By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will the Wii U fit games on the PS4, if the PS4 will have 7GB RAM available?

The Wii U also is supposed to have a disk that has half the capacity of the PS4's. I wonder how much of an impact that is.

Around the Network

I see three different possibilities:

1. They can't.
2. Games will use 7gb and will have to be HEAVILY downgraded to work on the Wii U.
3. Games will use only around 3gb and will be moderately downgraded to work on the Wii U.

richardhutnik said:
The Wii U also is supposed to have a disk that has half the capacity of the PS4's. I wonder how much of an impact that is.

Very little.

Miguel_Zorro said:

I'm legitimately interested in reading this.  I can't promise that I won't misunderstand it, but I pledge to not ignore it or quote an irrelevant portion.

When you say that the Wii U could run PS4 games, do you mean with similar performance?

Not likely with similar performance unless the PS4 game in question is a small scope title.   It's also going to vary depending on the game and game engine (how each utilizes the consoles).

However, I won't go into any details at this time, I can say that any title that is expressesly developed with the PS4 in mind first ported to the Wii U would require reduction to the displayed graphics and possibly other facets via means similar to how PC games are toned down to run accordingly on lower spec PC's.   It's still very much the same game just with reduced resolution, frame rate, on screen enemies, physics, shader operations, etc...

The rEVOLution is not being televised

syntax error... wii u wont get 3rd party games :P

games have high scalability so i dont think it is much of a problem.

Around the Network

It can't lol. Hell it can barely run current gen games, hence MGS5, GTA5 etc not coming out for the Wii-U. Forget scaling down... next gen 80% of the big profile games will run on the Unreal 4 engine, which Epic already said, wont even work on the Wii-u...

brendude13 said:
I see three different possibilities:

1. They can't.
2. Games will use 7gb and will have to be HEAVILY downgraded to work on the Wii U.
3. Games will use only around 3gb and will be moderately downgraded to work on the Wii U.

The Wii U will continue to get multiplat support as long as the last gen consoles do. Once thats over the umbilical willeth be snippeth! Big boy games will be developed when the the PS4 and 720 build up their marketshare.

Turkish said:
Michael-5 said:

Same was PS2 games were ported to the original X-Box. The original X-Box was about 4x as powerful as the PS2 (21 GFLOPS compared to 6.2), but GTA still got ported to the X-Box.

Still power isn't everything, Gamecube X-Box and PS2 all had their own games, and it will be much the same this gen. I bet the Japanese gamers will jump onto the easier to develop, Wii U, and sell to their niche market, with most JRPG's getting localized. PS4 and NextBox will mainly be fighting for America's/Europe "core" audience, while the Wii U will cater to the less addicted gamer, and a smaller group of core gamers.

I bet a very similar situation to the 7th gen will occur, except Nintendo will be better comparitivly then Sony in Japan, MS will probably do better comparitivly in Americas, and PS4 will do better compared to the competition in Europe.

You probable meant devs, and no they won't jump ship to WiiU, PS4 is also easy to develop for, I reckon it will get all of the nice games, even more so than the PS3, which was hard to develop for.

Sorry, devs, and no Wii U is easier to develop for. To make a game which pushes the PS4 simply taes more time, it's a more powerful system. To make a Wii U game, all they have to do is use the engines they already made to make PS3/360 JRPG's.

We're already seeing Wii U lead the Japanese Market, no major Japanese developed game has been announced, or even hinted for on the PS4/NextBox, but Wii U already has several Japanese games. X, SMT x Fire Emblem, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Dragon Quest X, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, etc.

Last gen, the PS3 sold less then half of what either the PS1 or PS2 sold in Japan, where the Wii sold 2-3x greater then the GCN/N64. Heck it sold about 75% as well as the SNES and 66% as well as the NES. Nintendo regained its hold on the home consoles in Japan, and I think it's because Japanese devs are smaller, and just don't have the resourses to make a high graphic exclusive.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
Turkish said:
Michael-5 said:

Same was PS2 games were ported to the original X-Box. The original X-Box was about 4x as powerful as the PS2 (21 GFLOPS compared to 6.2), but GTA still got ported to the X-Box.

Still power isn't everything, Gamecube X-Box and PS2 all had their own games, and it will be much the same this gen. I bet the Japanese gamers will jump onto the easier to develop, Wii U, and sell to their niche market, with most JRPG's getting localized. PS4 and NextBox will mainly be fighting for America's/Europe "core" audience, while the Wii U will cater to the less addicted gamer, and a smaller group of core gamers.

I bet a very similar situation to the 7th gen will occur, except Nintendo will be better comparitivly then Sony in Japan, MS will probably do better comparitivly in Americas, and PS4 will do better compared to the competition in Europe.

You probable meant devs, and no they won't jump ship to WiiU, PS4 is also easy to develop for, I reckon it will get all of the nice games, even more so than the PS3, which was hard to develop for.

Sorry, devs, and no Wii U is easier to develop for. To make a game which pushes the PS4 simply taes more time, it's a more powerful system. To make a Wii U game, all they have to do is use the engines they already made to make PS3/360 JRPG's.

We're already seeing Wii U lead the Japanese Market, no major Japanese developed game has been announced, or even hinted for on the PS4/NextBox, but Wii U already has several Japanese games. X, SMT x Fire Emblem, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Dragon Quest X, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, etc.

Last gen, the PS3 sold less then half of what either the PS1 or PS2 sold in Japan, where the Wii sold 2-3x greater then the GCN/N64. Heck it sold about 75% as well as the SNES and 66% as well as the NES. Nintendo regained its hold on the home consoles in Japan, and I think it's because Japanese devs are smaller, and just don't have the resourses to make a high graphic exclusive.

Then why didn't Japanese 3rd parties not use existing engines of PS2 and make their games for the Wii? Most of the support was for the harder to develop for PS3. Even if the Wii sold more, was easier to develop for, PS3 still had the better support. The situation won't change next gen, in fact PS4 will see more support due to the dev friendly architecture.

WiiU Japanese support has been pretty weak. DQX and MH3U are both ports. When its E3 and TGC you'll see how much support PS4 has.

Turkish said:
Michael-5 said:

Then why didn't Japanese 3rd parties not use existing engines of PS2 and make their games for the Wii? Most of the support was for the harder to develop for PS3. Even if the Wii sold more, was easier to develop for, PS3 still had the better support. The situation won't change next gen, in fact PS4 will see more support due to the dev friendly architecture.

WiiU Japanese support has been pretty weak. DQX and MH3U are both ports. When its E3 and TGC you'll see how much support PS4 has.

Because back then, Nintendo's reputation as a console manufacterer, were destroyed. Even then, Wii still managed to aquire a reasonable list of JRPG exclusives (Tales of Graces, Arc Rise Fantasia, Tales of Symphinia 2, Monster Hunter 3, Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest Swords, Rune Factory, Fragile Dreams, etc) even if some of the bigger ones were 1st party. Remember, a lot of Wii JRPG's never got localized. Next gen, Wii U will get more, and PS4 will get less, simple.

LOL, when it's E3/TGS, you'll realize that PS4 will be abandoned by the Japanese, much like the PSV was. Well realistically, not as extreme, but I wouldn't be surprised if FFXV turned out to be a Wii U exclusive.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results