By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone developer 'PS4 has no performance bottlenecks'

Go to bed ethomaz, you're being logical.

Let's imagine the PS4 is actually a family of three kids and a mom. Each kid can eat a max amount of food per minute. It's a bottleneck if the mom is producing dinner at her max rate yet the kids can't all eat at their max rate. If the mom produces food at three times the rate the kids can eat, then the PS4 has no bottlenecks.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Talal said:
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
lol I read the comments here now...

The people are confusing bottleneck with max performance of a system.

Every system has a peak performance even if is don't have a bottleneck... the system can be balanced to have max performance for all component at the same time without generate any bottleneck.

If a component reach 100% (max performance) then there is no bottleneck holding it... the bottleneck happen when a component don't permit another component to reach 100%.

Excellent, thats great news.  You are saying that there is no bottleneck, the sytem is perfecly balanced in every single detail. So the sytem will be able to be fully utilised quite easily and very early then, with zero problems and with zero compromises.

I look forward to revisiting this thread within a matter of months.

Why do you have to be like that? He's just explaining what the article said.

Like what?  I am saying thats great that it is so perfectly and amazingly balanced at such a great price.  One wonders why it didnt already exist?  My second point is that this thread will serve as a great reference point as to if this is correct or not.

Okay great but direct that to the Killzone devs not Ethamoz. Also, like I mentioned I don't know much about these things, but obviously there's always going to be some bias from the devs. I believe that it indeed is a well balanced console but I doubt that it is as perfect as these devs are implying.

Th3PANO said:
thats why it runs at 30 fps....lol

this should end the thread.

Seriously if there are zero bottlenecks, then why is it only 30FPS?

Any developer saying there are no bottlenecks is not pushing itself.  They can always increase FPS, better lighting, physics, more enemies, ect.

irstupid said:
Th3PANO said:

Any developer saying there are no bottlenecks is not pushing itself.  They can always increase FPS, better lighting, physics, more enemies, ect.

30FPS doesn't mean the system has bottlenecks. It could very well be a financial decision to make the game less expensive.

Dr.Grass said:
I think some people here are confusing 'bottleneck' with 'limitation'.

And the PS4 will have both.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
Somini said:
irstupid said:
Th3PANO said:

30FPS doesn't mean the system has bottlenecks. It could very well be a financial decision to make the game less expensive.

You don't have to do anything to increase the number of engine ticks of a game, it's one line of code.

kowenicki said:
Somini said:
irstupid said:
Th3PANO said:

what!?

A 1st party, showcase, launch title is under financial constraints!?!?  lol

What does first party has to do with burning money!? Do you want them to spend 100 million on it, when the game probably won't sell more than 4 million tops. You're not making any sense!

Talal said:
kowenicki said:
Talal said:
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:

Every system has a peak performance even if is don't have a bottleneck... the system can be balanced to have max performance for all component at the same time without generate any bottleneck.

If a component reach 100% (max performance) then there is no bottleneck holding it... the bottleneck happen when a component don't permit another component to reach 100%.

Excellent, thats great news.  You are saying that there is no bottleneck, the sytem is perfecly balanced in every single detail. So the sytem will be able to be fully utilised quite easily and very early then, with zero problems and with zero compromises.

Like what?  I am saying thats great that it is so perfectly and amazingly balanced at such a great price.  One wonders why it didnt already exist?  My second point is that this thread will serve as a great reference point as to if this is correct or not.

Okay great but direct that to the Killzone devs not Ethamoz. Also, like I mentioned I don't know much about these things, but obviously there's always going to be some bias from the devs. I believe that it indeed is a well balanced console but I doubt that it is as perfect as these devs are implying.

They are first party devs so it should surprise nobody. Sony did this before and they are doing it again :) No problem with this, it's marketing. You don't have to be honest with marketing.

kowenicki said:
Talal said:
kowenicki said:
Talal said:
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:

Then we agree... I think you picked on the wrong persons post.  The person you need to talk to is further up the thread.

I guess so, but I wouldn't blame him for believing what the devs that are working on it are saying. 

Talal said:
kowenicki said:
Talal said:
kowenicki said:
Talal said:
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:

Then we agree... I think you picked on the wrong persons post.  The person you need to talk to is further up the thread.

I guess so, but I wouldn't blame him for believing what the devs that are working on it are saying. 

Believing and defending is quite different. Still I love ethomaz' passionate way of arguing ;)