By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - (Funny as hell) Man Slams Xbox 720 Always-Online Policy, Then Axes His 360

nightsurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Skeeuk said:

i predict 100's of thousands more like this, PPL will be annoyed if 720 is an always on console

I was raised in a house that doesnt leave their products on because it increases the power bill. If the 720 always has to be online they can suck a dick. I'll just play it elsewhere.

The added cost of your electricity bill by leaving the new Xbox in it's low power "always on" state would only amount to about $3-5 a year.

If thats the case then cool. I was raised on keeping lights off if they arent used, keeping the AC at a certain temperature and plugging out power surges if it isnt needed. I feel bad for people bad signals because they live out in the country or have no internet at all. All videogame consoles must be prepped to go without internet. This is where Sony and Nintendo will have a distinct advantage if true.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Skeeuk said:

i predict 100's of thousands more like this, PPL will be annoyed if 720 is an always on console

I was raised in a house that doesnt leave their products on because it increases the power bill. If the 720 always has to be online they can suck a dick. I'll just play it elsewhere.

The added cost of your electricity bill by leaving the new Xbox in it's low power "always on" state would only amount to about $3-5 a year.

its not just the cost its more of the concept and annoyance for me.

my consoles are downstairs and pc upstairs our net hub cable connection is next to pc so to play online downstairs i basically have to switch on power next to pc.

the thing is i dont always have ps3wiiu or any other device always connected to the net, so to think of me owning a console that id always have connected to the net puts me off combined with console always being in power-down mode when off. even our set-top boxes etc are all turned off from the mains at night.

i think the 720 will be very internet feature driven hence it will require an always on, but on flip-side they may have generous allotments from publishers due to this move.

i guess wel wait and see at e3

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:
nightsurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Skeeuk said:

its not just the cost its more of the concept and annoyance for me.

my consoles are downstairs and pc upstairs our net hub cable connection is next to pc so to play online downstairs i basically have to switch on power next to pc.

the thing is i dont always have ps3wiiu or any other device always connected to the net, so to think of me owning a console that id always have connected to the net puts me off combined with console always being in power-down mode when off. even our set-top boxes etc are all turned off from the mains at night.

i think the 720 will be very internet feature driven hence it will require an always on, but on flip-side they may have generous allotments from publishers due to this move.

i guess wel wait and see at e3

I guess I don't understand what you are saying as far as your net hub cable connection. Why wouldn't you just leave it on all the time so you can access the internet anywhere in your home without having to go to your PC area and turn it back on/off?

Is the electricity savings of a few cents each month really that big of an issue?

Or where you live is electricity much more expensive or people much more "green" in their usages? I can definitely see where areas of much more dense population and poorer power/internet infrastructures would be more conservative with their power.

@STAGE, I can relate to what you are saying as well. I do not waste power and was brought up to turn things off when not in use, but not quite as conservative as to fully unplug power strips or turn off breakers or the like.

nightsurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Skeeuk said:

Now multliply that by the amount of electric applicances in your house. CLOCKS, REFRIGERATOR, MICROWAVE, PHONE, STOVE, TVs...etc.

BasilZero said:
That must be his first Xbox from the.....never mind I dont want to get banned for my post l0l.

Looks like the guy who was raging about the Magic The Gathering or w/e card game video I've seen o.O

That is because this guy does them for hits. He does a lot of rage videos.   He is the guy who made a video about Diablo III.  

Around the Network
VGKing said:
nightsurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Skeeuk said:

Now multliply that by the amount of electric applicances in your house. CLOCKS, REFRIGERATOR, MICROWAVE, PHONE, STOVE, TVs...etc.

I know I always unplug my fridge when I am not getting something out of it.

J_Allard said:
VGKing said:
nightsurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Skeeuk said:

I fridge is something you can't unplug, other stuff you can though.

The funny thing is that the fridge is probably the biggest power-hog in the entire house, ignoring any AC systems.

VGKing said:
nightsurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Skeeuk said:

What are you talking about? The Xbox's power state has nothing to do with those other devices... not sure why you mentioned them.

The added cost of leaving your Xbox in low power state for "Always On" stuff will only add $3-5 A YEAR in electricity cost.

Could it be the same guy? O_o

VGKing said:
J_Allard said:
VGKing said:
nightsurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Skeeuk said:

I fridge is something you can't unplug, other stuff you can though.

The funny thing is that the fridge is probably the biggest power-hog in the entire house, ignoring any AC systems.

Your fridge? I think mine only uses about $60 of electricity to run for an entire year. Things that use hot water are probably much bigger power hogs. Washing machines, dishwashers, etc.

Either way your point is irrelevant because those devices have nothing to do with an Xbox. You can power off any device you want to power off to conserve a few bucks a year. All the power to ya. (pun intended)