By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cliff Bleszinski on always-online: "Deal with it"

Or not.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network

And I prefer to live in a world where stupidity is appropriately punished. Looks like I win, Cliffy.

Deal with it.

And this is why I love Cliff Bleszinski. Highly intelligent and tells it how it is. He doesn't BS like many people do in an interview.

noname2200 said:
And I prefer to live in a world where stupidity is appropriately punished. Looks like I win, Cliffy.

Deal with it.

You sicken me. I would agree with you but you changed your EO:4 Landsknecht to Glass Joe so I must agree with Cliffy even though it sickens me (slightly less then you).

Former something....

Blacksaber said:
noname2200 said:

Deal with it.

You sicken me. I would agree with you but you changed your EO:4 Landsknecht to Glass Joe so I must agree with Cliffy even though it sickens me (slightly less then you).

Around the Network

Sometimes the speech restrictions placed upon employees are a good thing, it looks like.

Of course, Epic has a reputation for mouthy individuals even higher up, so it's not like he wouldn't be so frank if he were still at the company.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Cliffy always has the stupidest fucking opinions about everything.

"Always online" - Not buying it.

Deal with it.

Yeah, I won't deal with it.

Earlier today my internet went out when I was fighting a boss in MH on my Wii U (offline), if that was on an always online console I would have to do everything again. And why would I have to, when there is no reason to force me to be always online?

At some point someone like me who has dumped 1000s of hours into gaming over past 20+ years fell out of the "average user" simply because I have never had stable internet?

Diablo 2 was not a lesser game for not having always online and DIablo 3 (which I still have yet to be able to play) has not been better for it.

Sim City 4 was not less, and new "Sim City" is not better.

I really do not mind the OPTION, but to be demanded and told "who care that you spend a small fortune on our industry, you don't have reliable internet so we do not care" seems to be a bit jarring. Roughly 40% of people in the US are in a similar situation to me so I'm not some bizarre "cabin in the woods" 1% outlier.

This, to me, is what happens when people within an industry live in a bubble. They think their reality and their acquaintances reality is everyone's reality. They cannot conceive of a gamer who routinely losses internet due to their shoddy cable companies connection.

I was perfectly content in the "old days" whe I played games before having any sort of internet connection at all. I managed to enjoy the Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, N64 and PS2 before ever logging on. That old experience is still fine by me and it is clear that in these games always online is just another form of DRM coated in "experiencing enhancing PR BS".