By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will the Wii U fit games on the PS4, if the PS4 will have 7GB RAM available?

Has the id tech 5 been confirmed for the Wii?

Around the Network
fillet said:
_crazy_man_ said:
fillet said:
RolStoppable said:
Skeeuk said:

i can guarantee you that WiiU will recieve poor ports that are nothing on its ps4720 counterparts

You can guarantee that? Most people think that the Wii U won't even get any ports in the first place.

I'm with you.

Although if any are attempted, we're going to see even worse results than with the original Wii, the disparity in terms of power is even higher now than with the Wii->PS3/360.

So apparently a 20-22x gap for the Wii -> PS3/360 is smaller than the 5-7x gap for the Wii U -> nextbox/PS4?

Ok then.

20-22x? Where did you get that figure from exactly?

From the Nextbox vs. Wii U vs. PS4 specs thread.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Ljink96 said:
I don't think Nintendo is worried about this. They've found numerous ways to outsmart the competition. It isn't much of how much RAM you have but what you do with that RAM. If your company is smart enough you might just try to make your game playable on all current gen consoles. It isn't like PS, hard core games sold well on Nintendo consoles in the first place. The Wii had a short cut yet prosperous life with its first party software alone. I don't think at all for a second that Nintendo doesn't need 3rd party support but they rarely depend on it.

Outsmart their competition, like they did with the Gamecube and N64?  The WIi had motion control and reached the causal market.  It was a second console for a lot of hardcore gamers also.

Nintendo was trying to bank on having a system that could also get third-party support, but do it in a way that stood out.  As of now, not being able to do third-party AAA releases is going to hurt long-term.  Nintendo maybe carves out its own niche, but the niche is pretty much just the second screen, which Microsoft and Sony do offer solutions for.

Nintendo will just give the games a mini mushroom.

curl-6 said:
D-Minaj225 said:
walsufnir said:
D-Minaj225 said:
curl-6 said:
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 & 3, Black Ops, and World at War ran on the Wii despite the Wii having 88MB of RAM to the PS3/360's 512MB.

i don't think call of duty was a good example modern warfare 3 on wii got poor reviews

We are not talking about quality of games but their portability to other systems with less power/resources.

oh in that case call of duty is still a bad example

They may not be beautiful, but the Wii COD games still function. That's the question here, how can you port despite RAM disparity. The answer is, by making sacrifices to things that don't comprise gameplay, like texture resolution and detail.

And frame rate...which does affect gameplay especially for a twitch shooter like COD.

Around the Network

How many games will take advantage of the 7 gigabytes of ram when most of the launch titles used 4 gb (less because of the OS)
All so, this is only a rumor. Maybe only 4 Gb is usable. maybe the wii u's gpu or cpu or something else is more powerful than whatever the ps4 has.

richardhutnik said:
el_gallo said:
The games will fit on Wii U because a developer would have to be insane and want to go bankrupt to ignore the rest of the market just to focus on the PS4 which at the time of this thread has a marketshare of ZERO.

Let's think what a smart developer might do.

They would say to themselves.....

Self... I want to ignore 1.2 billion mobile devices.
I want to ignore 150 million potential sales to PS360 owners.
I want to ignore then 4-5 million Wii U owners by next Christmas.
I want to ignore major chunks of the PC market, say any PC with less than 12 gigs of RAM.
I want to spend $150 million or so dollars developing the game and graphics for it that will fill 7 gigs of RAM and then....

somehow make a profit and live to code another day............by only selling to PS4 owners at $60 a pop.

Let's get past specs and get to dollars. Look at the highest grossing games of all time. The list is summed up as Nintendo, Call of Duty, SIM's and World of Warcraft.

Smart developers find a way to put their games everywhere. They treat it like a brand rather than just a game. People keep noting some high end game with specs and goodie for the ten people that actually play it and complete it but the publishers that stay alive are those who make good enough games and grab those dollars from everyone and from everywhere.

So, from a spec standpoint, all that was needed is what the WIi U did, and the developers who demanded as much RAM as the PS4 had, were full of it?

This line of reason ends up being: We don't need to go past this current generation, just have the Wii U sit on the high end and code to it, because extra RAM is pointless.

You say from a spec standpoint....most people don't think about specs at all. If you ask them the specs of their iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S3 or most other gadgets they can't even tell you.

Also there are these little things called return on investment and the point of diminishing returns. Can having more RAM make it possible for the PS4 to have better games than any other console, sure. Does that mean the publisher can afford to write for it and still get a return at $60 a pop per game? Probably not at first if at all.

Are DVD's better than Blue-Rays? Yes. If the DVD is $5 per movie and the Blue-Ray is $50 per movie will most enough people buy the Blue-Ray, probably not. There is a line in there where people will pay for the improvement but only to a point.

People do not write games to please spec-whores. They write them to make a return on their investment. They want to invest $50 million and make $400 million.

You don't get that aiming exclusively for a console that might have 3 million in sales by the end of next Christmas.

Is the WiiU the best console? No. Is it a good enough console? Absolutely.

fillet said:
curl-6 said:
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 & 3, Black Ops, and World at War ran on the Wii despite the Wii having 88MB of RAM to the PS3/360's 512MB.

That's wrong, the PS3 had 256MB available total and about 200MB available for games.

Porting from 200MB to 88MB is nothing compared to going from 7GB to 1GB.

Games using 5GB (if they ever come out and deducting about 2GB for video use) will have to have integral features removed and watered down beyond belief and likely not even recognizable from the original.

You have to think that games using 200MB aren't going to be doing anything amazing on the memory level Vs massive open world type games that 5GB would be needed for, those games wouldn't even be possible in any context, watered down or not on a system with 1GB of RAM.

No, the PS3 had 512MB of RAM, it was just split into two 256MB pools, (video and system) with initially 120MB set aside for the OS, which was later shrunk to 50MB.

And don't underestimate thow much memory can be saved by trimming draw distance and texture resolution.

curl-6 said:
fillet said:
curl-6 said:

That's wrong, the PS3 had 256MB available total and about 200MB available for games.

Porting from 200MB to 88MB is nothing compared to going from 7GB to 1GB.

Games using 5GB (if they ever come out and deducting about 2GB for video use) will have to have integral features removed and watered down beyond belief and likely not even recognizable from the original.

You have to think that games using 200MB aren't going to be doing anything amazing on the memory level Vs massive open world type games that 5GB would be needed for, those games wouldn't even be possible in any context, watered down or not on a system with 1GB of RAM.

No, the PS3 had 512MB of RAM, it was just split into two 256MB pools, (video and system) with initially 120MB set aside for the OS, which was later shrunk to 50MB.

And don't underestimate thow much memory can be saved by trimming draw distance and texture resolution.

Those pools are separate though with the memory used for the OS coming from the system RAM pool.

So point stands that PS3 has circa 200MB to play with for system RAM against the Wii's 88MB.

That's the reason for Bethesday having so many problems with the PS3 because they ported from the Xbox/PC

EricFabian said:
what I don't understand is that some people insist that the WiiU has 1GB- of memory for games, when the right is 1GB+

Thats not enogh quite frankly, which is why third party made demands of the real next gen consoles.