By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Gran Turismo released every 2 years how much would each sell?

ethomaz said:
I have question for the guys here.

What the purpose to have two or more racing simulator from the same franchise in a Generation in a console?

I can see a game releasing at the early of the generation and other at the end but I can't see any purpose to have a racing sim from the same franchise in each 2 or 3 years.

GT6 will not be too different from GT5... like Forza 4 is not too different from Forza 3 (in this case the Forza 3 is a better sim because they downgraded the Forza 4 for 16 player racing and better graphics... so the physics and IA were compromised).

Much like sports games, it can just be an update. Improved graphics, AI, more content, etc. Kinect features in Forza 4 was a great addition.

Three Forza games this gen doesn't seem excessive considering they are all about two years apart. It seemed a bit excessive with Forza Horizon, but that was very different game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

they would still be higher than forza sorry but i couldnt resist!!

but seriously i think they would be 7M+. depends on reviews, bundles and time of release. the first week would be crucial though

JayWood2010 said:
I agree but it also depends on who you ask.  GT has went the update route and has done well with it.  Forza goes with changing cars and features along with updating cosmetic damage and visuals.  Not sure if that could change with an update although I really dont know.

But then you could say the same thing about every game including GT.  Why are there more than one halo or more than one Uncharted?  People like them although they really arent all that different besides a few features, story, and graphics.  But then again racers dont have a story so why not just update it like they have GT?  Now that we have updating you are probably right, but at the same time not everyone has high speed internet.

That's my point.

Halo, Uncharted and others franchises have at the least the story to make the gamers to be excited... see the new BioShock that in terms of gameplay is the same but the story and everything else is magical.

I really don't think the FIFA and others sports game have to be yearly too... EA can just give a update with the new teams and players (the real ones)... maybe a FIFA each four years is a nice deal for us.

The racing simulations have nothing to add in the same generation that makes a new title to be created... it is not like arcades races you can bring a new funny mode to make a new game... racing sims will be always racing seems... improved drivings physics, new tracks, new cars... tracks and cars you can give with DLC... and to have a real change in driving physics you need a way better hardward (new generation).

To be fair I thing a game in the begining o the gen and other in the end of the gen is a good interval.

But that is my option.

ethomaz said:
JayWood2010 said:
I agree but it also depends on who you ask.  GT has went the update route and has done well with it.  Forza goes with changing cars and features along with updating cosmetic damage and visuals.  Not sure if that could change with an update although I really dont know.

But then you could say the same thing about every game including GT.  Why are there more than one halo or more than one Uncharted?  People like them although they really arent all that different besides a few features, story, and graphics.  But then again racers dont have a story so why not just update it like they have GT?  Now that we have updating you are probably right, but at the same time not everyone has high speed internet.

That's my point.

Halo, Uncharted and others franchises have at the least the story to make the gamers to be excited... see the new BioShock that in terms of gameplay is the same but the story and everything else is magical.

I really don't think the FIFA and others sports game have to be yearly too... EA can just give a update with the new teams and players (the real ones)... maybe a FIFA each four years is a nice deal for us.

The racing simulations have nothing to add in the same generation that makes a new title to be created... it is not like arcades races you can bring a new funny mode to make a new game... racing sims will be always racing seems... improved drivings physics, new tracks, new cars... tracks and cars you can give with DLC... and to have a real change in driving physics you need a way better hardward (new generation).

To be fair I thing a game in the begining o the gen and other in the end of the gen is a good interval.

But that is my option.

I completely agree with you

I personally like it when a developer not only takes their time to support each entry of a big franchise (through patches and updates), but gives a long amount of development time for each new entry. One example is The Elder Scrolls, where we've seen two entries this generation, IV (at the beginning of the generation) and V (towards the end). Each game received several patches and post-release content, as well as a long enough development time to implement a new engine (from Gamebryo to Creation Engine) between each game.

As a big-time basketball fan, I really wish that 2K staggered their releases more (and relied on patching, even if the new content patches had a price), instead of simply releasing a new game each year with the same engine (albeit tweaked).  I currently buy a particular sports game once every two or three years because I'm not a fan of yearly releases.

I also like it when a developer is given the freedom to attempt something different, instead of having to make a new entry of their known franchise. For example, I like how Naughty Dog is able to develop an entirely new IP (The Last of Us), rather than only working on Uncharted 4.

Around the Network

The games are just too similar to release that often. Why not just release one at the start of the generation and then constantly support with new stuff over the years. Games like Burnout Paradise gained so much from DLC. A GT could too.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

ethomaz said:

But is supporting it with DLC as financally worth while as a new release every 1 or 2 years?

The current strategy MS has with Forza might make it as profitable as Gran Turismo in-spite Forza releases selling considerably less.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

the2real4mafol said:
The games are just too similar to release that often. Why not just release one at the start of the generation and then constantly support with new stuff over the years. Games like Burnout Paradise gained so much from DLC. A GT could too.

That likely isn't as financially worth while as more frequent releases.

Bear in mind EA stopped putting out Burnout games and now has that developer making Need For Speed games.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:

But is supporting it with DLC as financally worth while as a new release every 1 or 2 years?

The current strategy MS has with Forza might make it as profitable as Gran Turismo in-spite Forza releases selling considerably less.

I can't see that happening... the Forza strategy had more cost to make more games in less time and Microsoft uses a lot of bundle or price cut/delas to reach the sales... GT5 sold more than 5 million copies at full price only in the launch month... and threre are the Prologue that just cover all the GT5 development.

There is no way Forza franchise is close in profit to what GT is... Halo franchise is a better comparision with GT in terms of profitiable.

JayWood2010 said:

So I have been thinking about Gran Turismo and the numbers it has pulled off this generation.  Gran Turismo released in November of 2010 which means it has been on the market for roughly 2 years and a half.  With that said it has sold 8.83 million which comes out to being 294k a month on average with this number decreasing due to the decline of old age, nothing more.  None the less it is still selling well for an old game.  

With that said Gran Turismo 5 has shipped over 9 million copies and has a good chance of reaching 10m over its life if they bundle it (Please do not bring up bundles as if they are bad.  All of the big 3 bundle).  However if they do not bundle it it may never reach 10m.  Now if Gran Turismo 6 or Prologue gets released within 2 years (Already passed the 2 year mark) of Gran Turismo how well do you think each Gran Turismo would sell in the future?

I think that it would reach 10 million easily without bundles. Looking at the legs in GT4, it could go pretty far. With heavy bundling, I believe that even 12 or 13 million would be possible (despite that, I think we will only see some moderate bundling).