By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Ending Spoiler] Bioshock Infinite and the clear lack of tolerance by some people...

So I did happen to see the ending to Bioshock on Youtube, and I see how fundamentalist Christians on the project could threaten to quit.  Pretty much the end story is you kill Booker to prevent a timeline distortion that happened.  In short, Booker becomes a fundamentalist Christian leader who causes hell above earth, so the end result is to practice murder.  I can see a fundamentalist Christian getting upset on it on th project.  Well, this is now, considering some tweaks were made to the ending.

Well, what do I see in VGChartz in response to an article about some Christians threatening to quit the project over he ending?  A bunch of f-bombs to them were dropped, and other nasties at the Christians on the project.  People who had negative experience with the Christian religion get irate over people on the project being upset about things.  Without even knowing what the ending was like, there was people upset at people who knew more than them, expressing concerns to an extent of wishing to quit.  This is intolerance.

Ok, let's put this another way.  Say there is a game like Bioshock Infinite out there, but you have a time scene where someone goes off and ends up practicing homosexuality in their early years, and then game then shows a world that is hell in the clouds and is homosexual, and it is connected, and then the idea is to have you go back and time and kill off your younger self to prevent this from happening.  And say, that while working on the project, some homosexual developers were up in arms about it and threatened to quit.  Would you, who happened to get upset at these Christians also get upset at the homosexuals?  Odds are, because of your value set, you likely wouldn't at all.  Because their ire is justified, but the fundamentalist Christian's ire isn't, because you dislike the Chr istian religion, and depending on how strongly your view of it, would want it to totally disappear.

The short, everyone has intolerance of this or that,  Even people who glorify in tolerance can't people who aren't as tolerant as they are.

Around the Network

Can you link the original thread and article? I'm a little behind here.

Scoobes said:
Can you link the original thread and article? I'm a little behind here.

I found a link to the article on this site.  In the comment section were a number of take offense at the Christian's threatening to quit over the game's ending.  I am unable to find the article.  I do believe at least one f-bomb was directed at the Christian in that thread.

There is nothing and I do mean nothing, that does not offend someone. In this case you cannot rightfully know "who" you are going to offend of your customers, so you have only those in your office to go on.

Should everyone's "offendedness" be treated equally? Sure. Should you act on everyone being offended? No. Nothing would ever get done.

With your Fund Christian vs the Homosexual reference, the answer should always be yes.

Ssenkahdavic said:
There is nothing and I do mean nothing, that does not offend someone. In this case you cannot rightfully know "who" you are going to offend of your customers, so you have only those in your office to go on.

Should everyone's "offendedness" be treated equally? Sure. Should you act on everyone being offended? No. Nothing would ever get done.

With your Fund Christian vs the Homosexual reference, the answer should always be yes.

This day and age, some degrees of being offended are seen as more proper than others.  What annoyed me a bit in regards to the being offended was that people who knew nothing of the ending to Infinite, happened to go off and judged those who knew much more about the game than they did.

Around the Network

Would have been hilarious if it was the homosexual one you mentioned in the OP. Hilarious because public outcry would be insaaaaane. But since Christianity isn't such a hot topic right now that's under as much scrutiny as homosexuality, it's no wonder why it'd make such a more controversial game topic.

i think also racists have been offended by this game

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Cool game, but it was clearly written by liberals.

Not really sure how I feel about the story. A lot of the racism and religious stuff was kinda unnecessary. Felt like they just wanted to be edgy, it was over the top.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

1. Not only is it anti-extremist, but the game is actually a criticism of Christianity in general that attacks the very foundation (sacrifice of the child for the sake of the world) of Christianity. I don't think people get how against Christianity (but not necessarily Christians) this game is.

2. Comparing it to homosexuality is not an apt description. There is quite a large difference between homosexuals (an oppressed group) and Christianity (the dominant culture). Also, at no point in known history did a gay zealot unite the gay community which then began oppressing others. This has happened with religions in the past, and with christianity in particular. In other words, a city run by a religious zealot that abuses his people is believable and relevant in the historical context of our society. A city run by homosexuals that enslaves heterosexuals would be silly.

3. If someone wanted to quit, then by all means. I wouldn't want to work on a project that I had severe ideological differences with.either. But, whats upsetting is the fact that a work of art may be altered for the sole purpose of appeasing someone's sensibilities.

@Mr. Puggsly: Funny how addressing something that happened in our history is considered edgy. The things portrayed in Infinite are not too far off from the reality of things, which is precisely why those themes were necessary. Any game that takes place in 1910-1920's America and doesn't address racism would be pretty inadequate.

Mr Puggsly said:

Cool game, but it was clearly written by liberals.

Not really sure how I feel about the story. A lot of the racism and religious stuff was kinda unnecessary. Felt like they just wanted to be edgy, it was over the top.

A lot of movies do the same thing and people don't consider them over the top or edgy (for the most part). This shouldn't be any different for games.

Nintendo and PC gamer