By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Square Enix face a genuine risk of closure?

Sony should buy them and shake things up in there. Sony could do with expanding there Japan gaming team and this would me massive. Plus SE own alot of IP's. they could probably cut the staff in half and actually focus the teams down to be productive with there games.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure some other publishers would love to buy their Eidos part.. with games like sleepings dogs, deus ex, tomb raider, hitman, thief, just cause.. just because SE has unrealistic expectations doesn't mean other publishers will

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
I'm pretty sure some other publishers would love to buy their Eidos part.. with games like sleepings dogs, deus ex, tomb raider, hitman, thief, just cause.. just because SE has unrealistic expectations doesn't mean other publishers will

Crazy how a few years ago I felt Eidos was a bad purchase.  Boy how times have changed (Eidos got their shit together).  To OP, I'm not too sure how much money Square has saved up.  Wada did make the company money in the short term during the PS2/DS era.  If Square doesn't have a lot of money saved, they're royally screwed and I don't think Sony's going to bail them out this time.

Nope, don't think they'll go bankrupt or close or anything... wall of text (With spacing though!) incoming:

This is all my opinion by the way, feel free to disagree...

What they need to do, is start work on a new game, maybe a new game series, put time into actually advertising it and show that they're actually making progress every so often, like developer diaries and gameplay trailers... y'know, let the people know what they're doing, get the hype going... for example, since we saw the Final Fantasy X HD videos, and screenshot comparisons of how much better they looked, I think they were definitely on the right track there, they should show more off, and something for X-2 too!

Basically, to make money from a game, you need hype... you need to get people excited, show them things that will interest them, talk about the game etc. don't just leave it in the dark behind closed doors, like with vs. XIII.

People may disagree with me here too, but do you know what else can bring more sales to a game? Being exclusive. Release it on one console, and there will be people buying it, basically just to say "ner ner we have it and you don't!", but also because, well... yeah, being exclusive has always brought more hype to a game, well for the majority of games anyway, can't think of anything at the mo but I'm sure there's games where this hasn't worked, again though, they'd also need to show it off, talk about it, release media such as trailers or screenshots or anything.

I know Final Fantasy XIII didn't turn out as well as a lot of people thought, I mean, I thought it was great to be honest, not the best, but definitely a great game, but anyway, yeah, it didn't turn out too well, and I think that once the announcement came of it releasing on the 360 too, it killed a lot of hype that people had, and just for that reason, people started to hate the game regardless, without even playing it! I reckon if it was PS3 exclusive, no matter how good or bad people thought it was, there would be more hype for it, and the sales would definitely improve, I mean, it's not like it sold bad or anything, a combined total of almost 7m is really good, and XIII-2 sold over 3m copies, which uses over half of the resources as the first, so would have been very cheap to make, and bring them a nice profit.

Maybe I'm just a fanboy of this game, but I really think Final Fantasy X HD will pull off some impressive numbers, for a HD remake anyway, although it's taking more time than an average "HD" remake where they just upscale, but the original sold just over 8m, whereas X-2 sold 5.3m, so obviously a combined total of 13.3m... ofcourse, it's not going to pull numbers anywhere near that, or half of that, but I'd wager it'll sell around 3-4m definitely, especially if they show off more comparisons too, like if they actually have a video comparison in both gameplay, ingame cutscenes, and cgi cutscenes, to show how much effort they've put into it, and how much better it'll look than the original, get the hype going again, maybe with preorder incentives... an art book, soundtrack maybe?

Either way, as long as they listen to fans, and use their time and resources wisely, they'll be able to gain fan loyalty again, and people will see them as a great developer of games.

Right, wall of text over, it wasn't as long as I thought actually, lol.

I read somewhere that Sony owns stock but I'm not sure.

Around the Network
gooch_destroyer said:

They do, around 8% I believe

No one will miss them, had they just released games the fans wanted instead of FF13-2 and now LR, they would've sold more games. Imagine Versus and KH3 sales.

gooch_destroyer said:

IIRC Sony had a 15% share of Squaresoft, this was reduced to 7% when they merged with Enix (They could've owned 30% and had their stock reduced to 15%, but its one or the other).

I certainly hope Sony steps up and takes over Square, they would be natural suitors after Square's total failure at multiplatform gaming. They would be much safer than if they were under the control of EA or Activision say >.>

TeddostheFireKing said:
gooch_destroyer said:

IIRC Sony had a 15% share of Squaresoft, this was reduced to 7% when they merged with Enix (They could've owned 30% and had their stock reduced to 15%, but its one or the other).

I certainly hope Sony steps up and takes over Square, they would be natural suitors after Square's total failure at multiplatform gaming. They would be much safer than if they were under the control of EA or Activision say >.>

Yeah,I know. maybe if Sony had the money they could fund a FF7 remake or something.

They will either get bought by another company or merge with another company.
But yeah, EA and Square-Enix going away would be a nice wake up to the industry.

It's just that simple.