By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinions: What is bigger. Call of Duty or Mario

How would they compare if neither of them got bundled?

Around the Network
superchunk said:
ryuzaki57 said:

I shall question your logic. First, you compare a game doesn't even have 6 six on the market (BO2) to a 2009 game (NSMBWii). If you take time into account, BO2 is much, much stronger than NSMBWii.

Mario games having a lesser possible user base doesn't mean much : PS360 owners have a choice between many games in a full array of genres, so it's only normal that one game would have a smaller sales/user base ratio. Wii owners don't have that kind rich library, and many of them probably hardly know there are games beyond mario.

Ultimately, I want to add a new point. In economics you don't just consider units, but value. A CoD game costs 20€ more than your average mario game, not to mention the extra revenue that comes from the DLCs.

For all those reasons, it is clear that Call of Duty is a much bigger business than mario.

1) I compared two COD games... not just the newer BO2.

2) You're entire 2nd paragraph is your opinion that is completely wrong in the face of actual facts. Wii (which was the only Mario focus in this thread) had a lot more overall software titles available, especially at a lower price point.

3) Your economics point is wrong too. COD titles may have started at $60 vs Wii's $50, however, which one fell in price sooner and more often? NSMB/Galaxy/Kart or any COD? Nintendo relentlessly keeps original price for freaking ever... and that's not even considering the "value" in all the Mario merchandising.

For all your post, it is clear you have a biased opinion beyond factual evidence.

Mario sells consoles, on its own, repeatedly, for over 25years.

COD does not sale consoles at any time, ever.

Tell me what would happen if Call of Duty would go exclusive?  I want to know.

JayWood2010 said:

Tell me what would happen if Call of Duty would go exclusive?  I want to know.

It would sell dramatically less overall.

superchunk said:
ryuzaki57 said:

I shall question your logic. First, you compare a game doesn't even have 6 six on the market (BO2) to a 2009 game (NSMBWii). If you take time into account, BO2 is much, much stronger than NSMBWii.

Mario games having a lesser possible user base doesn't mean much : PS360 owners have a choice between many games in a full array of genres, so it's only normal that one game would have a smaller sales/user base ratio. Wii owners don't have that kind rich library, and many of them probably hardly know there are games beyond mario.

Ultimately, I want to add a new point. In economics you don't just consider units, but value. A CoD game costs 20€ more than your average mario game, not to mention the extra revenue that comes from the DLCs.

For all those reasons, it is clear that Call of Duty is a much bigger business than mario.

3) Your economics point is wrong too. COD titles may have started at $60 vs Wii's $50, however, which one fell in price sooner and more often? NSMB/Galaxy/Kart or any COD? Nintendo relentlessly keeps original price for freaking ever... and that's not even considering the "value" in all the Mario merchandising.

Also, I'd like to point out that development of a game like NSMBWii would likely be far lower than something like an HD COD. Hence, more profit from sales.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

pezus said:

Isn't it unfair to compare a character to a franchise though? Mario Kart is not Super Mario Bros or Mario Party (lol)

Whaaat? :-O

I do admit you have a point with this, but c'mon, you have neglected this fact whenever we talked about "milking".

Around the Network
morenoingrato said:
pezus said:

Isn't it unfair to compare a character to a franchise though? Mario Kart is not Super Mario Bros or Mario Party (lol)

Whaaat? :-O

I do admit you have a point with this, but c'mon, you have neglected this fact whenever we talked about "milking".

IF you go to my top 10 fanchises you could say in a way all of them are milked.  Good thing they are all of high quality too :)