By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone developer 'PS4 has no performance bottlenecks'

ratchet426 said:
OMFG people, does anyone understand the term 'bottleneck"? Here's a hint: it is NOT synonymous with "no limits"

A bottleneck, in the context of a computer, console, etc. is a specific component (or components) of the design that are significantly less powerful than the other components and thus represents a 'bottleneck' to the overall performance of the system as a whole. For example the PS3's split 256Mb/256Mb RAM architecture was a bottleneck because it severely limited what the other components of the system (Cell, etc) were capable of doing had that bottleneck not existed.

When the KZ4 dev says they aren't seeing a bottleneck in the PS4 he doesn't mean that the system is all powerful and can never be over-taxed to the point of slowing down. What he meant was that all of the components of the system are well-balanced so there isn't one aspect of the design that is a limiting factor for the others.

And what I'm saying is, unless you are managing to be maxing out one component or another, you can't determine if or where the bottleneck is.

So unless Gureilla games is maxing out the PS4 already, then their comment means jack shit, cause they dont' know.

If I'm making a product and I have 3 production lines.  Each line A, B, and C can produce 10,000+ parts per day.   I only produce 5,000 a day.  I have no idea what the bottleneck is because I have never maxed out the thing. There is no bottleneck for me, but doesn't mean there isn't one if production increased.

For all I know 

A:  15,000

B: 25,000

C: 20,000

Or maybe they are all exactly 15,000 and htere is indeed no bottlenck.  But until I max one of them out I have no idea what bottleneck there is.  Guerilla games is just full of baseless PR bullshit right now.  Unless you want me to beleive they are already maxing out the PS4 with Killzone 4.

Around the Network
ratchet426 said:
OMFG people, does anyone understand the term 'bottleneck"? Here's a hint: it is NOT synonymous with "no limits"

A bottleneck, in the context of a computer, console, etc. is a specific component (or components) of the design that are significantly less powerful than the other components and thus represents a 'bottleneck' to the overall performance of the system as a whole. For example the PS3's split 256Mb/256Mb RAM architecture was a bottleneck because it severely limited what the other components of the system (Cell, etc) were capable of doing had that bottleneck not existed.

When the KZ4 dev says they aren't seeing a bottleneck in the PS4 he doesn't mean that the system is all powerful and can never be over-taxed to the point of slowing down. What he meant was that all of the components of the system are well-balanced so there isn't one aspect of the design that is a limiting factor for the others.

Best comments in the thread.

One day I will learn English better to put the things in a way that everybody understand .

Why does Killzone Shadow Fall looks on par with Crysis from 2007 then ?

FrancisNobleman said:

Show me any game on PC that really looks better than Crysis from 2007

In some aspects Killzone looks better but not that better... they are close... in fact Crysis still is one of the most advanced games in some aspects.

There's always bottlenecks. They may not hit them in this game, but they likely will in the future. Otherwise we will never have another console after the PS4!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
FrancisNobleman said:

I'd argue that ShadowFall looks better.

Shadow Fall looking better than Crysis 3 confirmed by GCI

Conegamer said:
There's always bottlenecks. They may not hit them in this game, but they likely will in the future. Otherwise we will never have another console after the PS4!

What you are saying is "limitation" not "bottleneck".

PS4 will reach a limit for sure with or without bottleneck.

ethomaz said:
Conegamer said:

Hmm, I guess so. But I really, really doubt all components are perfectly balanced somehow. Could be wrong, but we shall see. Looking at the specs, you could push the RAM more than the CPU, for example.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
ethomaz said:
Conegamer said:

Hmm, I guess so. But I really, really doubt all components are perfectly balanced somehow. Could be wrong, but we shall see. Looking at the specs, you could push the RAM more than the CPU, for example.

Something you can't tell until you max out the components.

So either Killzone 4 maxing out PS4 confirmed 

or

Guerilla games full of BS confirmed.

Are people confusing power limitations with bottlenecks? Maybe they are referring to the system being so balanced utilizing the power of one component isn't held back by the limitation of another. That is a bottleneck is it not?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(