By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Major Nelson: Official Statement on what was said yesterday (aka "always-on connection rumors"

thismeintiel said:

I agree 100%.  This guy would have had major input into the develop of the NeXbox and its games.  Firing him a month before they are set to reveal the NeXbox doesn't speak very highly of his ability to make those decisions, even if that wasn't the reason for his firing.  To me, it seems this is the model they are going for.  Of course, they wanted to ease the public into the idea and make it seem like a good thing.  Orth's comments (as well as the comment from Nikolai Mohilchock about making sure you pay your ISP bills), however, have pushed got this in the open too quickly and have added to the negative push back from these rumors.

I also agree MS could have put this rumor to rest without speaking about a new console, which everyone knows is in development, anyway.  The fact that they didn't adds to its validity, IMO.

No he wouldn't have.

He's associated with Microsoft Games Studio.  He's not associated with the Xbox team.  They aren't even in close physical proximity to each other on Microsoft's campus.  Microsoft Games Studio develops games for a broad range of devices, from PCs, to mobile devices, to consoles.  What development team he is a director of isn't mentioned.

The last Xbox game he worked on, as a creative director, was Star Wars Kinect, however before that he worked on a PS Vita game, as well as Facebook games.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
I must say Microsoft hires great people who know how to clear up shitstorms. Rarely do you ever catch them in one.

Actually its policy for no employee to speak about anything MS, partners or competitors related as it is something that will get you instantly fired.  I worked for MS in the past and the policy back then was pretty iron clad so I doubt anything has changed.  If MS did not fire Orth then you can believe there will be a media black out from the guy and some type of displanary action held.  You will not see another comment from Mr. Orth for probably as long as he remains at MS.  I am sure his twitter account isnt locked because he choose to do it but MS demanded he do it.

My guess is he won't make it through.  He's pretty low on the totem pole, and expendable.  Fortunately he wasn't still with LucasArts, but unfortunately he opened his mouth at the wrong time.

ArnoldRimmer said:
What a meaningless statement.

Fact is:
Adam Orth may not be an "official spokesperson" for Microsoft, but that doesn't mean he's lying. In the end, he's still Creative Director at Microsoft, so if one believes what he said was just utter bullshit, the inevitable question remains: Then why did he say so?

Personally, I find it rather hard to believe that he has simply fantasized and there's not the slightest truth to what he says, putting his own job in big danger by publically spreading complete lies under his real identity.

His statements on the always-online policy must come from somewhere, and I see two possible explanations:
- Adam Orth was really absolutely convinced that the Xbox 720 will be always online, which would strongly suggest that Microsoft indeed planned to take that path (but after seeing the public reactions, Microsoft might now reconsider this)

- Microsoft did indeed think about always-online, but they didn't decide yet, for they realized how unpopular and thus dangerous for their business such a move could be. Adam Orth's statements were a kind of "test-balloon" to see peoples reaction - if the idea would have been accepted, it would be implemented, but if people would protest, Microsoft would simply be able to say something like: "Hey, he's not an official spokesperson, we really don't know how such bizarre ideas could even come to his mind!" (In that case, I'd personally still expect a more professional and less arrogant approach though)

The fact that in the statement they are saying absolutely nothing on the actual topic speaks for itself. Microsoft definitely wants to go that way - but we might not see that feature in the Xbox 720 already, because Microsoft may realize that people are still too strong against it. Eventually this might mean that the Xbox 720 gets delayed, because they may have already designed the Xbox 720 to be always-online and in that case going back would probably involve drastic changes.

I do not see why its so hard for people to understand that MS will not speak about anything nextBox related until they actually REVEAL the console.  This not a very hard concept to understand.  Just because the net want answers is not going to make MS change their plans or release any info until they are ready.  

I higly doubt that MS only made the console for always online as that would be a silly design.  As someone noted before, its probably something that can be easily patched in or out.

The Adam Orth being the scapegoat for MS to see what the reation of Only Online console doesn't sound like a good plan.  Instead MS would have used a 3rd party outlet to test the waters instead of an employee at MS.  It's even less plausible if the employee was rude and commented in a way that makes MS look bad.  I would probably buy that Ideal if the guy only had reasonable dicussions about online only instead of statements that are designed to piss people off.

The key is that it doesn't matter what MS is testing as far as always online or what the dev units are setup to do, its the actual consumer product that matters.  I can definitely see MS making the dev units online only because they want to track those devs, what they do and who they are.  A consumer device is something totally different

D-Joe said:
Sal.Paradise said:

I don't think they'd fire the Creative Director of MS Game Studios if all he did was 1) 'joke' about people with bad internet 2) shoot the shit about an always online console that Microsoft are not actually making.

They will,ask Machiavellian

I am aging myself here but I worked at MS when windows 95 came out.  I seen people get fired over just posting in forums using their MS email address.  If people think that a director who pisses of people on his own twitter account that makes national news will not be under the firing line then a lot of you have not worked for big coporations like MS.  This guy getting fired does not confirm anything.  Him getting fired is because he tweeted about something that does not exist, made a big stink of it and cause MS to look bad no matter what he said.  Him being a director is even worst because people will see this as an official statement, stance and position of MS which might not be the case.

Even if this whole thing did not blow up, MS is very strict on employees making any statements concerning anything MS, their partners or competitors.  The reason why is exactly what we see here.  People will assume this is MS speaking.  They will assume this is MS stance.  People will assume this is how MS works based on one person opinion.  You only have to view this and many other threads to see that people believe that online only is true based on Mr. Orth personal tweets.

Sal.Paradise said:

Him being fired lends credence to always online DRM being present. I don't think they'd fire the Creative Director of MS Game Studios if all he did was 1) 'joke' about people with bad internet 2) shoot the shit about an always online console that Microsoft are not actually making.

His comments have obviously done significant damage to the message they wanted to convey, and the only way that would be true would be if there was indeed that drm in place in the console. I mean, as if we couldn't all have guessed it by this point. Fun times ahead.

I'm not sure about that. It could be considered breach of contract with him releasing any details about the new console, true or false, joke or not. Any information given could very easily be a breach of contract.

Plus if it were my business I would get rid of him due to tarnishing his image and that of the business.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:

I am aging myself here but I worked at MS when windows 95 came out.

I was one of 250 people invited to Redmond from the 100,000 in the Windows 95 Beta.  You might be older, but only slightly.

Adinnieken said:
Machiavellian said:

I am aging myself here but I worked at MS when windows 95 came out.

I was one of 250 people invited to Redmond from the 100,000 in the Windows 95 Beta.  You might be older, but only slightly.

Yeah, I actually started working in the Charlotte NC office as support for Windows for Workgroups, Win 95 then NT.

MB1025 said:
Yes they would fire the guy. Also their response is not the same as what you wrote.

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers.  We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

You're clearly not understanding. Nothing in what MS actually said even implies any inaccuracy regarding what Orth implied about MS's next console. What they're saying is "we don't consider people living in backwater areas to be idiots who need to move". It's all very PR-speak, making it sound like they're rejecting what he said when they're actually rejecting only the anti-consumer attitude of how he said it.

So when I summarise their response, I put it exactly as I did - "Adam Orth's comments on Twitter were inappropriate, and we have no comment on the actual content of the twitter comments". They have nothing to say about his actual point, they only take issue with the attitude with which he said it, and the fact that his attitude makes MS look bad. Remember, "the actual content" of the twitter comments wasn't "don't live in backwater areas", but rather "always online is a good thing, and shouldn't be denigrated any more than a vacuum cleaner always needing power".

In PR, it's always what they *don't* say that is key. The failure to actually say anything about the idea of always-online consoles, when that's what most people are reacting to (not the poor way in which Adam Orth promoted it), is a much louder statement than anything they actually did say.

Aielyn said:
MB1025 said:
Yes they would fire the guy. Also their response is not the same as what you wrote.

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers.  We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

You're clearly not understanding. Nothing in what MS actually said even implies any inaccuracy regarding what Orth implied about MS's next console. What they're saying is "we don't consider people living in backwater areas to be idiots who need to move". It's all very PR-speak, making it sound like they're rejecting what he said when they're actually rejecting only the anti-consumer attitude of how he said it.

So when I summarise their response, I put it exactly as I did - "Adam Orth's comments on Twitter were inappropriate, and we have no comment on the actual content of the twitter comments". They have nothing to say about his actual point, they only take issue with the attitude with which he said it, and the fact that his attitude makes MS look bad. Remember, "the actual content" of the twitter comments wasn't "don't live in backwater areas", but rather "always online is a good thing, and shouldn't be denigrated any more than a vacuum cleaner always needing power".

In PR, it's always what they *don't* say that is key. The failure to actually say anything about the idea of always-online consoles, when that's what most people are reacting to (not the poor way in which Adam Orth promoted it), is a much louder statement than anything they actually did say.

Even if this twitter thing did not get out of hand, MS would not have made a comment on it but instead either fired Orth or put him under a media blackout to keep his mouth shut.  It would not matter if his statements were truth or opinion.  The only reason you even have an apology is that Orth made rude comments to people so it required a response.

You still keep missing the point that MS does not make any statements on something that does not exist and they will not make a statement until they make a reveal.  Trying to read between the lines is just creating your own opinion of what said but in reality it doesn't get any deeper than the Nextbox doesn't exist until MS says it does.  

Machiavellian said:
Even if this twitter thing did not get out of hand, MS would not have made a comment on it but instead either fired Orth or put him under a media blackout to keep his mouth shut.  It would not matter if his statements were truth or opinion.  The only reason you even have an apology is that Orth made rude comments to people so it required a response.

You still keep missing the point that MS does not make any statements on something that does not exist and they will not make a statement until they make a reveal.  Trying to read between the lines is just creating your own opinion of what said but in reality it doesn't get any deeper than the Nextbox doesn't exist until MS says it does.

Once again, there is no reason why they would have to say a single word about an upcoming console in order to put out the fire that Orth set. It is trivial to put people's minds at ease by talking about Microsoft's perspective and opinion, rather than about what is coming. But they can't use this method unless what they say is actually accurate - that is, if MS aren't putting such a restriction into their system, then they can do it; but if they are making their next console always-online DRM, then using this method would backfire massively, for obvious reasons.

And any even half-competent PR person would see this. So if there wasn't any truth in the rumour, MS would be able to easily dismiss them, in a way that would be so trivial and uneventful that people would have forgotten about the events entirely by the time of the official unveiling, while preventing more such rumours.

So tell me - do you honestly think that Microsoft's PR people are so incompetent that they wouldn't be able to see this?