By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone developer 'PS4 has no performance bottlenecks'

walsufnir said:
SENTIENT6 said:
kowenicki said:
SENTIENT6 said:
kowenicki said:
SENTIENT6 said:
Kynes said:

That's the stupidest thing a developer could say, it's clearly a PR catchphrase that parrots will repeat. Every system has bottlenecks, wider or narrower, but you always find components that limit you. You can have more than one bottleneck, and they can be different bottlenecks depending of the engine and game. Sometimes it can be the memory subsystem, sometimes the cpu, sometimes the gpu. You can even have bottlenecks inside the gpu, in the shading power, TMUs, tessellation units...

Here come the experts who know more then the experts lmao. Maybe For the game they are making they have not hit any bottlenecks. I love how everyone on a forum is a developer or financial expert.

Some people on this forum perhaps are. Thats impossible?

But in any case, you don't need to be an expert to have an opinion or a level of knowledge.

Yeah maybe 1 or 2, but everyone seems to think they are which is a joke. When you are discussing technial topics and finances, yes you do need a certain level of knowledge to be able to accurately discuss said topic. And no it is impossible for anyone here to refute or know what bottllneck sguerilla has or has not encountered on Ps4.

Except that its not what he said.  He says the PS4 has no bottlenecks.  That's impossible. 

I think he's speaking in general terms, read between the lines people please.

What? At first you say ppl don't know what they are talking about, then you say they meant their code, now he speaks "in general terms"? Self-modifying text for you? They talk definitely and explicitely about PS4 and it's, sorry, bullshit. Nothing more, nothing less. PR from a first party studio (like PS2 is a nurbs-console, PS2 is able to launch military rockets, PS3 having performance like a supercomputer...).

Don't forget PS2 allegedly having "Toy Story" level graphics. ;)

Around the Network
Somini said:
kowenicki said:
SENTIENT6 said:
kowenicki said:
SENTIENT6 said:
Kynes said:

That's the stupidest thing a developer could say, it's clearly a PR catchphrase that parrots will repeat. Every system has bottlenecks, wider or narrower, but you always find components that limit you. You can have more than one bottleneck, and they can be different bottlenecks depending of the engine and game. Sometimes it can be the memory subsystem, sometimes the cpu, sometimes the gpu. You can even have bottlenecks inside the gpu, in the shading power, TMUs, tessellation units...

Here come the experts who know more then the experts lmao. Maybe For the game they are making they have not hit any bottlenecks. I love how everyone on a forum is a developer or financial expert.

But in any case, you don't need to be an expert to have an opinion or a level of knowledge.

Yeah maybe 1 or 2, but everyone seems to think they are which is a joke. When you are discussing technial topics and finances, yes you do need a certain level of knowledge to be able to accurately discuss said topic. And no it is impossible for anyone here to refute or know what bottllneck sguerilla has or has not encountered on Ps4.

Except that its not what he said.  He says the PS4 has no bottlenecks.  That's impossible. 

Still we're intelligent people here and we CAN put a comment like this in perspective, he most probably meant that the system has less bottlenecks compared to the PS3.

1. Less bottlenecks than PS3 is no accomplishment

2. When he wanted to say that, why didn't he? He said exactly what he wanted to say, that's it. There is no reading between lines. "The PlayStation 4 has been so carefully designed that developers won't find a performance bottleneck".

He even challenges "try to find the bottleneck."

curl-6 said:
walsufnir said:
SENTIENT6 said:
kowenicki said:
SENTIENT6 said:
kowenicki said:
SENTIENT6 said:
Kynes said:

I think he's speaking in general terms, read between the lines people please.

What? At first you say ppl don't know what they are talking about, then you say they meant their code, now he speaks "in general terms"? Self-modifying text for you? They talk definitely and explicitely about PS4 and it's, sorry, bullshit. Nothing more, nothing less. PR from a first party studio (like PS2 is a nurbs-console, PS2 is able to launch military rockets, PS3 having performance like a supercomputer...).

Don't forget PS2 allegedly having "Toy Story" level graphics. ;)

How could I miss that?! :)

Ofcourse it has bottlenecks. But it all depends on the context. For the vision that they have for the game yes there would be no bottlenecks. They are aiming for a great looking game running at 1080p and 30fps. If they can do that with no issues then that is awesome.

If they were aiming for a higher resolution with PC like high end features then they would run into bottlenecks right away. Fortunately 1080p is the high def standard for TV's so they are in a great position.

Meh its all here say at this point, im more worried about my beer bottle neck more than this.

Around the Network

I guess the PS4 will cure cancer.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:

No need, the PS3 already did that. Where have you been sleeping?

DirtyP2002 said:

It will most probably also compute np-hard problems in p-time. I mean, it is an apu combined with gddr5-ram, 8 gigabytes of it.

walsufnir said:
SENTIENT6 said:
walsufnir said:

It's obviosu what he means.....but people will twist it like he's saying Ps4 is a nasa super computer, carry on.

No it's clear what he said. And even a nasa super computer has bottlenecks. This is no twist, this is reading what he said. Intentionally said.

You think a developer with years  of experience doesn't know this? it's obvious what he was implying, amazing how literal people take things.

Kynes said:

ave you ever developed at least a hello world? You can kill the fastest CPU with a simple infinite loop, there are always bottlenecks.

This not a bottleneck... this is use 100% of the CPU.