By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone developer 'PS4 has no performance bottlenecks'

LivingMetal said:
J_Allard said:
LivingMetal said:

According to the press at the time, yes.  According to Sony, no.  Sony themselves never claimed this. 

Actually Sony PR said you could achieve graphics comparable to movie quality 3D graphics. The press said Toy Story, but seeing how that is a 3D animation movie that was around at the time, it's no different than what Sony themselves said.

You know for a fact that the Sony haters have been using this erroneous "Toy Story graphics" claim as an excuse to claim that Sony lied about the PS2 to the public.  This all came after the media (not Sony) made such claim, and the end result of PS2 games visually did not measure up to Toy Story graphics.  Sony never made the claim that the in-game graphics will be of Toy Story quality.  NEVER.  But haters are going to hate by taking things out of context or not painting the entire story (which is what you attempted to do) to lead to a false assumption.  Besides, it was Microsoft who claimed that the original Xbox was capable of Toy Story graphics which its in-game results did not measure up to as well.  Yet, the Sony haters give Microsoft a pass while sticking to erroneous claims of Sony.  Maybe we shouldn't believe anything Microsoft says because of Toy Story graphics.  Tru story, bro.

Well again, Sony did say it. Sony said the PS2 could produce images that are as good as movie-quality computer animated graphics. aka Toy Story. Hell that's probably where the media came up with Toy Story.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

the central London traffic system has fewer bottle necks than the PS3 had.

Yeah, the PS3 was a nightmare architecturally, and it's good that Sony faced up to this and took steps to alleviate the problem with PS4.

VGKing said:
walsufnir said:
VGKing said:
walsufnir said:
Killzone devs saying PS4 has no bottlenecks? Wow, surprising, first party-devs praising the system :) And of course wrong, every system has bottlenecks, it's just a computer and they all have bottlenecks.

Not just 1st party, all developers are praising the console, even indies. Not 1 negative thing has been said about the console.

I think the console did have a bottleneck and that was the 4GB of GDDR5. Eventually it was going to be an issue which is why they upgraded to 8GB.

It doesn't matter what you think, it of course has bottlenecks, like every other computer. Again, I repeat it just for you again, this doesn't have to be bad but it's the way it is. Like it or not.

NO, IT DOESN'T. Are you calling Guerilla Games liars?

A bottleneck is something that limits something else such as a low amount of RAM limiting the kind of graphics than can be displayed or a weak CPU that limits frame-rate.

The PS4 uses an APU design, everything works together. The GPU/CPU/RAM all play nice with each other. None of these components are too powerful or too weak. It is a balanced system designed to be easy to work with. NO BOTTLENECKS. NOT 1 LIMITNG FACTOR.

Could the PS4 be more powerful? Of course. But power isn't what is being addressed here, efficiency is.

Yeah, that's not possible. No system can ever achieve 100% efficiency with 100% of its parts 100% of the time. There will always be waste.

It's not that GG are liars per se, it's just that this is PR talk, not literal.

Somini said:

But with the PS4, Sony has - allegedly - been able to ensure these inefficiencies don't exist.

Van Der Leeuw continued: "We've got the right amount of memory, video card; everything's balanced out. It was a very conscious effort to make sure that – with the speed of the memory, the amount of compute units, the speed of the hard drive – there would not be any bottlenecks.

Matches my claim perfectly:

Slimebeast said:
The PS4 is perfectly balanced in its hardware specs. I am so happy. For the sake of great looking multiplatforms let's hope that Microsoft didn't drop the ball with their choices.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5150356

I think he means on RAM issues. The PS3 only had 256 shared DDR3 Ram, but the PS4 has 8GB of GDDR5 memory. The GPU cand CPU are the only bottlenecks that could hurt the PS4..... in 2018

Around the Network

Talk is great but action is better. I guess we will have to actually see if such claims are accurate when GG bring out their game. So far from the rumored PS4 diagram there doesn't appear to be anything special in the design that shows that GG will be able to get 100% performance from the GPU, CPU and other subsystems but then again the console isn't fully revealed so we do not know the final design.

ethomaz said:
Bottleneck is when a component hold the performance of others components...

Said that the PS4 seems a balanced machine, so I agree with developer... the CPU, GPU, memory, bandwidth, etc... all the part fits one with another to avoid all the possible bottlenecks in a system.

You won't read developers saying the CPU is slows and holding the GPU... or if there are more RAM I can make better choices... etc.

The system is balanced to extract close of 100% of the all components.

Lol, it only took 4 pages for someone to come along and realize what he was actually saying.  Of course, I'm sure some will still come along and not understand what he meant and just act like he's an idiot and/or downplay the PS4.

guys, let's look past the obvious PR bullshit and see this as a good news, if you think kz4 looks good now (I do, I won't ever play it but it looks good, nobody can doubt that) and they haven't run into bottlenecks yet, then it can only mean good things in the future for the people that care about console graphics right? It's very good news if you read past the lines lol.

I will definitely tip my hat to Sony and their developers if they are actually able to get 100% from the CPU, GPU and the various sub systems on the console. I do not remember this actually ever happening but the proof will be in the games. By the time the PS4 comes out with it launch games, this statement will be forgotten anyway.

J_Allard said:
LivingMetal said:
J_Allard said:
LivingMetal said:

According to the press at the time, yes.  According to Sony, no.  Sony themselves never claimed this. 

Actually Sony PR said you could achieve graphics comparable to movie quality 3D graphics. The press said Toy Story, but seeing how that is a 3D animation movie that was around at the time, it's no different than what Sony themselves said.

You know for a fact that the Sony haters have been using this erroneous "Toy Story graphics" claim as an excuse to claim that Sony lied about the PS2 to the public.  This all came after the media (not Sony) made such claim, and the end result of PS2 games visually did not measure up to Toy Story graphics.  Sony never made the claim that the in-game graphics will be of Toy Story quality.  NEVER.  But haters are going to hate by taking things out of context or not painting the entire story (which is what you attempted to do) to lead to a false assumption.  Besides, it was Microsoft who claimed that the original Xbox was capable of Toy Story graphics which its in-game results did not measure up to as well.  Yet, the Sony haters give Microsoft a pass while sticking to erroneous claims of Sony.  Maybe we shouldn't believe anything Microsoft says because of Toy Story graphics.  Tru story, bro.

Well again, Sony did say it. Sony said the PS2 could produce images that are as good as movie-quality computer animated graphics. aka Toy Story. Hell that's probably where the media came up with Toy Story.

Context is the key to clarification, and I'm holding that key.