By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will the Wii U fit games on the PS4, if the PS4 will have 7GB RAM available?

Mazty said:
richardhutnik said:
Mazty said:

Then explain Crytek and Epic games making the same call about graphics   -_-

Simply put, going from one environment where resources are plentiful, to one where they are very, very limited, is going to put developers off porting games over. 

Only think I can say is Crytek and Epic, unlike Quantic Dreams, make things actually get into the realm of games.  They do also make game engines, which likely impacts what they are saying also, and saying based on what developers say.  But I have, in my threads, been questioning whether or not the Wii U has enough memory to handle next generation's titles sufficiently, and what kind of games will be coming out.

Nice how your opinion is definitive.

Either way, the answer to what kind of games will be coming out are ones that look similar to 7th gen games and most likely very few ports from the PS4 - probably cross platform titles that are 7th -> 8th gen, but none that are made specifically for the 8th gen. In short, expect to to get games like how the Wii did - they'll be gimped massively and be few in number.

No way am I definitive now, when information isn't complete yet.  I can see how things might be, but the industry may decide to continue to develop as they do now with prettier graphics, so the Wii U could hold up.  But I do have concerns.  

Around the Network
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:

You think some random teens know better than industry experts?
High end graphics certainly improve immersion. As Quantic Dreams has shown, it allows the characters to be more believable. You will only get immersed so far with 2D/bad graphics, whereas photo-realism would allow limitless immersion. 

The PS2 gen called, they want their "gamers are all teens" cliche back. And industry experts make fools of themselves on a regular basis.

AS for Quantic Dreams, they make awful pseudo-movies that barely qualify as games at all.

Riiiiight so Crytek, Epic Games, Kojima Productions and Quantic Dreams are all wrong then and a market that buys Call of Duty by the spade load obviously knows what makes a game immersive.

Actually the PS2 was aimed at people in their 20's. This gen was aimed at teens. 

Either way trying to ignore some of the biggest game developers out there is nonsense, and back to the main point, the Wii U will most likely not get PS4 games due to it's limited technical specs. Several people consider the Wii U 7th gen, and therefore this will limit the games that are released for it. 

Crytek and Quantic Dreams are certainly wrong, their views on what gaming should be is toxic to the medium's very fabric.

And I never said the 6th gen gamers were all teenagers, I said that was when the cliche was from. (The Wii changed that)

Why? Because CoD, a shitty mass produced game is any better? Or Nintendo's idea of flogging a dead horse down to the bone?

I don't care what you think the cliche was from, reality is the PS3 and 360 are aimed at teenagers....Either way, read above. The Wii U has considerably limited resources compared to the PS4, ergo, it won't get many ports, and the ports it will get will be horribly watered down. 

What's with this COD strawman you keep throwing up? And Nintendo at least always keep gameplay central to the experience. By focussing on graphics and story over gameplay, Crytek and Quantic Dreams degrade gaming as a medium.

And the PS3/360 weren't the only consoles of the 7th gen; the Wii's middle aged audience ensured that the 7th gen skewed older than the 6th.

curl-6 said:
Mazty said:

Why? Because CoD, a shitty mass produced game is any better? Or Nintendo's idea of flogging a dead horse down to the bone?

I don't care what you think the cliche was from, reality is the PS3 and 360 are aimed at teenagers....Either way, read above. The Wii U has considerably limited resources compared to the PS4, ergo, it won't get many ports, and the ports it will get will be horribly watered down. 

What's with this COD strawman you keep throwing up? And Nintendo at least always keep gameplay central to the experience. By focussing on graphics and story over gameplay, Crytek and Quantic Dreams degrade gaming as a medium.

And the PS3/360 weren't the only consoles of the 7th gen; the Wii's middle aged audience ensured that the 7th gen skewed older than the 6th.

Because CoD is the best selling game...? Hardly a strawman to bring up the most successful game series of this generation...

"Keeping gameplay central to experience"...while ignoring anything and everything else? Graphics, storyline, innovative gameplay (waggling a stick doesn't count)...That's my thoughts on it anyway. At least Crytek and QD push boundries instead of relying on series fans to keep the alive. 

The Wii was aimed at a different market than the PS3 and 360 - it was not core orientated. Either way, back on topic, the Wii U in no way will keep pace with the PS4. If devs are already having concerns over it's CPU, well things will only go downhill from here on out. 

Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:

Because CoD is the best selling game...? Hardly a strawman to bring up the most successful game series of this generation...

"Keeping gameplay central to experience"...while ignoring anything and everything else? Graphics, storyline, innovative gameplay (waggling a stick doesn't count)...That's my thoughts on it anyway. At least Crytek and QD push boundries instead of relying on series fans to keep the alive.

Maybe immersion just isn't as important to gamers are developers desperately want it to be.

Gameplay is the core element of gaming as a medium, and Nintendo continue to produce great games on this premise, including some of the most innovative of the last generation. Crytek and QD push boundaries in the wrong direction, pushing gaming AWAY from what makes it unique and effective.

But you're right about one thing, this is off topic.

Wii U has sold about 4 million consoles so far.... With a good E3 they could have 8-10 million sold prior to PS4 being released in the west (it won't be this year I hear) which means 3rd party developers WILL port games for it, and I reckon they will look pretty good.... Time will tell.....
As for the nextbox being always online and having nil backward compatability or 2nd hand games? HA what
a stinking pile of turd! Throw in a RROD and be done with it!

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:

Maybe immersion just isn't as important to gamers are developers desperately want it to be.

Gameplay is the core element of gaming as a medium, and Nintendo continue to produce great games on this premise, including some of the most innovative of the last generation. Crytek and QD push boundaries in the wrong direction, pushing gaming AWAY from what makes it unique and effective.

I think it is, but it's just not widespread enough. If we look at something like Amnesia: I don't want to sleep anymore, one of the main reasons it has been successful is the immersion. 

I would argue the complete opposite but that's not what this thread is about. 

How would you react if the games on the Wii U had considerably worse graphics than PS4 games?

Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:

I think it is, but it's just not widespread enough. If we look at something like Amnesia: I don't want to sleep anymore, one of the main reasons it has been successful is the immersion. 

How would you react if the games on the Wii U had considerably worse graphics than PS4 games?

Considering the difference in RAM, I wouldn't be surprised. It wouldn't really bother me though; I enjoyed the Wii more than the 360 despite the graphical disparity.

curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:

Considering the difference in RAM, I wouldn't be surprised. It wouldn't really bother me though; I enjoyed the Wii more than the 360 despite the graphical disparity.

thats the key word though "me", i find it quite interesting how you bring up COD and say that gamers determine what is immersive, well judging by the sales of the PS360/PC version vs. the WIi one, they DO think graphics are immersive and you are just in the minority. What else could it be? If you claim that the Wii versions are not that different even though people have posts whole lists showing you that is simple false. Seems to me that people value content and visuals over "better" controls that you believe the WIi version has. If that were true why did the Wii versions sell so poorly in comparison? Hell the games were even cheaper. Cant blame ads, 360 had a monopoly on that, still didnt stop PS3/PC versions doing much better. Thats not just COD either, just about every multiplat core game does better on PS360. If you got a better reason why that is id like to hear it. 

OT this sounds like deja vu, no different than the Wii were that was alot of wishing on stars and we all know how that turned out. Maybe it wont be as bad this time.

oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:

thats the key word though "me", i find it quite interesting how you bring up COD and say that gamers determine what is immersive, well judging by the sales of the PS360/PC version vs. the WIi one, they DO think graphics are immersive and you are just in the minority. What else could it be? If you claim that the Wii versions are not that different even though people have posts whole lists showing you that is simple false. Seems to me that people value content and visuals over "better" controls that you believe the WIi version has. If that were true why did the Wii versions sell so poorly in comparison? Hell the games were even cheaper. Cant blame ads, 360 had a monopoly on that, still didnt stop PS3/PC versions doing much better. Thats not just COD either, just about every multiplat core game does better on PS360. If you got a better reason why that is id like to hear it. 

OT this sounds like deja vu, no different than the Wii were that was alot of wishing on stars and we all know how that turned out. Maybe it wont be as bad this time.

I didn't apply the immersion point to COD though. And if people really valued graphics that much, they wouldn't buy the 360/PS3 versions, they'd only buy it on PC. Hell, they'd buy Battlefield 3 and Crysis instead if it was that important to them.

And the lists don't prove me "false," they don't change  that the core  structure, guns, perks, story, etc are the same.

Th Wii missed out on the explosion of the series with MW1, thats why it sold so much less. Before that, COD on Wii outsold COD on PS3.