By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 made the greatest comeback ever.

Tagged games:

PS3 made the greatest comeback ever

Agree 471 71.04%

Disagree 192 28.96%

Total:663
platformmaster918 said:

doesn't it sell less than PS3 which is 5 years older in America, the PS3's worst region?  I mean it's doing great and is definitely dominating handhelds, but considering it's already $170 it should be outselling PS3 in America.  Also 3DS was never out of first for the handhelds.  It sold fairly strong (just not Nintendo handheld strong) in the first couple months then exploded.  PS3 is still in 3rd (not for long) but it was getting trounced and hated across the entire internet and news media.  They completely turned around the console and got it to be (by the time it's disontinued) a ~100m seller (PS1 levels).  That's one hell of turn around that took years.  I can't compare that to a handheld selling slightly less than expected before rebounding before the competition even came out.

Uh.. the US is not the PS3's worst region. Japan is the PS3's worst region. And the 3DS was getting shit on just like the PS3 was. Seems silly to say sales matter when disqualifying the 3DS but then at the same time sales can't matter when PS3 is involved because it's still in last place.

Around the Network

Wow 70% agree with this?
Nintendo is the one that made the come back.
I know we have opinions... but never for one second thought of it as a come back. Look at Gamecube's numbers then Wii's numbers. That's a come back.

It's just that simple.

MonstaMack said:
Wow 70% agree with this?
I know we have opinions... but never for one second thought of it as a come back. Look at Gamecube's numbers then Wii's numbers. That's a come back.

GCN -> Wii comeback is devastating to the PS3 case and has thus been rendered void and inapplicable.

Lawlight said:

That's not an opinion. It's a fact that the one who finishes with the most units sold wins - just like the football team which finishes with the most points wins.

Does someone have to remind you that many sports game end with the losing team having the ball and about to score but runs out of time?

edit - nevermind my post sucks, I thought I had something smart to say

J_Allard said:
MonstaMack said:
Wow 70% agree with this?

GCN -> Wii comeback is devastating to the PS3 case and has thus been rendered void and inapplicable.

Nappa: WHAT?

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
MonstaMack said:
Wow 70% agree with this?

?

brendude13 said:
J_Allard said:
MonstaMack said:
Wow 70% agree with this?

?

I'm just saying, some people got tired of everyone mentioning Nintendo and the Wii turnaround so they have started saying the GCN -> Wii comeback doesn't really apply to this thread.

Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Sony managed an impressive turnaround with PS3, but it pales in comparison to the renaissance Nintendo achieved with Wii.

Honestly, the two scenarios aren't really close. PS3 endured a rocky launch and then improved greatly, but Nintendo moved from last place to first place with one of the most revolutionary, disruptive, financially successful consoles of all time.

Even if we're talking about a single console generation, Sony hasn't "won" anything. It's still sitting in third place. I'm not saying it deserves to be in third -- it doesn't -- but it IS there. If a basketball team had a 13-0 run to end the game, but still lost 78-75, it wouldn't be called a comeback, would it?

Really the only way to argue this is to cite software, but even that would be a losing argument. The early PS3 games might not be as impressive as the later ones, but there were some gems: Resistance, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, etc.

Well, the turnaround is a fluke, basically. It just so happened that non-gamers latched on to the novelty. No different from the tamagotchi.

I'm confused by your post. Are you refuting my point? Or are you taking a pot shot at Nintendo? Or both? Or neither?

Which point? The point where you assume that the race is over? As you say, the one with the most points win and we don't know the final score yet.

Then tell us when you think the race is over. When PS3 sold enough? :) This is the thing most argue about: when is the "race" over? Nintendo already quit race. So for them race is already over. Usually Sony sells their consoles longer than others so it's somehow shifted.

Well, the race is over when there is no possibility of any change in the ranking. And Nintendo forfeiting doesn't mean the race is over.

Thanks for your opinion to this.

That's not an opinion. It's a fact that the one who finishes with the most units sold wins - just like the football team which finishes with the most points wins.

While I do agree that if the ps3 lasts another 10 years, and finally eclipses the wii, that it will have "sold" more, but I don't agree that it will have "won."  Winning a console war has to do more with profits than it does with units sold.  Selling Consoles are a business, and as a business it's important to make profits, and even though it is likely that in 5 years the ps3 will be done with the console race and NOT pass the wii, even if it does, the fact that it has yet to post a profit in the past 6 years without selling assets, proves that the ps3 came in last this gen.  Nintendo made a killing with the wii, every unit sold gave them a huge profit, and as of right now they sold by far the most software and hardware.  The 360 came in 2nd, and although the ps3 will likely pass the 360 soon, the fact remains that the 360 made more money with their console than the ps3, in fact, it's likely that even if the ps3 sells another 20-25 million units, it still will not have made as much of a profit as the 360.

Again, the console wars are about profit, not just selling the most amount of consoles.

Something...Something...Games...Something

J_Allard said:

I'm just saying, some people got tired of everyone mentioning Nintendo and the Wii turnaround so they have started saying the GCN -> Wii comeback doesn't really apply to this thread.

I don't think it does. The Wii was a completely new product. It was a comeback for Nintendo, not the Gamecube.

The OP could have been written clearer, but it's still obvious it was referring to the turnaround of a single console.

JakDaSnack said:

Again, the console wars are about profit, not just selling the most amount of consoles.

Gamecube beat PS2 last gen?