By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinions: What is bigger. Call of Duty or Mario

JayWood2010 said:
the_dengle said:
Call of Duty was bigger this past gen, but Mario will endure for longer and will remain on top.

Also, you didn't include handheld Mario & Call of Duty. No cheating!

I also didnt include handheld call of duty games.  I was talking about home consoles. Ill put that in the OP

You forgot a PSP CoD game.

CoD had 35 games this gen?! Mario is bigger though, the relevant Mario games sold as much as the biggest CoD games combined and CoD only wins in the end because it has had more releases. If handhelds are included Mario wins easily and CoD sales will continue to shrink anyway.

Around the Network
LinkVPit said:
JayWood2010 said:
LinkVPit said:
Based on them figures COD, but then its multi-platform and has 24 games to Mario's 15.

But I would argue Mario, as less than 30mil behind despite being exclusive to one console is very impressive.

Also thats a hell of alot of COD games in 7 years!

it is actually only like 7 CoD games.  They are just showing different consoles.  

I know! lol. 3 MW's 2 BO's 1 W@W, COD3 and i've spent way to much time playing them. But still less games released and all on one console I say Mario gets the win. 

MW3 sold 30m. One console doesnt matter.  Mario would likely not get more customers by going multiplat.  It would just split the customers and potentially may gain a little, not much.

Mario. It will last longer.

JayWood, if I wasn't about to leave I'd be tempted to make a rebuttal thread comparing Mario sales to COD sales exclusively on 7th-gen handhelds. No console or PC sales. That's how disingenuous this premise seems to me.

Short term: Call of Duty
Long term: Mario

Call of Duty will eventually fade away, like all of Activision's milked franchises.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Around the Network

Mario is more popular, COD is bigger and has more steady sells.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Call of Duty unfortunaly, Mario isn't as popular as he was in the 1980s and 1990s

I agree with most in this thread. You should include handheld sales.

Flanneryaug said:
Short term: Call of Duty
Long term: Mario

Call of Duty will eventually fade away, like all of Activision's milked franchises.

we honestly have to see how CoD transitions into next gen. if they manage to bring something new, push away the feeling of "seen it, done that" CoD might go on as strong as it is next gen. plus activision (not including blizzard) never had a game this big, and never had a game that was considered popular culture like CoD is. you cant compare CoD to other IP's from activision, because CoD is en entirely different case

If you are talking as a whole franchise then it doesn't really make sense to exclude handhelds. Nearly as many handhelds sold this past generation as home consoles. Part of Mario's value and power is that there are great iterations on both home and handheld consoles.

The numbers notwithstanding I would have to say Mario because it is still far more likely to still be popular 5 years from now.  Activision should be pretty happy with themselves though.