By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Gran Turismo released every 2 years how much would each sell?

ethomaz said:

Mr Puggsly said:

But is supporting it with DLC as financally worth while as a new release every 1 or 2 years?

The current strategy MS has with Forza might make it as profitable as Gran Turismo in-spite Forza releases selling considerably less.

I can't see that happening... the Forza strategy had more cost to make more games in less time and Microsoft uses a lot of bundle or price cut/delas to reach the sales... GT5 sold more than 5 million copies at full price only in the launch month... and threre are the Prologue that just cover all the GT5 development.

There is no way Forza franchise is close in profit to what GT is... Halo franchise is a better comparision with GT in terms of profitiable.

1. I really doubt the heavily bundled Prologue release covered the development cost of the mega budget GT5. I think we'd see that strategy used more often if it worked as well as you think. Why are games $60 if apparently selling a $40 beta can make a mega budget game profitable? Use a little logic.

2. The four Forza games this gen combined have sold over 5 million units within their first 10 weeks on the market and have good legs even without bundling.

3. The Forza series has likely sold a lot of DLC and made profits from micro transactions. Even when MS gives out free copies of Forza there is potential people are buying DLC. The Forza 4 bundles omitted content as DLC.

Either way, it looks like MS has found a strategy that works for them and that's why they keep pushing Forza games on the market.

Halo is not a better comparison, Halo trounces GT in profits. I mean the Halo series has sold about 40 million units this gen a lone. It'll probably do another 40 million next gen. Halo 5 and 6 pretty much guarantees about 20 million units sold. Do I even need to get into merchandising? And we don't even know how much Sony pays in licensing fees in Gran Turismo. You think car manufacturers let Sony keep all that money?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Mr Puggsly said:

1. I really doubt the heavily bundled Prologue release covered the development cost of the mega budget GT5. I think we'd see that strategy used more often if it worked as well as you think. Why are games $60 if apparently selling a $40 beta can make a mega budget game profitable? Use a little logic.

2. The four Forza games this gen combined have sold over 5 million units within their first 10 weeks on the market and have good legs even without bundling.

3. The Forza series has likely sold a lot of DLC and made profits from micro transactions. Even when MS gives out free copies of Forza there is potential people are buying DLC. The Forza 4 bundles omitted content as DLC.

Either way, it looks like MS has found a strategy that works for them and that's why they keep pushing Forza games on the market.

Halo is not a better comparison, Halo trounces GT in profits. I mean the Halo series has sold about 40 million units this gen a lone. It'll probably do another 40 million next gen. Halo 5 and 6 pretty much guarantees about 20 million units sold. Do I even need to get into merchandising? And we don't even know how much Sony pays in licensing fees in Gran Turismo. You think car manufacturers let Sony keep all that money?

Really?

- $60 million is de buget to develop GT5:P + GT5 (yeap... there are the same development... GT5:P is just a demo in earty estage of GT5)
- Only Prologue generate over $200 million in revenue
- GT5 more $500 million in revenue

Remove the dev costs ($60 million) plus the market and the cost to print, ships and created the manual...

Added the over 2 million DLC sold for GT5.

You have what GT5 did for Sony.

GT profit is more close to Halo franchise this gen than Forza... I have certain about that... even so the Halo sold a lot more this gen with three main games that have a dev cost combined close to $200 million... and the Halo marketing bugest is way bigger than GT one too.

GT5 Prologue is basically GT5.
Prologue is the Demo so GT5 has been passed 10mil.

KingHades said:

That is an odd way of looking at it.  How many of those people who bought Prologue bought GT5?  That is why they are considered seperate, because they are seperate games.

JayWood2010 said:
KingHades said:

That is an odd way of looking at it.  How many of those people who bought Prologue bought GT5?  That is why they are considered seperate, because they are seperate games.

lolwut im sorry they are separate games? How in the world terrible logic. They aren't seperate really it's just one is the demo and the other is the full game. Basically I always coun't the demo sales with the full game.

Around the Network
KingHades said:
JayWood2010 said:
KingHades said:

lolwut im sorry they are separate games? How in the world terrible logic. They aren't seperate really it's just one is the demo and the other is the full game. Basically I always coun't the demo sales with the full game.

Answer my original question.  How many people do you think has bought Prologue and then bought GT5 as well.

And you are saying my logic is bad?  That is why Polyphony will directly only count GT5 shipments as GT5 numbers and not prologues too?  So are you saying Polyphony has bad logic too?

JayWood2010 said:
KingHades said:
JayWood2010 said:
KingHades said:

Answer my original question.  How many people do you think has bought Prologue and then bought GT5 as well.

And you are saying my logic is bad?  That is why Polyphony will directly only count GT5 shipments as GT5 numbers and not prologues too?  So are you saying Polyphony has bad logic too?

I said I coun't them as the same game because they are basically the same game it's just one has lesser features. Obviously no one buys the Demo over the FULL game why would you buy the game with lesser features then wait for the FULL version. PD doesn't but they should.

KingHades said:
JayWood2010 said:
KingHades said:
JayWood2010 said:
KingHades said:

I said I coun't them as the same game because they are basically the same game it's just one has lesser features. Obviously no one buys the Demo over the FULL game why would you buy the game with lesser features then wait for the FULL version. PD doesn't but they should.

Who else releases a glorified demo for $40?  No they shouldnt because they would not be individual buyers. 

I don't know how well they would sell. I think one every two years would be too often for GT fans.

I agree with what some people have been saying on here about having one or two a gen. But I think it should be one at the beginning and one near the middle.

ethomaz said:

Mr Puggsly said:

Really?

- $60 million is de buget to develop GT5:P + GT5 (yeap... there are the same development... GT5:P is just a demo in earty estage of GT5)
- Only Prologue generate over $200 million in revenue
- GT5 more $500 million in revenue

Remove the dev costs ($60 million) plus the market and the cost to print, ships and created the manual...

Added the over 2 million DLC sold for GT5.

You have what GT5 did for Sony.

GT profit is more close to Halo franchise this gen than Forza... I have certain about that... even so the Halo sold a lot more this gen with three main games that have a dev cost combined close to $200 million... and the Halo marketing bugest is way bigger than GT one too.

You presume everyone who got a copy of Prologue paid for it. But you're ignoring it had heavy bundling. I'm still surprised you think a $40 game that sells a few million units can cover the costs of a $60 million dollar game. We'd see a lot less developers struggling if that was actually the case.

I don't believe GT profits touches the Halo franchise at this point. It sells more units, its a reasons millions of people have Live Gold, it sells a ton of DLC, and merchandising! Go to any Walmart and you'll probably see several Halo games, Halo DVDs, action figures, Halo Mega Blocks, and t-shirts. To the contrary, you'd be lucky to find a copy of GT5 on their shevles. Halo can spend more on marketing because it generates more money.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)