By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Housing! USA vs UK!

As the title suggests, I'd like to get people's opinions on housing in these two countries, especially with regard to the price.

It's not unknow that UK housing is pretty small, but what to the people in the US think of these properties?

http://www.seymours-estates.co.uk/property/surrey/4-bedroom-detached-house-for-sale-in-surrey/full_details_adv4/546125

~2274 sq/ft

Cost ( and sold at):
£695,000 = $1,050,000 

http://www.seymours-estates.co.uk/property/woking/4-bedroom-detached-house-for-sale-in-woking/full_details_adv4/525477

~1969 sq/ft

Cost:
£675,000 = $1,010,000 

http://thisis.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/28491900?search_identifier=a5a8b3de9173e222c7fcbbfd428d956f

Cost:
£235,000 = $355,000 

Thoughts? Good value for money? Same as where you are? Different?

Around the Network

Those house don't look that nice for those prices.

The houses are tiny and so old and not worth the price.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

the US has areas with pricing like this too. In the cities its expensive, in the open areas its cheap. Heck there is a 30% difference in price per squarefoot from my city to the next one over.

NobleTeam360 said:
Those house don't look that nice for those prices.

If you had to put a value on those houses, as if they were magically kicked across the atlantic and landed outside your house/in your general neighbourhood a) what price would you expect to see them at and b)and a scale of Bronx to bel Air, where would they fall?

Around the Network

I canada, you get bigger houses and newer ones for third of the price...

no one wants to live in canada though , I don't know why.

Oh wow. Real estate is grossly overpriced in the UK!

House 1:

US price: $195,000

House 2:

US price: $225,000 - $250,000

House 3:

US price: $175,000

Seems like House 3 is the best value, despite the age. I take it houses don't hold their value so well in the UK?

I live in Suburban North Carolina (which means rural, just not as rural as some counties where the people per square mile is in the single digits). Needless to say you wouldn't be able to sell any of those houses around here for more than about $150,000-$200,000 althought the ~$350,000 figure of number 3 seems more reasonable if you were to buy a house more towards Charlotte or Raleigh (what passes for 'cities' around here).

My parent's house is on a full Acre of land, about 1000 Square Feet larger than any of those and they bought it for around $350,000 I believe. My home is smaller than those (just me for now - around 1500 Square Feet) on a 3/4 acre lot and my dad wants to sell it to me for around $100,000 (although its a pretty good deal as the land is almost worth that) probably worth around $150,000.

The first two seem to be in higher property value areas, while number 3 seems to be comparable in size but in a much more reasonable area (I find them all aesthetically unapealling by the way but then again that's probably cultural, 1 and 2 are not so bad on the outside but inside is 'meh', 3 is weird looking outside but I kinda like the inside).

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

PullusPardus said:

I'd move to Canada in a heartbeat. Just need either a job or marriage to get me over there xD A lot of brits I know share this sentiment as well. 

dsgrue3 said:
Oh wow. Real estate is grossly overpriced in the UK!

House 1:

US price: $195,000

House 2:

US price: $225,000 - $250,000

House 3:

US price: $175,000

Seems like House 3 is the best value, despite the age. I take it houses don't hold their value so well in the UK?

Hahaha that's amazing to read. Housing here really is a complete joke. Houses hold their value really well in the UK as long as it's in the right location. Hell, I know homes over a 100 years old that sold for upwards of £300k (victorian properties are awesome), but insulation etc will suck on them unless someone spends a lot of money renovating it. 

PullusPardus said:

its one of the places i would move to if I ever left the us. How is their stance on marijuana?