By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - More Details on Always-Online Xbox Revealed

Netyaroze said:
yo_john117 said:

It's pretty much confirmed that the no used games rumor is false. Gamestop (who have said they won't support a console that blocks used games) has recently voiced their exitement over the next Xbox.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/03/gamestop-calls-next-xbox-hot-compelling

Hmm no, thats just a confirmation GameStop has a way to make money on the Xbox. Higher margins on Console/Games than in the past due to MS selling it cheaper to retailers ? And people have to buy new games more frequently now, could make up for the loss of the used games market. Obviously just a theory but your conclusion is premature.

On topic:

If always on will come and be realised in any form that renders offline play impossible . The 720 would be pointless for me. If I go skiing or visit friends/family in the summer I tend to take my console with me. There is bad Internet in the summer (tiny Island) or not even proper cell reception + no internet in winter (alps).  Thats also the time where I have the most time to play and finish games.

Any console with always online is useless to me. I am not sure how this could be done without losing 10s of millions of customers all over the world who simply can not connect their console always to the internet or simply don't want to. No second hand is fine I buy only new games if there are new versions. But I fear for future generations. Not being able to get their hands on working copies of classic games in 20 years.

Yes there's still a slight possibility of no used games (and even that's stretching when you really think about it) but one conclusion has a much higher chance of being right then the other.

Around the Network