By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Square Enix face a genuine risk of closure?

I'm pretty sure some other publishers would love to buy their Eidos part.. with games like sleepings dogs, deus ex, tomb raider, hitman, thief, just cause.. just because SE has unrealistic expectations doesn't mean other publishers will

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
I'm pretty sure some other publishers would love to buy their Eidos part.. with games like sleepings dogs, deus ex, tomb raider, hitman, thief, just cause.. just because SE has unrealistic expectations doesn't mean other publishers will

Crazy how a few years ago I felt Eidos was a bad purchase.  Boy how times have changed (Eidos got their shit together).  To OP, I'm not too sure how much money Square has saved up.  Wada did make the company money in the short term during the PS2/DS era.  If Square doesn't have a lot of money saved, they're royally screwed and I don't think Sony's going to bail them out this time.

I read somewhere that Sony owns stock but I'm not sure.

gooch_destroyer said:

They do, around 8% I believe

No one will miss them, had they just released games the fans wanted instead of FF13-2 and now LR, they would've sold more games. Imagine Versus and KH3 sales.

Around the Network
gooch_destroyer said:

IIRC Sony had a 15% share of Squaresoft, this was reduced to 7% when they merged with Enix (They could've owned 30% and had their stock reduced to 15%, but its one or the other).

I certainly hope Sony steps up and takes over Square, they would be natural suitors after Square's total failure at multiplatform gaming. They would be much safer than if they were under the control of EA or Activision say >.>

TeddostheFireKing said:
gooch_destroyer said:

IIRC Sony had a 15% share of Squaresoft, this was reduced to 7% when they merged with Enix (They could've owned 30% and had their stock reduced to 15%, but its one or the other).

I certainly hope Sony steps up and takes over Square, they would be natural suitors after Square's total failure at multiplatform gaming. They would be much safer than if they were under the control of EA or Activision say >.>

Yeah,I know. maybe if Sony had the money they could fund a FF7 remake or something.

They will either get bought by another company or merge with another company.
But yeah, EA and Square-Enix going away would be a nice wake up to the industry.

It's just that simple.

Sony really doesn't have the money to buy them unless they have some other buildings they can sell.

They only lost money last year. They made money previous years before it.

They can't continue this downward trend though. But they'll get bought out or merge with someone again, if they don't turn it around.