By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - More Details on Always-Online Xbox Revealed

I hven´t read the whole thread but am I the only one thinking the always online will be for the people that uses the payment plan, so if they dont pay a month the whole xbox goes useless.

If you buy your console without the payment plan this won´t be implemented.

That´s what i am thinking and if some other info has come up during this thread please inform me

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
mutantclown said:
theprof00 said:
Dark_Feanor said:
2 months after the release nobody will care if its always on or not.

My PC is always on and connected, my 360 e always connected to the internet, my PS3 is always connected, my iPhone is always on and always connected...

I want this rumor to be true. Gaming have to evolve.

2 months after release xbox will be dead if this is true.

If they're doing this (always on), it's because they will ban used games, there's really no other reason to require an online connection to run a game but to enforce DRM policies. If that's their whole plan then I really think they're in for very turbulent times.

Yes, but that's a big if. I believe this whole farce is simply to draw attention away from playstation and focus on things that MS knows will turn out false in the end. This is too convenient.

Sure.. this could have been a publicity stunt by MS, but I don't see how it could benefit them. Don't get me wrong this will definitely get people talking about their new console, but it won't be in a good way. Negative press will only hurt them.

theprof00 said:
mutantclown said:
theprof00 said:
Dark_Feanor said:

My PC is always on and connected, my 360 e always connected to the internet, my PS3 is always connected, my iPhone is always on and always connected...

2 months after release xbox will be dead if this is true.

If they're doing this (always on), it's because they will ban used games, there's really no other reason to require an online connection to run a game but to enforce DRM policies. If that's their whole plan then I really think they're in for very turbulent times.

Yes, but that's a big if. I believe this whole farce is simply to draw attention away from playstation and focus on things that MS knows will turn out false in the end. This is too convenient.

If this were anyone but Microsoft I would say there is no way this could be true.  Alas...

walsufnir said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Exactly. Every device at my home is always on - TV, Receiver, Bluray-Player, 360, netbook, PC, file-server, smartphone, tablet...

The difference is that all of those devices (with the possible exception of the smartphone or netbook) can still function for normal purposes without being connected to the internet.  

maximus22 said:
walsufnir said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Exactly. Every device at my home is always on - TV, Receiver, Bluray-Player, 360, netbook, PC, file-server, smartphone, tablet...

The difference is that all of those devices (with the possible exception of the smartphone or netbook) can still function for normal purposes without being connected to the internet.  

Yes, they do :)

Around the Network

*muches on popcorn*

Keep going Microsoft, i'm amused.

No seriously, they cant be thinking well but i guess it makes things simpler for next gen. The console will be renamed to american-box, cause its the only market that will probably put up with that.

hinch said:

Sure.. this could have been a publicity stunt by MS, but I don't see how it could benefit them. Don't get me wrong this will definitely get people talking about their new console, but it won't be in a good way. Negative press will only hurt them.

It can't hurt them if it's not true. On the contrary, it's setting a low bar for them to easily walk over. They'll announce and everyone will be ingratiated to them for not doing that.

theprof00 said:
hinch said:

It can't hurt them if it's not true. On the contrary, it's setting a low bar for them to easily walk over. They'll announce and everyone will be ingratiated to them for not doing that.

No company would place BAD publicity about themselves JUST to disprove it later. Business's dont work that way, and its not very clever in the long run is it? Even if the bar is set low it does nothing for microsoft disproving it after such a long time other than rectifying the bad publicity they've put on themselves.....which is abit pathetic tbh

Bradford City Fan for life

Recent favourite games: Ni No Kuni, Fifa 13, Batman Arkham City

Best games of all time: Pokemon Red, Dragon Warrior 3, The last of us, Uncharted 2 and 3

3ds friend code add me: 1950-8131-6814

PSN ID: Mr_Vezzo_Khanny - add to start a clan in the last of us mutiplayer

Considering the new burden this would potentially (as it's unconfirmed) put on gamers, I'm curious to see what BENEFITS they potentially feel this will have for our gaming experience. Who knows, there may be plusses that we don't know about that could make this 'burden' much easier to accept.

IF it's true. If not, we sure have wasted a lot of time and energy talking about an unconfirmed rumor ...

I just don't buy it. I understand that internet access is critical for Xbox Live and the tons of media functions they want to include with the new Xbox, but why would they also alienate the millions of people out there who buy consoles and do not have internet access at all, or have only poor internet quality/speeds.

I still no reason why MS would ever make this a requirement and not just an option. If they don't have internet, obviously parts of the new Xbox wouldn't work, but why on earth would they block the starting of games/apps!!!

I will still be buying a new Xbox even if it does have this requirement, because I have a very fast and reliable internet connection and I like Microsofts games/products/LIVE. But If this IS true and lasts longer than a few months before they get major backlash from gamers and change their firmware, I will most likely buy a PS4 and play a lot on there as well. Simply because a lot of my friends will likely switch over since I do have quite a few friends who live in the country/rural areas and have less than great internet.

And again, this could be another simple rumour taken out of context and blown out of proportion. Perhaps MS is adding this option as a DRM feature and will again leave it up to the publishers/game developers to decide if they want to use it on a per game basis. So if EA is evil and wants to use Always Online option, they could. Where as MS first party games might not require Always Online to work. You never know.