By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Square Enix face a genuine risk of closure?

It's hard to believe, and would make huge gaming news that would be remembered through history, but at the rate that they appear to be missing out on projected profits and pouring $millions into development costs for unreleased games... is there actually a chance that we could eventually see the end of this company if they're to continue in this way for the next few years?

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network

i dont think so, i think the possibility is that they go mobile. they say their mobile games are doing really well. so i think if they had to they would stay alive on mobile games

Nah. All they need to do is make everything multiplatform, learn from western devs, and stop spending 8 years to develop a game.

No, closure is not an imminent risk at any rate. If anything, I think they might be swallowed by another studio, it's all heading towards two-three massive gaming houses on a global scale, it seems.

They always have that trump card. They'll just put all effort into a FF7 HD and then subsequent FF titles I think.

Around the Network

i think so. it's not the 100M loss they just took, it's the 6 years of not learning from their mistakes.

All their console talent is either gone, or held up by FFXIV. (Maybe VsXIII too)

Handheld side seems to be doing decently? though. I swear we're going to see a lot of people leaving SE after FFXIV is re-released.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Let's see how they manage to do next gen. It seems like every gen some company gets the boot. I hope not though. They have a number of titles I have vested interest in, especially the Legacy of Kain series. I would like to see that series start through the rumored reboot and at least finish, unlike the previous series.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

I think they have more of a chance getting bought out by another company (1st or 3rd party)

Sony should buy them and shake things up in there. Sony could do with expanding there Japan gaming team and this would me massive. Plus SE own alot of IP's. they could probably cut the staff in half and actually focus the teams down to be productive with there games.