basically saying that even though the PS3 sells three times as much in the US as it does in Japan, the 3DS not outselling the PS3 here is something to be ashamed of or something, because the PS3 happens to be the #2 home console in Japan. Yikes. Don't strain yourself with that reach.

The PS3 was on pace to outsell the 360 from the moment it launched. You guys are really overrating this negativity surrounding the PS3. Do not confuse NeoGAF threads and Kotaku articles with the real world please.

I don't get what's so hard to understand or what you think is a reach.  As I've mentioned I'm comparing marketshare in the different regions when I say PS3's worst region is US.  Of course it sells more in the US the US has a larger population.  Of course there are flaws when comparing handhelds to consoles such as Japan liking handhelds a lot more and thus the 3DS sells more there than any home console in any region.  I'm just saying it's not great when you're getting outsold by a product that is years older and $80 more expensive in that products worst (as in worst marketshare and mindshare, trust me I live in the US and PS3 isn't too strong here) region.

Also considering people like Gabe Newell were saying PS3 should be discontinued and that it was being outsold by 360 in 08 I think there really was that much hate.  $599 was huge and turned a great many people away.

Also also the thread exists because the comeback is inevitable at this point.  Why not be pre-emptive about it?  Now the only real question as far as this "comback" goes is whether or not PS3 can pass Wii eventually.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:

I don't get what's so hard to understand or what you think is a reach.  As I've mentioned I'm comparing marketshare in the different regions when I say PS3's worst region is US.  Of course it sells more in the US the US has a larger population.  Of course there are flaws when comparing handhelds to consoles such as Japan liking handhelds a lot more and thus the 3DS sells more there than any home console in any region.  I'm just saying it's not great when you're getting outsold by a product that is years older and $80 more expensive in that products worst (as in worst marketshare and mindshare, trust me I live in the US and PS3 isn't too strong here) region.

Also considering people like Gabe Newell were saying PS3 should be discontinued and that it was being outsold by 360 in 08 I think there really was that much hate.  $599 was huge and turned a great many people away.

Also also the thread exists because the comeback is inevitable at this point.  Why not be pre-emptive about it?  Now the only real question as far as this "comback" goes is whether or not PS3 can pass Wii eventually.

Not surprised that you don't really get it. What does marketshare difference between Japan and US matter when you're directly comparing the US sales of the PS3 and 3DS? You're typing up a lot of stuff to explain how different the two territories are.. shouldn't that be your first clue as to what a silly remark it was to make? I mean, surely you can come up with something better than that to discredit the 3DS. Also, the 3DS actually outsold the PS3 in 2012 in the US according to the site we're on. Which makes the remark not only laughably misleading, but factually incorrect. Seems the 3DS will now be outselling PS3 in its best and worst territories :(

360 did outsell the PS3 in 2008. But not in 2007.. 2009.. or 2010. or 2011.. etc etc. Again, align the launches and PS3 was selling better from the start. This is something Sony guys are real quick to point out in sales debates... yet now it seems the PS3 was a massive underdog on its way to being buried for eternity next thousands of copies of ET lol.

Around the Network

Yeap it did.

On track to finish this gen being the BEST SELLING CONSOLE!!!

J_Allard said:
platformmaster918 said:

Not surprised that you don't really get it. What does marketshare difference between Japan and US matter when you're directly comparing the US sales of the PS3 and 3DS? You're typing up a lot of stuff to explain how different the two territories are.. shouldn't that be your first clue as to what a silly remark it was to make? I mean, surely you can come up with something better than that to discredit the 3DS. Also, the 3DS actually outsold the PS3 in 2012 in the US according to the site we're on. Which makes the remark not only laughably misleading, but factually incorrect. Seems the 3DS will now be outselling PS3 in its best and worst territories :(

360 did outsell the PS3 in 2008. But not in 2007.. 2009.. or 2010. or 2011.. etc etc. Again, align the launches and PS3 was selling better from the start. This is something Sony guys are real quick to point out in sales debates... yet now it seems the PS3 was a massive underdog on its way to being buried for eternity next thousands of copies of ET lol.

I'm just looking at week to week sales.  I'm sure 3DS did better during the holidays.  Look obviously 3DS is going to win a marketshare to marketshare battle considering it has only 1 competitor compared to PS3's 2 competitors.  I still don't see how selling less than PS3 in PS3's worst region marketshare wise can be considered good sales with all the things I mentioned.  PS3 is old and dominated in that market by its competition (well not Wii anymore) while 3DS is dominating handheld marketshare, relatively new, and cheaper yet it sells significantly less than PS3 most weeks.  It's more of a sign of general handheld decline in the US but it's still not good.  Japan is kinda the opposite where handhelds are strong and home consoles are weak.  Also PS3 is still a comeback considering that 2 years into its life and 3 years into 360's it didn't look like it would ever pass or would take forever to do so.  360 managed to get Kinect to catch on and give it a secondary boost, but PS3 has definitely come back.  If it passes Wii will that be enough for you?  Also how do you consider 3DS a comeback when it was never behind or selling that horribly yet PS3 isn't?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Jay520 said:

amazing; i had not seen this before

I can't really agree with the OP, as the PS3 is still 3rd in the 3 consoles for last gen. If it had taken over 1st, then there's a case, but otherwise, it's still behind. If you are talking about in sense of not being a flop, then Id say its in 2nd compared to the 3DS. Even without competition, the 3DS struggled and looked like it was going to crash and burn for a little while there. The bounce back was pretty fast and furious though!

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Jay520 said:

Amazing.

And I agree... PS3 will win this generation.