By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Game of Thrones (Season 3) Official Thread - New Poll!

Who is your favorite character?

Jon Snow 59 18.85%

Tyrion Lannister 88 28.12%

Arya Stark 47 15.02%

Jaime Lannister 19 6.07%

Joffrey Baratheon 9 2.88%

Robb Stark 20 6.39%

Sandor Clegane (The Hound) 5 1.60%

Ygritte 4 1.28%

Bran Stark 7 2.24%

Someone else/ See results 50 15.97%

Total:308
Andrespetmonkey said:
Hynad said:

It is easy to say that characters die for no reason when you don't even know what happens next. Their death could trigger a chain of event. Have you never though of this, Andrespetmonkey?

@bolded: Of course... that's why I asked book readers if there was a good reason to it.

And yeah, but I'm afraid they might not be as good as Robb's potential story, because the show's been building momentum for ages and I was expecting awesome things.

I think that question is very hard to answer without spoilers.  You have to read or watch and make that decision for yourself.  I would argue it is worth it, but we may differ.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Three people died but:

“So I finished the entire book and I had that one chapter left unwritten, where I had to actually go back and write it, and it was very, very difficult. I know it’s crazy, but like many authors, these characters become very real to me, so it felt like I was killing >two< friends of mine.”

Can someone explain this without giving anything away?

1 leech down and two to go!

In the books, Robb is married to a completely different character (Jeyne Westerling) and before setting out for The Twins, it is agreed that she should stay in Riverrun in order to avoid offending the Freys any further.  So in the books, Robb and Catelyn are the only two main characters to die at the Red Wedding.

Ah, thank you! :)

The PS5 Exists. 

KylieDog said:
So the Valerian tart died...

Thus a great plot of the books is screwed over, this pretty much confirms that the entire Blackfish/Jeyne thing will result in nothing and has been a waste of everyone time who read it, as well as GRRM's writing it..

Mean Volantine?  Unless you meant Valryian, in which case that "tart" lived this day.

I don't know, Martin has mentioned that the book and show will differ, much like Jago dying in season one and still living in the books.  They could easily introduce a new character for the show or rework a character (like they did Loras...poorly).   I will wait and see on that issue.

Andrespetmonkey said:
Augen said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
I don't understand the last episode. Does that mean all that build-up was for nothing? Seems like a waste of screen time and a shitty end to that part of the story. I'm not even pissed about those characters dying really, just that it seemed pointless. Book readers, is there a point to it?

That conventions of story telling don't confom to reality.   The notion that life to have a "point" needs some ending is based on our custom of story telling.  A Song of Ice and Fire is in certain respects a counter to traditional high fantasy tropes.  We want our bright hero to slay our dark villain in glorious fashion, but that is not how life works.  Westeros is more real than many other fantasy worlds because it is grim like medieval Europe truly was.  Book readers do not know how this ends (least the honest ones admit that) and that is part of the joy for me.  I have no clue who will sit on the Iron Throne and who will remain after this tumultous era.  It is refreshing that book 5 threw another curve ball making me go "WHAT?" yet again so cannot wait for book 6.

I am not saying it is for anyone, but I adore it.

I'm not saying I want the good guys to always win, I'm just saying killing off main characters for no reason seems like bad writing. 

The writers can kill whoever they want, even my beloved daenerys (pls no), but if it's just for the sake of it then it seems like a waste and lost potential, even if it makes it more "real" at the same time. If you like it, awesome, but I don't buy your justification. 

In one move Tywin Lannister just completely obliterated his most powerful enemy and secured the entire North because of Tyrion's marriage to Sansa. Quite frankly, he would have been stupid to do anything else.

You classify that as "no reason"?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

KylieDog said:
So the Valerian tart died...

Thus a great plot of the books is screwed over, this pretty much confirms that the entire Blackfish/Jeyne thing will result in nothing and has been a wste of everyone time who read it, as well as GRRM's writing it..

The TV series is ruining the books.

Rather more significantly, I don't believe any mention was made of Jon Snow being Robb's heir in the show, so I guess we can throw that out too (not that it was ever especially likely that anything would come of it).

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Augen said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
I don't understand the last episode. Does that mean all that build-up was for nothing? Seems like a waste of screen time and a shitty end to that part of the story. I'm not even pissed about those characters dying really, just that it seemed pointless. Book readers, is there a point to it?

That conventions of story telling don't confom to reality.   The notion that life to have a "point" needs some ending is based on our custom of story telling.  A Song of Ice and Fire is in certain respects a counter to traditional high fantasy tropes.  We want our bright hero to slay our dark villain in glorious fashion, but that is not how life works.  Westeros is more real than many other fantasy worlds because it is grim like medieval Europe truly was.  Book readers do not know how this ends (least the honest ones admit that) and that is part of the joy for me.  I have no clue who will sit on the Iron Throne and who will remain after this tumultous era.  It is refreshing that book 5 threw another curve ball making me go "WHAT?" yet again so cannot wait for book 6.

I am not saying it is for anyone, but I adore it.

I'm not saying I want the good guys to always win, I'm just saying killing off main characters for no reason seems like bad writing. 

The writers can kill whoever they want, even my beloved daenerys (pls no), but if it's just for the sake of it then it seems like a waste and lost potential, even if it makes it more "real" at the same time. If you like it, awesome, but I don't buy your justification. 

In one move Tywin Lannister just completely obliterated his most powerful enemy and secured the entire North because of Tyrion's marriage to Sansa. Quite frankly, he would have been stupid to do anything else.

No, and I didn't think of that. Still, that's more of a reason for Tywin to kill those characters off and not a reason for the writers to, if you know what I mean. I'm taking a wait and see approach now to see if this'll spawn some interesting plot lines. 

Andrespetmonkey said:
Kantor said:

No, and I didn't think of that. Still, that's more of a reason for Tywin to kill those characters off and not a reason for the writers to, if you know what I mean. I'm taking a wait and see approach now to see if this'll spawn some interesting plot lines. 

Tywin Lannister is consistently described as a ruthless and extremely intelligent man. He doesn't care about "guest right", he cares about winning his war at any cost, preferably the least cost to his own family possible.

Now if this whole thing had been organised by Lysa Arryn or something, you would have a point. But the Red Wedding fits perfectly into the characters of Tywin, Walder Frey and Robb.

Kantor said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

Tywin Lannister is consistently described as a ruthless and extremely intelligent man. He doesn't care about "guest right", he cares about winning his war at any cost, preferably the least cost to his own family possible.

Now if this whole thing had been organised by Lysa Arryn or something, you would have a point. But the Red Wedding fits perfectly into the characters of Tywin, Walder Frey and Robb.

Ok, sure, I guess I'm just pissed that so much momentum was built and I was waiting for him to do some epic shit for ages, and now I'll get nothing from him or his army. 

I find Arya's story to be much more interesting, so if this significantly adds to her plotline then I am 100% for it.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Great episode last night, I havnt read the books so i wasnt expecting it and could not see that coming, ill admit it stunned me bigtime, even during today at work ive been thinking of it (so that is the sign of a excellent series).
Im gutted and sort of not at the same time. Im gutted because i did like Catelyn and Robb Stark and would of liked them to survive, but at the same time it made the best TV ive ever watched.
Im really interested to see where this takes the story now, Robb was the one of the Lannisters main rivals but not the biggest. The fact that Daenerys Targaryen is creating the biggest army westeros will ever see backed with 3 fire breathing dragons will make them standup and notice, infact im almost convinced that she will get the iron throne back in her name, i dont think theres anybody that can beat her now. And then you have everybody elses stories going on  like the rest of the stark kids, jon snow, gendry and stannis with the red witch! man i love this show :)

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website