By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - More Details on Always-Online Xbox Revealed

theprof00 said:
If true, this could confirm the rumour about the nexbox set top; ie, the deal with comcast to make nexbox a digital cable box. What this possibly means is that you would pay something like 90$ a month, get cable, internet, and xbox live and the nexbox price gets a cost reduction in return.

Then maybe it will be an optional console. Like a different version of the console will be availble for people who want the Nextbox to be both a cable box and gaming device, but there will be other versions that are just for gaming. Also, if they make a digital cable box then it will only be sold in the United States cause they don't have partnerships world wide with all the cable providers. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
2 months after the release nobody will care if its always on or not.

My PC is always on and connected, my 360 e always connected to the internet, my PS3 is always connected, my iPhone is always on and always connected...

I want this rumor to be true. Gaming have to evolve.

So you're saying the world will all have reliable broadband Internets at the start of 2014. Awesome.

Sony´s reaction to the ALWAYS ON policy:

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

I agree in that I could see Microsoft pursuing an "always online" requirement if they're working in tandem with one or more internet service providers (to become the new cable box), as well as one or more major publishers who are intent on curtailing used games. I think there were past rumors about Microsoft trying to get deals with ISPs, and there was also a recent rumor about Microsoft possibly reaching an exclusive deal with EA (who themselves have experimented with always online functionality), so many of the rumors seem to be pointing towards the "always online" direction.

I always thought that Microsoft couldn't block used games without Sony or Nintendo doing so as well, but perhaps they could do it with ISPs and publishers. This could also force Sony's hand to implement their patent if publishers support the blocking of used games.  Or it could push core gamers onto the Wii U, PS4, PC, or other platforms.

WagnerPaiva said:

Sony´s reaction to the ALWAYS ON policy:

we need more Kaz gifs hahaha

Bradford City Fan for life

Recent favourite games: Ni No Kuni, Fifa 13, Batman Arkham City

Best games of all time: Pokemon Red, Dragon Warrior 3, The last of us, Uncharted 2 and 3

3ds friend code add me: 1950-8131-6814

PSN ID: Mr_Vezzo_Khanny - add to start a clan in the last of us mutiplayer

Around the Network

[Update] We received an official statement from Microsoft, via the company's PR firm Edelman, concerning the tweets sent by Microsoft Studios' creative director Adam Orth last evening.

The statement reads as follows:

"We are aware of the comments made by an employee on Twitter. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views are not reflective of those of the company. We have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/05/report-more-sources-say-next-xbox-will-require-always-on-internet-connection.aspx

true or not but when microsoft even reacts to that i think that guy doesn't have his job much longer

crissindahouse said:

true or not but when microsoft even reacts to that i think that guy doesn't have his job much longer

He'll try the "I drank too much that evening" excuse to keep the job. There IS a reason why there are trained spokespeople in larger companies, and this guy obviously isn't trained in speaking (or even in thinking).

Soriku said:
badgenome said:
Soriku said:

Third console curse is a bitch.

They have time to change this but I'm not getting my hopes up. Are they going to confirm no used games next?

I am getting my hopes up... that they're actually going through with this stupidity.

Man we're already seeing meltdowns...

If no used games is confirmed...I don't even know.

It's pretty much confirmed that the no used games rumor is false. Gamestop (who have said they won't support a console that blocks used games) has recently voiced their exitement over the next Xbox.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/03/gamestop-calls-next-xbox-hot-compelling

yo_john117 said:

It's pretty much confirmed that the no used games rumor is false. Gamestop (who have said they won't support a console that blocks used games) has recently voiced their exitement over the next Xbox.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/03/gamestop-calls-next-xbox-hot-compelling

Hmm no, thats just a confirmation GameStop has a way to make money on the Xbox. Higher margins on Console/Games than in the past due to MS selling it cheaper to retailers ? And people have to buy new games more frequently now, could make up for the loss of the used games market. Obviously just a theory but your conclusion is premature.

On topic:

If always on will come and be realised in any form that renders offline play impossible . The 720 would be pointless for me. If I go skiing or visit friends/family in the summer I tend to take my console with me. There is bad Internet in the summer (tiny Island) or not even proper cell reception + no internet in winter (alps).  Thats also the time where I have the most time to play and finish games.

Any console with always online is useless to me. I am not sure how this could be done without losing 10s of millions of customers all over the world who simply can not connect their console always to the internet or simply don't want to. No second hand is fine I buy only new games if there are new versions. But I fear for future generations. Not being able to get their hands on working copies of classic games in 20 years.

What it sounded like

what it felt like