By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Farewell Hannibal (TV Series)

AbbathTheGrim said:
MoHasanie said:
There's no point in watching it cause I'm guessing it will be cancelled soon.

How so? Ratings? Still to early to tell because it just aired one episode, it reached 4.36 million viewers though. We need to wait and see how it keeps those ratings, if it can. Unless NBC has a very strict policy for ratings.

Or maybe because you think it is crap, somehow by deduction? I won't put my hands on fire for this series yet but I am seeing crappier series than what I saw from hannibal still holding up for various seasons.

Grimm, also on NBC, is ending it's second season and it only averaged about 5 million viewers for most of the episodes. Grimm is pretty good, so I hope they keep it going.

OP: I watched the first episode and I thought it was good.  Could be a lot better, but I was satisfied.  Kind of weird, but I like weird shows.

Around the Network
nnodley said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
MoHasanie said:

How so? Ratings? Still to early to tell because it just aired one episode, it reached 4.36 million viewers though. We need to wait and see how it keeps those ratings, if it can. Unless NBC has a very strict policy for ratings.

Or maybe because you think it is crap, somehow by deduction? I won't put my hands on fire for this series yet but I am seeing crappier series than what I saw from hannibal still holding up for various seasons.

Grimm, also on NBC, is ending it's second season and it only averaged about 5 million viewers for most of the episodes. Grimm is pretty good, so I hope they keep it going.

OP: I watched the first episode and I thought it was good.  Could be a lot better, but I was satisfied.  Kind of weird, but I like weird shows.

It could be better indeed, but I didn't like Sons of Anarchy at first and then became a beast of a series, so I will give this series a chance. One of my main gripes with what is saw is:

SPOILERS:

the way Graham falls into conclusions that go beyond what he understand from the scene. Like when he guessed the relationship of the killer with the girl who inspires his murders. I think they tried to dispatch part of his ability to understand the killer by attributing him the ability to jump into conclusions, but there was nothing in the scene that gave hint to a relationship between a father and a daughter. They just rushed that and didn't develop a scene that could help Graham explain things and how he got to said reasoning. I fear that this may be an ongoing thing throughout the season, I hope it doesn't.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

AbbathTheGrim said:
nnodley said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
MoHasanie said:

It could be better indeed, but I didn't like Sons of Anarchy at first and then became a beast of a series, so I will give this series a chance. One of my main gripes with what is saw is:

SPOILERS:

the way Graham falls into conclusions that go beyond what he understand from the scene. Like when he guessed the relationship of the killer with the girl who inspires his murders. I think they tried to dispatch part of his ability to understand the killer by attributing him the ability to jump into conclusions, but there was nothing in the scene that gave hint to a relationship between a father and a daughter. They just rushed that and didn't develop a scene that could help Graham explain things and how he got to said reasoning. I fear that this may be an ongoing thing throughout the season, I hope it doesn't.

Yeah, I didn't realize that, but he did do that.  Also I thought the guy playing Graham did a pretty good job acting though.

nnodley said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
nnodley said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
MoHasanie said:

SPOILERS:

Yeah, I didn't realize that, but he did do that.  Also I thought the guy playing Graham did a pretty good job acting though.

SPOILERS

They tried to conceal that with a lot of things he blurted out during that scene. He was like: "this scene is different, this couldn't be the original killer, the original killer is like this and that and that and he is the FATHER!" You need to kind of like take a moment and ask yourself: "Wait, where the hell did that guy take that from?" Sneaky bastards.

I think the Dancy did a decent job portraying the character as is pictured in this series. The problem is that the Graham in the Manhunter film is different:

In the film he is more of a badass detective kind and not the schizoid type we see in the series. But, like I said, this series could be like the experience ride for this character to get to the point he got in the film. I bet that he will get through a lot of shit during the series to toughen him up and the relationship he may seem to have in the ending previews and with the constant dealing with people may end up lessening the way he stays away from people. That is why I think there can still be development for the character in the series to become like he is in the film.

I'm not a fan of it.

It feels like someone made a show about Graham and then realized that wasn't really enough to carry the show. In order to fix that, they threw Hannibal in there and named the show after him. So now you have the main character Graham and his sidekick Hannibal. That would be like calling Sherlock Watson.

It was also odd to me and confused me a little at first that Hannibal didnt show up until halfway through (which adds cred to my show was changed to fit Hannibal in idea). I thought Graham was supposed to be Hannibal and it was just some really crazy reboot.

I'm underwhelmed but since it's on Hulu and not taking up space on my DVR I'll give it a few episodes but I really don't have high hopes.

Also,lol at Fishburne yelling at the guy in the bathroom.

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
Mummelmann said:
MoHasanie said:

OP: No, never even heard of this show but I will watch it, big fan of Mikkelsen and the material they are using here, Lecter is one of the best and most intrguing characters ever created, in my opinion.

Yeah, in a sea of series where we need to pick the things we watch for lack of time, I decided to check this out because of the material the series takes after. I love Lecter as well, but I kind of disliked when they started giving him more spotlight and tried to explain the reasons behind the way he is.

To me one of the things I like from this character was that shroud of mystery surrounding him, to wonder how he can be that intelligent and so evil at the same time. With Hannibal Rising it completely destroyed that character and turned it into more of the same. I haven't read the book the film was inspired but beyond being an atrocious film just by trying to explain a character we don't need to understand seemed to be a bad idea.

I consider The Dark Knight's Joker as a new Hannibal in films. He was crazy, violent, insane and every time he talked about why his face was disfigured he would come with a different story which seemed like some sort of black humor joke that kept cementing that mystery behind him. Both Hannibal and the Joker are an example of how mystery surrounding a character actually help making him more interesting.

Mad55 said:
I'm actually watching the first episode right now. not bad so far.

It isn't bad at all, right? I was particularly interested in the clips they showed for the upcoming episodes, like I said. I didn't like some of the stuff I saw of how they portryaed Graham but in the upcoming stuff it seems that there is room for the develpment of his character. If we think about it, the Red Dragon Graham is a guy that had a history with Hannibal and that seemed to have gone through a lot of stuff during his career. This series could serve as a way to not only understand the relationship between these two characters but also to see how Graham developed into the guy we knew in Red Dragon. Only if done correctly, of course.

i actually like it a nice bit it has some potential. They portrayed Graham really well. 

I wanted to like the show, but as a huge Manhunter fan (fuck Silent of The Lambs) I was very disappointed in the portrayal of Graham.

NBC is the shittest network going, Hannibal would have done better elsewhere. If it pulls in the same numbers Grimm, the show should stay afloat til the end.

Looking forward to the Lance Henriksen guest appearance.

twesterm said:
I'm not a fan of it.

It feels like someone made a show about Graham and then realized that wasn't really enough to carry the show. In order to fix that, they threw Hannibal in there and named the show after him. So now you have the main character Graham and his sidekick Hannibal. That would be like calling Sherlock Watson.

It was also odd to me and confused me a little at first that Hannibal didnt show up until halfway through (which adds cred to my show was changed to fit Hannibal in idea). I thought Graham was supposed to be Hannibal and it was just some really crazy reboot.

I'm underwhelmed but since it's on Hulu and not taking up space on my DVR I'll give it a few episodes but I really don't have high hopes.

Also,lol at Fishburne yelling at the guy in the bathroom.

I don't know, how many names the books have? Fact is that Hannibal is the one that pretty much keeps the book/films together, he is iconic and the easiest to recognize. Hannibal has had a lot of presence in the episodes so far.

The escene in the bathroom was kinda funny. Well, more like a WTF?!

foodfather said:
I wanted to like the show, but as a huge Manhunter fan (fuck Silent of The Lambs) I was very disappointed in the portrayal of Graham.

NBC is the shittest network going, Hannibal would have done better elsewhere. If it pulls in the same numbers Grimm, the show should stay afloat til the end.

Looking forward to the Lance Henriksen guest appearance.

What the hell is wrong with Silence? lol I get what you mean about Graham but I feel he is somewhat toughening up with each episode. I feel they will indeed make his character progress to something similar to how he is in Manhunter.

I had to look up the Lance appearance. I didn't know it. Looking forward to it. I wonder if he will appear in his character from Millenium investigating Hannibal. lol

foodfather said:

NBC is the shittest network going, Hannibal would have done better elsewhere.

Man, I didn't quite put much attention to this until I got to know that NBC actually pulled off episode #4 off air for being too violent or some shit. WTF?! Luckily we got this thing called internet. Too late though, they aired #5 instead of #4 so I saw them out of order. What a bunch of fucking assholes.

AbbathTheGrim said:
foodfather said:

NBC is the shittest network going, Hannibal would have done better elsewhere.

Man, I didn't quite put much attention to this until I got to know that NBC actually pulled off episode #4 off air for being too violent or some shit. WTF?! Luckily we got this thing called internet. Too late though, they aired #5 instead of #4 so I saw them out of order. What a bunch of fucking assholes.

It was going to happen sooner or later wasn't it. NBC has no business getting involved in dark shows. thank god for torrents. 

Having said that... I am actually  thoroughly enjoying the show and the new Will Graham is starting to grow on me. The show has picked up nicely, more so than The Following which went a bit downhill. If you enjoy this show, you should also check out Bates Hotel, its also quite good. 

And Great to see Millennium fans still around, would be awesome if Lance plays a Frank Black type character.