By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Major Nelson: Official Statement on what was said yesterday (aka "always-on connection rumors"

Aielyn said:
Machiavellian said:
Even if this twitter thing did not get out of hand, MS would not have made a comment on it but instead either fired Orth or put him under a media blackout to keep his mouth shut.  It would not matter if his statements were truth or opinion.  The only reason you even have an apology is that Orth made rude comments to people so it required a response.

You still keep missing the point that MS does not make any statements on something that does not exist and they will not make a statement until they make a reveal.  Trying to read between the lines is just creating your own opinion of what said but in reality it doesn't get any deeper than the Nextbox doesn't exist until MS says it does.

Once again, there is no reason why they would have to say a single word about an upcoming console in order to put out the fire that Orth set. It is trivial to put people's minds at ease by talking about Microsoft's perspective and opinion, rather than about what is coming. But they can't use this method unless what they say is actually accurate - that is, if MS aren't putting such a restriction into their system, then they can do it; but if they are making their next console always-online DRM, then using this method would backfire massively, for obvious reasons.

And any even half-competent PR person would see this. So if there wasn't any truth in the rumour, MS would be able to easily dismiss them, in a way that would be so trivial and uneventful that people would have forgotten about the events entirely by the time of the official unveiling, while preventing more such rumours.

So tell me - do you honestly think that Microsoft's PR people are so incompetent that they wouldn't be able to see this?

You're wrong and don't have the knowledge or experience to make that statement.

Around the Network
slowmo said:

Your comment could be taken two different ways. I'm going to choose to take it in the way that I prefer.

I suspect that you assume that I think that most PR people are competent. I don't.

Aielyn said:
slowmo said:

Your comment could be taken two different ways. I'm going to choose to take it in the way that I prefer.

I suspect that you assume that I think that most PR people are competent. I don't.

The joys of a forum are that you can read into my statement whatever you like

Someone in my comapny's marketing department recently sent a poster throughout the company with the phrase "have your photograph proffessionally taken".  It's somewhat of a huge blunder to spell professionally wrong but had this mistake been made by most people in their daily work it would not have been published for hundreds of people to see.  The problem with PR is that your every mistake can be in the public eye and it's hard to not appear incompetent when people think it's such a simple job to get right.  I think most PR people are competent but it's just a lot easier for them to drop a blunder that is noticed by others and unfortunately there is nowhere to hide if you do.

teigaga said:
kowenicki said:
teigaga said:
kowenicki said:
teigaga said:
"It will take a lot more than this "fiasco" to get me to switch to the PS4."

Ewww, Microsoft has loyal fans? Why?

I guess they must really like Halo and Gears.

Reported.

LMAO

I was being honest though. Do people really have personal attchments to microsoft?? I find that weird, I used to when games like Mass effect and Bioshock were exclusive to 360 and games like fable and Banjo was on their way. Since 2009 the 360 has started to loose it soul, its still kinda my preference for 3rd party because of the controller but i don't see much going for microsoft in next gen... 

From my understanding they don't have an awesome blog like sony, or do cool little things like Nintendo directs. Essential Microsoft has no personality. Sorry but not sorry. 

I would for a microsoft fanboy to explain their attachment to the xbox brand. Is it Halo? genuinely interest :)

Yeah great. Thanks. Insightful and intelligent. Now why don't you stop derailing, stop baiting and go away.  

But theres nothing to derail from, this thread is built on a non statement.

"we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

I will leave alright, but have fun discussing the titillating quote above. So much juicy details to delph into *insert sarcasm*  

*slams door on way out*

A Blog.......really? And you have the nerve to ask what keeps 360 fans attached to MS? A blog...one of the things that requires the least amount of effort and upkeep, and utterly useless in terms of gaming inustry news as anything of significance pops up on every gaming web site if its worth posting. You claim 360 dropped off since 2009, but I can say something similar, where aside from Uncharted, God of War, and GT, the last few years for PS3 have been a wave of "meh" in terms of exclusives IMO.

For the record, I am attached to the 360 brand because Xbox has its flagship franchises, Live, multiplats, and XBLA have been amazing since day 1, not crawling up to significance since launch like with PSN, PSN games, and their multiplats. Its easy to get where I want to go and keep track/communicate with my friends. Its faster and more convienent.

Just answered your above question. No need for retort as I have no desire to explain further my attachments to a non-believer any more then you do.

This thread is about MS apologising for an employees lack of restraint and disrespectfulness. Nothing more.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Aielyn said:
Machiavellian said:
Even if this twitter thing did not get out of hand, MS would not have made a comment on it but instead either fired Orth or put him under a media blackout to keep his mouth shut.  It would not matter if his statements were truth or opinion.  The only reason you even have an apology is that Orth made rude comments to people so it required a response.

You still keep missing the point that MS does not make any statements on something that does not exist and they will not make a statement until they make a reveal.  Trying to read between the lines is just creating your own opinion of what said but in reality it doesn't get any deeper than the Nextbox doesn't exist until MS says it does.

Once again, there is no reason why they would have to say a single word about an upcoming console in order to put out the fire that Orth set. It is trivial to put people's minds at ease by talking about Microsoft's perspective and opinion, rather than about what is coming. But they can't use this method unless what they say is actually accurate - that is, if MS aren't putting such a restriction into their system, then they can do it; but if they are making their next console always-online DRM, then using this method would backfire massively, for obvious reasons.

And any even half-competent PR person would see this. So if there wasn't any truth in the rumour, MS would be able to easily dismiss them, in a way that would be so trivial and uneventful that people would have forgotten about the events entirely by the time of the official unveiling, while preventing more such rumours.

So tell me - do you honestly think that Microsoft's PR people are so incompetent that they wouldn't be able to see this?

How can you put out the fire Orth set when you have to make a statement about a product that does not exist.  I just do not understand your reasoning.  It's trivial to you concerning the issue but its totally different on the corporate level.  Why would MS say anything about a product they have not released, that is not in the market if they already have a plan to deliver that message which is already probably costing them millions in prep.  Why would they spoil that work just to set YOUR mind at ease.  Once MS makes a state saying the Online only for the next xbox is false they just undermined their reveal, it opens up a can of words that potentially derail all the money they probably is spending and have spent on their reveal.  

Also, once you go down this road you set a precedent.  MS has always maintain a no comment on rumors and once they break that, they might as well not set policy on the matter.  MS is a big corporate machine and that machine does not break policy sometimes to the detriment of the company.

You really are thinking about this problem like a consumer.  Its no trivial for MS to make such a statement confirming or denying because it would not end with that statement.  The media would go crazy with a statement like that.  They would be all over MS to confirm and deny everything.  It would be even more post, on national web sites on the matter and it would eclipse their real reveal.

The thing is, MS isn't going to knee jerk respond and compromise their planned reveal.  MS has never talked about a product that they have not released or revealed.  No matter what the rumors are MS has never done this to my knowledge and I doubt they will.

I am going more on MS track record and you are going on a gut feeling of how MS should react.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:

How can you put out the fire Orth set when you have to make a statement about a product that does not exist.  I just do not understand your reasoning.  It's trivial to you concerning the issue but its totally different on the corporate level.  Why would MS say anything about a product they have not released, that is not in the market if they already have a plan to deliver that message which is already probably costing them millions in prep.  Why would they spoil that work just to set YOUR mind at ease.  Once MS makes a state saying the Online only for the next xbox is false they just undermined their reveal, it opens up a can of words that potentially derail all the money they probably is spending and have spent on their reveal.

I addressed this in my FIRST post in this thread. Here's how it would be done:

"The comments made by Adam Orth on Twitter are not representative of the opinion of Microsoft. We here at Microsoft do not consider the practice of always-online restrictions at the hardware level to be appropriate to the videogame industry. We view all consumers, irrespective of location or internet connectivity, to be equally important."

Not a word said about any sort of product, yet puts out the fire completely. Establishes that future consoles from them won't have always-online DRM, without ever mentioning any console, and yet leaves the door wide open to games on future consoles being always-online. And it does all of this in a way that also avoids any pretense of there not being a new console being prepared for announcement, and thus does not patronise its potential customers.

slowmo said:

Someone in my comapny's marketing department recently sent a poster throughout the company with the phrase "have your photograph proffessionally taken".  It's somewhat of a huge blunder to spell professionally wrong but had this mistake been made by most people in their daily work it would not have been published for hundreds of people to see.  The problem with PR is that your every mistake can be in the public eye and it's hard to not appear incompetent when people think it's such a simple job to get right.  I think most PR people are competent but it's just a lot easier for them to drop a blunder that is noticed by others and unfortunately there is nowhere to hide if you do.

There's a big difference between typographical errors that make you look bad and a statement that specifically goes out of its way to say "we're not going to comment on this part of it". While they may have failed to recognise that it actually confirms something, they couldn't possibly have missed the option of rejecting the premise - it's one of the most elementary methods of PR.

Aielyn said:
slowmo said:

There's a big difference between typographical errors that make you look bad and a statement that specifically goes out of its way to say "we're not going to comment on this part of it". While they may have failed to recognise that it actually confirms something, they couldn't possibly have missed the option of rejecting the premise - it's one of the most elementary methods of PR.

They had nothing to reject though as they've announced nothing and they've clearly stated they don't coment on rumour.

Aielyn said:
slowmo said:

I seriously do not know what PR school you come from but I do not ever remember PR making a comment about something that does not exist.  MS has not announced anything related to their next console so how can someone make a comment about it.  I really do not understand your reasoning.  MR Major Nelson would have said that the rumors are not true about always online, well, he just made the Next xbox announcement.  If you believe it would not be taken that way you have not been paying attention.

Machiavellian said:
I seriously do not know what PR school you come from but I do not ever remember PR making a comment about something that does not exist.  MS has not announced anything related to their next console so how can someone make a comment about it.  I really do not understand your reasoning.  MR Major Nelson would have said that the rumors are not true about always online, well, he just made the Next xbox announcement.  If you believe it would not be taken that way you have not been paying attention.

Are you incapable of reading my responses to you? I've already f'ing addressed this. READ WHAT I'VE SAID.