By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinions: What is bigger. Call of Duty or Mario

bananaking21 said:
Flanneryaug said:
Short term: Call of Duty
Long term: Mario

Call of Duty will eventually fade away, like all of Activision's milked franchises.

we honestly have to see how CoD transitions into next gen. if they manage to bring something new, push away the feeling of "seen it, done that" CoD might go on as strong as it is next gen. plus activision (not including blizzard) never had a game this big, and never had a game that was considered popular culture like CoD is. you cant compare CoD to other IP's from activision, because CoD is en entirely different case

I sure hope they'll be less FPS that try to imitate it, but that's unlikely :[

Around the Network

A game series that is on all consoles is slightly more popular than a platform exclusive, provided you ignore the handheld portion of the market?

Okay..

Love and tolerate.

D-Minaj225 said:
bananaking21 said:
Flanneryaug said:

Call of Duty will eventually fade away, like all of Activision's milked franchises.

we honestly have to see how CoD transitions into next gen. if they manage to bring something new, push away the feeling of "seen it, done that" CoD might go on as strong as it is next gen. plus activision (not including blizzard) never had a game this big, and never had a game that was considered popular culture like CoD is. you cant compare CoD to other IP's from activision, because CoD is en entirely different case

maybe its the hype talking right now, but i see more FPS will try to imitate destiny after its released. also it seems that developers have learned that imitating CoD wont result in success, since the constumer would rather buy CoD if their game is like it. the thing is, if games are more unique and do their thing, they are most likely to be more successful than tryin to imitate CoD, a recent example is bioshock infinite, with its 96 meta

bananaking21 said:
D-Minaj225 said:
bananaking21 said:
Flanneryaug said:

maybe its the hype talking right now, but i see more FPS will try to imitate destiny after its released. also it seems that developers have learned that imitating CoD wont result in success, since the constumer would rather buy CoD if their game is like it. the thing is, if games are more unique and do their thing, they are most likely to be more successful than tryin to imitate CoD, a recent example is bioshock infinite, with its 96 meta

Halo.  And people has been trying to imitate Halo for years and has failed.  Now Bungie is and well since they made Halo of course they will do a good job.  Im super hyped for it as well but the similarities between Halo and Destiny is a lot.  I love Bungie and it's probably my most anticipated game.

You've never played Halo huh?  Real question.  I think i remember hearing you say before you have never played one.

bananaking21 said:
D-Minaj225 said:
bananaking21 said:
Flanneryaug said:

yep completely agree, what baffles me the most is that most COD players that I know buy every iteration says the new one sucks and yet they still play it 24/7 and buy the next one a year later

Around the Network
the_dengle said:

JayWood, if I wasn't about to leave I'd be tempted to make a rebuttal thread comparing Mario sales to COD sales exclusively on 7th-gen handhelds. No console or PC sales. That's how disingenuous this premise seems to me.

Lol, it's no contest. On DS, you get like 30m, 25m, 10m and 9m for NSMB, MKDS, SM64DS and MPDS respectively, from the top of my head and I'm sure there's more Mario games on DS still. Against what, 2-4m total CoD sales on both DS and PSP?

Mario is more popular.
You can't compare sales of a yearly multiplatform series with sales of a series that gets only one game per platform. If there was one Mario game per year sales would beat the crap out of Call of Duty. If there was one game per year on every platform available the difference would be even higher. Also, the DS game sold more than the Wii one - what do handheld CoD's sell like again? And I'd really like to see sales of "CoD: Karting" or other spinoffs.

(Not ranting at you Jay. This is a valid thread and I appreciate it.)

Call of Duty. The hype around each release, the longevity of the multiplayer....and the sales speak for themselves.

S.Peelman said:
the_dengle said:

JayWood, if I wasn't about to leave I'd be tempted to make a rebuttal thread comparing Mario sales to COD sales exclusively on 7th-gen handhelds. No console or PC sales. That's how disingenuous this premise seems to me.

Lol, it's no contest. On DS, you get like 30m, 25m, 10m and 9m for NSMB, MKDS, SM64DS and MPDS respectively, from the top of my head and I'm sure there's more Mario games on DS still. Against what, 5-10m total CoD sales on both DS and PSP?

Home consoles.  Wouldnt think i would have to repeat myself over and over.

JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
D-Minaj225 said:
bananaking21 said:
Flanneryaug said:

Halo.  And people has been trying to imitate Halo for years and has failed.  Now Bungie is and well since they made Halo of course they will do a good job.  Im super hyped for it as well but the similarities between Halo and Destiny is a lot.  I love Bungie and it's probably my most anticipated game.

You've never played Halo huh?  Real question.  I think i remember hearing you say before you have never played one.

Did you watch the bungie GDC conference about destiny? pretty much they show that its not like halo, at all. they do show that master chief was one of the influence's in creating characters in the game they clearly talk about the essence of destiny, what its like, what its supposed to be. so even though at first glance it might look like halo or feel like it. the core of the game, the essence is completly different, they basically say and show this. and its one of their goals to make a game that isnt like halo actually.

and sadly no, i never played it, though i found out just recently that halo 1 and halo 2 are on PC. i will be playing those bad boys