By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinions: What is bigger. Call of Duty or Mario

Is this a serious question?

Around the Network

Not a fair battle, not only Mario is probably bigger but he can also cheat:

JayWood2010 said:

Home consoles.  Wouldnt think i would have to repeat myself over and over.

You have to repeat yourself over and over because it's an arbitrary restriction that makes no sense. You should have just asked which IP is bigger on 360 and been done with it.

And I will repeat: you have PC games in your "home console" comparison.

Alphachris said:
In my opinion it is fair to make a differnce between home consoles and handhelds. It is very questionable if those are real substitutes.

* A console needs a TV set and there is competition for the TV-set. If someone wants to watch TV or a DVD you can't play with the console at the same time. If you have a handheld you do not need a TV set and you can play whenever you want, even on the go.
* You can play splitscreen coop with a console, but you need two handhelds to play coop.
* Handhelds do not offer the same technolical experience as consoles.
* Handhelds have a limited screensize
* Handhelds (especially from Nintendo) are often bought for Kids as entry game device. You know what I mean if you go into a department store looking for a game like Final Fantasy IV and see what other games are available...

The next thing is that CoD only covers 1 genre. CoD is surely bigger on home consoles than Mario Platformers or Mario Kart racing games.

We should also note that CoD sold that well despite quality competition... There are many high quality shooter who could take away sales from CoD. (Battlefield, Halo, Killzone, Resisance,....) while there is not much competiton for Super Mario Galaxy or Mario Kart´that could take sales away.

So in the end CoD really seems to be bigger on home consoles for me. But I did not play a single CoD game by now and I never will as I do not like Shooters. So I personally would take Mario over CoD if someone would offer me a free game. But on a neutral point of view CoD should win this fight on home consoles.

Most logical reply I've seen although it will probably get ignored by many. 

and they say mario gets milked. 35 vs 15 games.

Around the Network

Mario because it can handle over 100m on a single console where call of duty cannot even reach 150 on 4 systems.

And if you are fair and include EVERY system there is millions of mario kart 7, Mario 3d Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2 sales you didnt mention.

(I mean why did you include PC but not 3ds?)

So  Mario wins hands down.

BTW you forgot  Mario Golf, Mario Tennis  etc....

Nem said:
and they say mario gets milked. 35 vs 15 games.

People also forget that Mario is not simply Mario.  So when you have 30000 Kart games but only 1 Mario jump n run  people cant just say Mario in general is milked.  The kart games are.

Mario has like:
-Kart
-Party
-New series
-3D Mario (well 3D Land is actually something different than Galaxy etc.)
-Soccer Games
-Golf
-Tennis
-etc.....
-(Smash Bros was actually called  Super Mario Smash Bros. before they renamed it into Super Smash Bros.  So would this also count as MARIO game then? I dont think so)

COD is a shooter   so Black Ops and Modern warfare are actually the same and just 2 different (fake) series so people dont get that its the same every year. And it works.

CoD now sells every year as much as mario LTD. No debate here. And with the casual crowd progressively withdrawind from the console market, it's safe to assume CoD will remain the king for some time.

ryuzaki57 said:
CoD now sells every year as much as mario LTD. No debate here. And with the casual crowd progressively withdrawind from the console market, it's safe to assume CoD will remain the king for some time.

Erm.... CoD would suffer from a casual withdrawal though.

VGChartz

1) since when is PC a home console?
2) Basically you're comparing the sales of 15 games to that of 35?

Mario >>>>> COD, its really no contest when you take it into its true perspective of number of actual games and overall userbase differences.

ryuzaki57 said:

COD sells alot on a userbase that includes the entireity of all possible gamers. Consider how big Mario would be if it wasn't exclusive to one console?